+74

It's pretty stupid that 3/196 countries still use the imperial system after many countries countries changed to the metric system. amirite?

cazhaztoezs avatar Countries & Places
1 29
The voters have decided that cazhaztoez is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1831024

I'm guessing that you're a Redditor, given your addition of a TL;DR. You get an upvote for that

smattafus avatar smattafu Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1831047

There you go. More upvotes for everyone!

smattafus avatar smattafu Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1831024

How on Earth is the imperial system more accurate? Most metric units are smaller than their closest imperial counterpart (centimetre<inch, kilometre<mile, etc.).
I know that Australia used to used the metric system up until about 1970 (having used it since British colonization, obviously), and the metrication process has been very successful. No-one under about 25 even knows how long an inch is, or how fast 30 mph is.

And by the way, summarising your post in exactly the same words that you just used is really not the purpose of tl;dr segments.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1831053

I could ask you the same question. You really seem to hate metric users.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1831056

This is true. I read too much into it, I think. Although you did insult it a bit. However, I never suggested that the use of imperial measurement in the US bothered me. I just provided counterarguments to the points you raised.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1831063

The two things that really irritate me are the different electrical plugs and DVD regions. Not just the US, either. EVERYWHERE has to have something different. But that's not the topic at hand, so I'll stop.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1831050

Wow, that's a great counterargument. I'm going to go campaign for imperial measurements in Australia now.

Essems avatar Essem Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1831024

Yes but the point is, most country's changed the way they measured things in some UN agreement (Not quite sure about it, but I've heard about it a few times) in the same agreement, they decided that Non-English speaking countries would use English as a second language.

Also, take note that I'm not insulting you, or the people in your country. I'm saying, it's stupid, as a whole. For a country to Ignore that agreement that everyone else took seriously is odd. /shrug.

cazhaztoezs avatar cazhaztoez Yeah You Are 0Reply

Adopting a new system is never easy when the current one has been used for so long.

3/196 sounds like something out of the imperial measurement system.

I bet it would have been called something weird, like a rail. It would have been used as a small unit of length. 36 of these would have been equal to an inch.

"Three rails of vulcanised rope!" one would say. "I have a quill needing the repairs!"
"That is two pounds twenty-three," replies the shopkeeper.
And they will both go on their merry way.

smattafus avatar smattafu Yeah You Are +5Reply
@smattafu 3/196 sounds like something out of the imperial measurement system. I bet it would have been called something...

ummm it says 3/196 because there are 3 countries that use it, out if 196 counties in the world...

@MyHotHotJam ummm it says 3/196 because there are 3 countries that use it, out if 196 counties in the world...

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that the number looks like it would be a common number in the Imperial system. They use weird numbers.

Don't forget it's the same amount of courses the Queen has at her daily meals.Or some shit like that.

cazhaztoezs avatar cazhaztoez Yeah You Are +1Reply

I live in the United States and I use both. Which one I use depends on what I'm talking about.
Metric: Length, Distance (due to this, speed as well), Volume.
Imperial: Temperature, Weight/Mass

It's annoying that I have to waste time in school learning to convert metric into imperial because Americans refuse to stop using King Henry's foot as a unit of measurement.

@It's annoying that I have to waste time in school learning to convert metric into imperial because Americans refuse...

Telling someone's height in feet and inches, or construction workers measuring cut sizes in inches....over here, it's as much ingrained into our culture as using a toilet. We will never, ever, ever, start saying things like "I'm 1.6 meters tall," or, "I weight 87 kilograms." We're comfortable with our system and we love it.

613s avatar 613 No Way 0Reply

But I agree that it's retarded that your curriculum thinks YOU need to learn the Imperial measurement system, just because Americans use it. We wouldn't care if it was necessary to translate numbers with Germans. We love Germans. Almost as much as we love measuring dick size in inches.

613s avatar 613 No Way 0Reply

I live in America so of course I've grown up using the imperial system but each year we are taught at least some about the metric system & in chemistry we do conversions with it so I can at least do basic math using the metric. :)

@I live in America so of course I've grown up using the imperial system but each year we are taught at least some...

Yeah, most scientists prefer to use the metric system because it easier to write report and understand other countries reports easier :)

It's a habit we can't shake. Here in Canada we switched decades ago, but c'mon. Pounds, feet, inches....measuring the human body in centimeters and kiliograms is just not heard of. It's weird.

The important thing is that our scientists use the metric system, which improves their productivity.

Do Germans measure their dick size in centimeters?

613s avatar 613 No Way 0Reply

I'm working on my degree, online, from a cheap house in a rural village. I wish pal, I wish.

613s avatar 613 No Way 0Reply