+35

One of your fears is one day passing on your bad habits like swearing and talking about sex on to your kids. But a bigger fear is having that be normal for the rest of society. amirite?

BagelFinagles avatar Life
1 10
The voters have decided that BagelFinagle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Eh, whatever, teenagers are always going to talk and think a lot about sex. Everyone goes through it and eventually grows out of it. Same thing with swearing. I don't think either thing is too big a deal.
But hey, who could blame 'em? Sex is fucking awesome.

@ContinuityMistake Eh, whatever, teenagers are always going to talk and think a lot about sex. Everyone goes through it and eventually...

Sure, but I mean more like...there are five year olds that know what a blow job is. Makes me really fucking scared of what I'm going to teach my kids someday.

BagelFinagles avatar BagelFinagle Yeah You Are -4Reply
@Mike_Hawk Why is that a problem, though?

I'm typically really liberal when it comes to discussing sex/swearing to children, but I do have a younger sibling and it puts into perspective the way I'd feel about a person close to me. No, ideally there is nothing wrong with sex, but it kinda becomes tricky in children because you want to preserve that innocence a little bit longer.

@spareseconds I'm typically really liberal when it comes to discussing sex/swearing to children, but I do have a younger sibling...

Preserving innocence only causes problems. Esspecially when people go out of their way to do it.

@spareseconds when you said " No, ideally there is nothing wrong with sex, but it kinda becomes tricky in children because you want to preserve that innocence a little bit longer" I totally read that the wrong way.

As far as swearing goes, I'm going to teach my children that there's a time and a place for it. No, I don't want them feeling comfortable with it because I don't want them doing it in public when other people might be uncomfortable with it. But if they feel the need to express their emotions with cuss words, then I see nothing wrong.

For sex, I'm not going to come up with a bunch of lies about where babies come from. But I'm also not going to explain to them what a blow job is. I'll simply give the "I'll tell you when you're older" answer and hope they forget about it until they're old enough to understand and find out on their own.

I don't really care if my kids talk about sex or swear.

Neither of those are bad habits.

Who cares if that's the norm? There's nothing inherently wrong with swearing. Civilisation makes it wrong.