+121

It would be really weird if something was invented way before its time. Like speed boats in the Victorian Era, amirite?

Saberbitss avatar Technology
2 18
The voters have decided that Saberbits is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think the sentiment in this post is part of the creative motivation for the "steam punk" genre.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1835954

Weren't the civil war battleships iron-clad rather than pure iron. I thought the first all-iron ship was Brunel's "Great Britain" (i think that's what it was called) - because he was ridiculed and called "mad" for designing this ship that would obviously sink as soon as it hit the water. Oh there wasn't enough egg for all their faces. Plus - Aztec "brain surgery" wasn't QUITE as we know it now. The problem with some of these suggestions too is...when is "the time" for these things?

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1836083

I guess, maybe the brain surgery one was. But iron-clad ships definitely wasn't ahead - Brunel's all-iron ship was also around that time. And we'd built the railways and a subway by then too. The space technology was pretty advanced, considering their computers were utterly primitive.

@1836563

First modern railways were open and fully running by 1830s, and London's subway opened in 1863 - when the US was embroiled in its brutal civil war. The nineteenth century was pretty amazing all round in fact, but you can't underestimate people of that time - if it weren't for the two world wars getting in the way, that kind of science could have happened even faster, we could have had the internet way earlier.

@1836629

Don't you think that's just wild speculation - the war may have driven it then, but that's not to say it's the only thing that could have driven it - perhaps peaceful application would have been a better way to go!

@1836859

You're also forgetting, that a war itself is not necessary for the production of such technology. That's my point. The threat is quite enough. We didn't actually have to go through the wars themselves in order to get the technology. Look at the Cold War - we never actually went to war with the Soviet Union, but look what the very idea of it created. So to say that we couldn't have achieved such advances without the war is a fallacy. My point is, that once we'd reached the mid 19th century, very little should have been such a big surprise by then - the age of invention and discovery was really hotting up then. In my mind, wars are more the engines of production and employment - but invention is better driven by the looming threat of a war, because it drives a society to create the things it will inevitably need to defend itself.

@1836992

Easily, the Cold War was an excellent example. But also the threat of war is a more useful tool for governments than war itself, which is why it is employed more than actual war, genius.

@TommyUK1234 Easily, the Cold War was an excellent example. But also the threat of war is a more useful tool for governments...

Geeze guys, are you trying to fill up my notification inbox? Although I can't say I'm mad. It's interesting to read what you guys are talking about :P...

Saberbitss avatar Saberbits Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1837244

It aint pretty but it's effective. Look at the advances we made during the Cold War. I'm not endorsing it, I'm just saying it's a sad reality. Much as war in reality is a superb boost for industrial output