-115

You wonder what British people call potato chips, since they call french fries 'chips', amirite?

MissAutumnFalls avatar Food & Drink
0 41
The voters have decided that MissAutumnFall is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Crisps

This probably should have been aimed at Americans since everyone that voted on the most knew but us..

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1842533

"Kiwis are delicious."

Thats one sentence I'll never say ever again....

South Africa:
French fries are called hot chips. Also known as chips or slap chips (pronounced "slup").
Lays, etc. are chips or potato chips.
So both are chips but the fries are normally called hot chips to avoid confusion.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Why are they called slap chips?

It's Afrikaans for (according to Google Translate) slack, soft, limp or mushy (I never knew that) - since the ones that are really oily and gross are mushy.

I'm pretty sure British people call a french fry a fry...

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm I'm pretty sure you're wrong...

Having been British all my life, I'm pretty sure I'm not. And I won't be apologising for ruining your fantasies, disillusioned people of America.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Yes, it is my fantasy for British people to call french fries "chips."

It's good that you can admit that it is only fantastical and not actually true. It takes a big person to admit that they are wrong. Apparently.

@dzmax It's good that you can admit that it is only fantastical and not actually true. It takes a big person to admit that...

I don't believe I said I was wrong, but thank you for your interest. By the way, you should brush up on your knowledge of sarcastic comments.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm I don't believe I said I was wrong, but thank you for your interest. By the way, you should brush up on your...

I'm telling you that you were wrong. Don't be under the mistaken impression that my comment was misinformed.

@1842922

I didn't say that you did... I said that it's good you can admit that your belief is false, and then I followed that on with the adage of admitting to being wrong taking guts. Just so we're clear.

@dzmax I didn't say that you did... I said that it's good you can admit that your belief is false, and then I followed...

I never said my belief is false. I simply stated that it is not a fantasy of mine for British people to call french fries "chips." We must have vastly different opinions of what fantasy means if you thought that was an admission of a false belief.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm I never said my belief is false. I simply stated that it is not a fantasy of mine for British people to call french...

That is a fantasy - you believe it to be true when it is not. I don't have an opinion on what the word means, only its actual definition.

@dzmax That is a fantasy - you believe it to be true when it is not. I don't have an opinion on what the word means, only...

No, a fantasy is "The faculty or activity of imagining things that are impossible or improbable." It is very possible that Brits could, in fact, call french fries "chips." Perhaps you are trying to think of the word fallacy? A fallacy is when you believe something to be true when it is not.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm No, a fantasy is "The faculty or activity of imagining things that are impossible or improbable." It is very...

A fantasy is also a belief that exists only in one's imagination. Words don't all have one definition only... That definition you have quoted is from the Oxford English Dictionary, and it also has "an idea with no basis in reality" as another definition of the same word. If you're going to quote, at least be impartial about it.

@dzmax Having been British all my life, I'm pretty sure I'm not. And I won't be apologising for ruining your fantasies...

Oh shut up and stop being pissy. I'm also British and have lived in England all my life. The only time we call them fries is with regards to fast food and sometimes not even then. Ever heard the phrase "fish and fries"? No, because the normal word is chips. You're wrong.

@Oh shut up and stop being pissy. I'm also British and have lived in England all my life. The only time we call...

Have you never stopped to think that maybe that's because you eat chips with fish, rather than fries? There is a clear distinction between fries and chips. Just look in a supermarket freezer and you'll see that for yourself.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm You're an idiot.

Says the foreigner who seems content with believing that the only place one finds fries in the UK is in McDonald's.

@1845217

I didn't say that there was a point when you did say that...

@dzmax I didn't say that there was a point when you did say that...

You said I believe it though, and how would you know what I believe if I don't say it? Your argument is pointless, you are saying things without being able to back them up. Another person from your country has said you are wrong. I really don't care what British people call fries. And I am not done with this conversation because you are bringing up no good points.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm You said I believe it though, and how would you know what I believe if I don't say it? Your argument is pointless...

I said you seem content with believing it, not that I am confident you are. I'm not making an argument; I was merely making a statement of fact that a few sad people have latched onto and decided to explode into a massive thing. The 'Another person' who claims to be British is misinformed. I'm not about to walk up to a supermarket freezer and take a photo of the chips and the fries; I'm only prepared to expend the amount of effort required to find the Wikipedia page about french fries, and I have found that the opening paragraph on there supports my claims. Wikipedia may not be a reputable source of information in academic circles, but this is a website of anecdotes amongst other things and I think that Wikipedia will suffice in this context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Cool story bro. Like I said, I really don't care.

You also said you weren't done with the conversation. It's a bit of a contradiction, really.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Typo, I meant I am done. Have a lovely day being a dick.

How cheap and ignorant of you to assume that everyone else is as ignorant, narrow-minded, and provocative (and I use that one lightly for lack of a better word) as you.