+60

A society with cultural, social, economic, intellectual, biological, etc. equality is essentially prone to failure as they can not evolve, and will become susceptible to cultural and social stagnation, amirite?

Soups avatar Life
2 4
The voters have decided that Soup is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I might just be misunderstanding, but I've never heard of a culture striving for such things like intellectual or economic equality.. I know that many strive to create equal opportunities for these things, but it would be virtually impossible to have a population that was all in one economic class or all had a specific level of intelligence.

@rowanne I might just be misunderstanding, but I've never heard of a culture striving for such things like intellectual or...

There has been no society to my knowledge that has yet to do such things. What sparked this post was Kurt Vonnegut's short story "Harrison Bergeron". I highly recommend you read it. It's pretty much society where everyone is as equal as equal can be.

Soups avatar Soup Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1843343

The way I see it, communism is mainly economic. The society "Harrison Bergeron" describes is arguably not communist, since instead of striving to be economically equal, it disables people with talents in certain areas so that they will not get an unfair advantage. Communism is when the means of production are in the hands of the community, and there is equal distribution of wealth. As far as I can tell, nobody is arguing for cultural or biological equality.