+173

The only requirement to be a guy is to have a penis, and the only requirement to be a girl is to have a vagina. All other traits and characteristics we attribute to each gender are unnecessary and just establish gender roles. For example, guys shouldn't have to feel pressured to be athletic, tough, logical and the breadwinner of the family. Girls shouldn't have to feel pressured to be "feminine" all the time. There's too much social pressure to conform to the 'identifying traits' of each gender, amirite?

Mooses avatar Life
11 17
The voters have decided that Moose is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What about people that have a vagina but identify as male or vice versa?

@Wunderscore What about people that have a vagina but identify as male or vice versa?

The point was that gender, genitalia doesn't matter. People should just be what they want instead of having to worry about gender and if what they're doing identifies with whatever they in their crotch.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Moose The point was that gender, genitalia doesn't matter. People should just be what they want instead of having to...

"The only requirement to be a guy is to have a penis, and the only requirement to be a girl is to have a vagina" is what I was referring to.

@Wunderscore "The only requirement to be a guy is to have a penis, and the only requirement to be a girl is to have a vagina" is...

Oh, I see. It slipped my mind to add it in the post, but now I see it's a crucial flaw. :/

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are +12Reply
@1847446

Trans people make up a tiny percentage of the population, they're statistical outliers for most things about gender or sex, they can be excluded sometimes when discussing such things, as 99% of the population aren't transgender or intersex, the vast majority of people are clearly male or female.

Like frogy8thefly, I agree with your point - all being a boy or man should mean is that you're male, and all being a girl or woman should mean is that you're female; it shouldn't have anything to do with your personality traits (aggressive, submissive, meek, cheerful, caring) or interests (cars, cooking, make up).

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply

The testosterone and estrogen helps attribute to those certain traits though.

Ethans avatar Ethan No Way +10Reply
@Ethan The testosterone and estrogen helps attribute to those certain traits though.

Sure, those traits are more easily observable because we're biologically more likely to be that way. But you shouldn't have to feel pressured to conform to 'your gender' if you don't carry those traits.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Moose Sure, those traits are more easily observable because we're biologically more likely to be that way. But you...

I agree that people have the ability to choose, but it would be going out of their natural ways is what i'm saying.

Ethans avatar Ethan No Way 0Reply
@Ethan I agree that people have the ability to choose, but it would be going out of their natural ways is what i'm saying.

If your personality naturally identifies with the accepted gender traits of your sex, that's cool. I'm not saying you have to act differently to go out of any natural tendency. I'm encouraging the embracement of natural tendencies.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are +8Reply

I don't know why this has so many thumbs down. It's the realest post I've ever seen on here, and really made me think. Thank you.

agree and disagree. gender stereotypes shouldn't be so important, but instead of having "the bits" the requirement to be a gender should be that you identify as such (so as to include trans*)
thats all
good opinion tho
y smilie

song starts at 58 seconds

@song starts at 58 seconds

My sister loves dani shay

Graverottis avatar Graverotti Yeah You Are 0Reply

This post is too idealistic. There are a lot of "identifying traits" that are unnecessary, but there are plenty that are necessary. Claiming that the only requirement for gender identification is to have either a penis or vagina is asinine and naive. (I'm not even arguing from the transgender POV.)

I don't know if gender roles are presently or will, in the future, be detrimental and/or act as an impedance to humanity's progress, but I do know that if it weren't for gender roles being established they way they were, humanity as a whole would not be where it presently is. So I definitely think that system has some merit to it.

Whether or not gender roles should stop being so distinct and start being more integrated is not something I'm privy to, but I do think our current status as a species is due in part to gender roles.

@This post is too idealistic. There are a lot of "identifying traits" that are unnecessary, but there are plenty...

Of course our current status as a species would be different, and perhaps gender roles were necessary to survive in terms of evolution. But currently, in today's society, they're useless.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are +2Reply

This is kind of how I feel when my brother calls me a girl for watching MLP,