+200

People with drug and alcohol addictions should not be considered disabled and tax payers should not be forced to support them, amirite?

Catbaaneds avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
2 16
The voters have decided that Catbaaned is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

People with drug and alcohol addictions have a health problem. I don't know if they should be considered disabled, but they should get medical help, something which taxes can help pay for.

Catbaaneds avatar Catbaaned Yeah You Are +10Reply
@MusicIsAGift People with drug and alcohol addictions have a health problem. I don't know if they should be considered disabled...

A health problem, true. However, I think it is a different class of health problem. It's a self-inflicted illness, and I don't think they should receive the same treatment as other people with health problems.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Mike_Hawk A health problem, true. However, I think it is a different class of health problem. It's a self-inflicted illness...

But people with substance problems do have a disability. We take our addictions or lack thereof for granted because we don't get addicted to anything.
Instead we need to focus on helping them because their addictions ruined their lives, unlike something like an addiction to WOW or amirite or chocolate or something.
Their baby is now dependant on a substance which disables them.

@Naggs But people with substance problems do have a disability. We take our addictions or lack thereof for granted because...

They still inflicted upon themselves. I come from a large family of alcoholics, heroin-addicts, potheads, and smokers. If anyone is liable to be an addict, it's me. It's not like the genes that dictate addiction potential skipped me, either. I just have will-power and choose not to drink or smoke. I manage to ingest cannabis in moderation, and can abstain when needed. I take responsibility for my actions and value my health and integrity over indulging in the impulses left in me from my family history. It's not a matter of keeping from getting addicted, I also know I'd be able to break an addiction should one ever form.

I really dislike the way society likes to tell people that things aren't their fault. Becoming addicted to a drug is one's own fault. All it takes is will-power and responsibility to avoid it.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Mike_Hawk They still inflicted upon themselves. I come from a large family of alcoholics, heroin-addicts, potheads, and...

But not everyone necessarily has will-power. I personally abstain from all forms of substances but I don't think it's right to say "you fucked up too bad for you"
Why don't we say that to obese people or woman who get pregnant or peope that get STD's (they have both made a decision that needs support from the government)
IMO I can't judge someone because their circumstance puts them in an unfortunate situation

@Naggs But not everyone necessarily has will-power. I personally abstain from all forms of substances but I don't think...

People won't have will-power if we tell them that they can't have will-power and that it's not their fault. If they don't think it's their fault, they won't do anything to change. I'm obese, I know it's my fault. I would say exactly that to women who get unexpectedly pregnant or people who get STDs. Can't say the same for society, though. Everyone tries to be politically correct and make sure nobody is offended and that nobody's feelings are hurt.

Personally, I think society needs to man the fuck up, grow some thicker skin, and start taking responsibility for themselves.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Mike_Hawk People won't have will-power if we tell them that they can't have will-power and that it's not their fault. If...

I see your point which is shaped by the circumstances in your life however I respectfully disagree and let's leave it at that!

@1850125

Sorry can you clarify what you're trying to say, I'm a bit confused about your point

@1850230

Yeah, I agree with you. However, I feel that we still need to help them because their body has accepted this substance and now depends on it, which is a disability.
Also, we as a society need to help those that are weaker or are in worst condition because its for the good of society; it strengthens it as a whole.
They need help and turning our nose down upon isn't going to do anything.
This is my personal opinion though

If those people are dumb enough to get themselves involved with and addicted to drugs and alcohol, I shouldn't be forced to support them! Who knows what they are using my hard earned for! Probably to buy more drugs.

@teodora16 If those people are dumb enough to get themselves involved with and addicted to drugs and alcohol, I shouldn't be...

Money that goes toward health insurance does not go to the individual, how exactly would they buy more drugs?

Should they be put on disability and given foodstamps? No.
Should they receive some kind of aid? Yes.

Giving them money only enables them. What we, as a society, need to do is work on funding for rehabilitation facilities, half-way houses, employment training, AA meeting carpools, and stuff like that. Addicts won't get better until they want to get better, but giving them a little push in the right direction never hurts.

This reminds me of a King of the Hill episode where Hank couldn't fire a druggie because he was in rehab and the druggie was taking advantage of Strictland Propane.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +6Reply

Some people are born addicted to certain drugs so they should receive help, but not those who choose to do the drugs which get them addicted

@Some people are born addicted to certain drugs so they should receive help, but not those who choose to do the...

Yes, and also people who get into accidents and get put on pain killers in hospitals and get addicted to them without any choice in the matter. But other than that there are very few excuses

Catbaaneds avatar Catbaaned Yeah You Are 0Reply