+135

There needs to be more awareness for mental illnesses, amirite?

turnips avatar People & Celebrities
1 12
The voters have decided that turnip is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

And less stigmatization. Please.

Cocaia12912s avatar Cocaia12912 Yeah You Are +11Reply

I feel like it would lead to a bunch more people going "OmGEEE! I totes have BPD!"

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Lkun I feel like it would lead to a bunch more people going "OmGEEE! I totes have BPD!"

Good point(: But I guess getting awareness for it might make people take it more seriously and less likely to self diagnose.

I guess it would just be nice if mental illness was taken really seriously like cancer and other diseases. If someone says they have cancer, everyone's so sympathetic and supportive and lovely. If someone says they have a mental illness or self-harm, they're attention seeking.

turnips avatar turnip Yeah You Are +8Reply
@mash That reminds me a bit of this image: http://ctrlv.in/126644

It's not just other people though. I am pretty sure that I am depressed but I still haven't gotten any help and do think that I subconsciously want attention...

@turnip Good point(: But I guess getting awareness for it might make people take it more seriously and less likely to self...

Well the difference is that cancer is actually life threatening. But I still agree with your overall point.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Emperorerror Well the difference is that cancer is actually life threatening. But I still agree with your overall point.

Mental illnesses are highly life threatening too and not just to the person with the illness. Certain mental illnesses can drive people to do some really crazy things like murder. I'd say that's kind of life threatening.

meismandis avatar meismandi Yeah You Are +4Reply

So is anorexia, and when I was younger, when my anxiety was worse, it scared me so much I couldn't eat and I almost starved. But I agree cancer is more deadly.

I think enough people know about it already. Awareness can only go so far, and I think it has gone as far as it can for this. What we need is for out of those who know about it (everybody) more do something about it.

People are already enough aware of mental illnesses as is. What needs to be done is some policy changes to help those with mental disorders and the families affected by them.

I disagree not because I think less of those with mental illness (I have several family members who suffer from it), but because everybody's wants others to be more aware towards something. Our attention spans simply don't have enough room to focus on all of these things.

Depends on the mental illness. schizophrenia and sociopathy? Definitely. Those can be societally and individually harming. Depression or anxiety disorder? Not the same degree of problem or situation.