+101

It's stupid people think that birth control shouldn't be provided by health insurance because they think it's wrong. I don't believe in the war, I still have to pay taxes that support the war. I think organ transplants are morally wrong, so either health insurance shouldn't cover organ transplants for anyone or people can just pick and chose what taxes they pay. No. Moral opinions don't get to make the law. You pay what the government tells you to pay and if you hate it that much, leave, amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar
5 22
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Was the organ transplant part just an example, or do you have that opinion? If you do, could you explain why? I've never heard of someone being against it, and im curious as to why.

@Demonturky Was the organ transplant part just an example, or do you have that opinion? If you do, could you explain why? I've...

I suppose some people think its playing God. Like helping someone cheat death or something. By the same token, isn't causing death through Inaction almost as bad as killing?

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +3Reply

I'm not exactly pro-organ transplants myself. It really comes down to the fact that I don't know who's receiving the organs, and I don't want to be responsible for prolonging the life of someone who might go on to do terrible things.
Live organ transplants between people who know each other, however, are fine by me.

@1854786

As this post isn't about freedom of speech, I don't see why you've mentioned it twice. If you're just going to use ad hominem and bring up unrelated laws like freedom of speech, refrain from commenting at all.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1857678

If someone needs birth control, it should be provided because it is related to their health. Yes, people over government. But this isn't government over people, the government is trying to give people birth control on their insurance because most people want birth control on their insurance. This is the people who are trying to say the government and everyone else needs to do what they say.

I'm fairly sure people are arguing about insurance on the basis of it being provided by the government.
It's like the lesser of two evils. Either pay for someone's birth control or pay for the welfare they'll need for the children they really can't afford, not to mention the strain on the economy.

@Celestialjess I'm fairly sure people are arguing about insurance on the basis of it being provided by the government. It's like...

That's exactly what I'm talking about, taxes covering birth control. Which is the government saying it should be on insurance just like all other things that are health related.

Unsettlingly dictatorial view.

@John_MacTavish Unsettlingly dictatorial view.

It's medical, why should it not be covered by medical insurance? How is it dictatorial to say if the minority disagrees, they have to do it anyway because the majority wants it?

@Frank_n_Furter That's what a democracy is.

Stupid argument, mang medical things shouldn't be covered by health insurance, especially if it's voluntary, such as a nose job, breast augmentation, or penis enlargement surgery. The government shouldn't have to pay because you want to sleep around safer. I'm not judging people who have sex, but by your logic let's make the government pay for condoms. And you don't know the minority disagrees, unless you've taken a poll of the country it could sway either way. Oh and democracy is a shit form of government anyways

@John_MacTavish Stupid argument, mang medical things shouldn't be covered by health insurance, especially if it's voluntary, such...

Birth control is about way more than having safer sex. One woman got called a slut cum dumster by a government representative because she mentioned her friend needed birth control for ovarian cycts. Maybe the government should pay for condoms, that way we'd pay less overall for STD tteatment and unplanned pregnanciesm Democracy is a shit form, it's tyrany of the majority onto the minority. It shouldn't matter if people don't believe in gay marriage or birth control or organ transplants, the government should be protecting those things anyway.

I don't know much about politics, but I always thought the idea was that the government was supposed to represent the people's will. So, by voicing our opinions, we can figure out what the majority of us want, and that should influence the laws the government makes for us. So, if the majority of us don't want to pay for birth control or organ transplants or whatever, then the government should take that into consideration when making laws about taxes. It's not about morals or your religion- it's about the citizens telling the government what laws they want and what they want to pay. If the majority of us want to pay for birth control and organ transplants,the minority can still voice their opinion AND pay the taxes for birth control. And like you said, if they really don't like the taxes and refuse to pay them, then they can leave the country and move to another place that doesn't have taxes that go toward birth control. That's how our government works: People help decide laws by voting and voicing their opinions, and you leave if you don't like it.

lolgirls avatar lolgirl Yeah You Are 0Reply

I understand that you were just giving examples, but birth control can't be compared to war and organ transplants. War is sometimes necessary and important. And so are organ transplants, it's saving a life. But birth control isn't necessary. Why should other people pay so you can have safe sex?

@kristin I understand that you were just giving examples, but birth control can't be compared to war and organ transplants...

Because that's the only reason people need birth control?

Why should other people have to provide welfare for your child? Which one do you think is cheaper? THAT'S why birth control is provided.

It's not the government giving you permission to have sex. It's saving everyone money by not spending as much to pay for children and disease treatment.

They're just voicing their opinion and they have every right to do that. You can't say something is stupid because it contradicts your beliefs. If you don't think your taxes should go to supporting the war, do something about it or else it won't change.

@They're just voicing their opinion and they have every right to do that. You can't say something is stupid because...

Yes, I can say it's stupid. It's not because it contradicts my beliefs. You can be against birth control if you want, that's not stupid. What's stupid is expecting the government to not allow other people to do things because it's against your moral code usually rooted in religion.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +20Reply
@Frank_n_Furter Yes, I can say it's stupid. It's not because it contradicts my beliefs. You can be against birth control if you...

Okay but if they believe the government should change their laws for their beliefs, that's their opinion. Who are you to call them stupid for thinking that? Laws are quite often based on moral codes. Have you ever heard of natural law? It's the belief that people are naturally good and laws should reflect their values

@Okay but if they believe the government should change their laws for their beliefs, that's their opinion. Who are...

I really hate the whole "who are you to say their opinion is stupid" thing. I'm Shurie. Why does it matter. I have just as much a right to think their opinion is stupid as they do to have their opinion. Thing about laws that reflect morals is they have to reflect the majority's morals. Like that killing is wrong. If they get what they want, it negatively effects other people. Everyone else gets what they want, it has absolutely zero effect on the person against birth control. I don't get how you're sitting her asking me who I am to say they're wrong while defending their right to believe I'm wrong. I don't care who I am, it's stupid to think the government should go with your opinion even if it's the minority, not to mention arrogant. It being their opinion doesn't make it any less stupid. I don't think people should be allowed to use allergy medication, and most the other members of my church don't believe in it too. You probably wouldn't say being against allergy medication is stupid, but that trying to get other people not to use it because I don't believe in it is.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +9Reply