+66

While the stereotype of Americans is that they expect everyone to speak English, even when they're not in English-speaking countries, Americans you know or have met in non-English-speaking countries either tried to speak the native language, or were a bit embarrassed that they didn't know any of it, amirite?

Language
1 23

I am sad that I am not bilingual, honestly. I wish America would push it more. I know English is a really common language, but learning another one couldn't hurt.

@BuddyCakes I am sad that I am not bilingual, honestly. I wish America would push it more. I know English is a really common...

My school requires that everyone take a foreign language for at least three years. Idk if it's that way everywhere but in a way it's forcing the youth to learn a news language.

EpicGymnasts avatar EpicGymnast Yeah You Are +2Reply
@EpicGymnast New*

Ours isn't required, but a lot of people take one for at least two years. Sadly they don't remember a damn thing they learn. I am in my third year of Spanish right now.

@BuddyCakes Ours isn't required, but a lot of people take one for at least two years. Sadly they don't remember a damn thing...

That's true. I never really realised why they made us take the language if we're obviously going to stop after high school/the requirement... I'm in my third year of Chinese. I really like it so I'm gonna continue, but after school I don't know if I'm going to continue learning it. I might seeing as I visit Singapore often but I know most of the basics and since I go there every year, I can use it there and won't forget it. But that's kind of a special case. Most people don't do that...

EpicGymnasts avatar EpicGymnast Yeah You Are 0Reply
@EpicGymnast That's true. I never really realised why they made us take the language if we're obviously going to stop after high...

Yeah, most people I've talked to are going to stop/have stopped after two years. None of them remember too much. I'm gonna complete my four years of Spanish, and I'll probably continue learning it after then too. I've been thinking of picking up a third language also.

I was embarrased when I went to Ireland and couldn't speak whatever the hell language they spoke.

So I mostly wrote this because I was talking to my dad and he said he doesn't think that stereotype is true, that Americans that he's met don't expect people in other countries to speak English, but are sort of confused as to why they wouldn't, because its the "universal language." Everyone at my old school in the States was always excited when anyone could speak a different language (you get a lot of "SAY SOMETHING IN YOUR LANGUAGE!" lol) and if they themselves couldn't speak a different language, they talked about how they wished they could. Anyway, whatever.

Tl;dr America is totez awesum don't stereotype!!1!

Infinitys avatar Infinity Yeah You Are +1Reply

If Americans are so gung-ho about expecting everyone that comes here to speak our language, we should at least be courteous enough to learn the language of the country we're visiting.
Also, I'd be way to embarrassed to speak anything but English, but I'd try my best.
Lastly, my friend went to France and asked for directions in French, but the man answered her in english.

Chells avatar Chell Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Chell If Americans are so gung-ho about expecting everyone that comes here to speak our language, we should at least be...

A lot of people do that in prague, at least to me, probably because my Czech sucks and they realize I'd understand better if they replied in English.

I have met Many americans while travelling in Europe and the east and almost none of them could or wanted to speak the local language, they simply YELLED at the locals in american english.

So basically, what you're saying is that Americans in other countries either speak the native language, or they don't? Top-class amirite we've got here!

@dzmax So basically, what you're saying is that Americans in other countries either speak the native language, or they...

Yes. That's exactly what they said. When you ignore the details and substance that make the point of the post, then yes, I suppose you could conclude that if an American is in another country they speak the language or they don't. You're literally a genius for this thought because it's not like those are the only two options there are, much smarter than the top class amiriter who wrote this post.

@Frank_n_Furter Yes. That's exactly what they said. When you ignore the details and substance that make the point of the post, then...

They aren't really opinions; they are outcomes that OP has stated - the only two possible outcomes for that situation.

Anonymous