+323

It's frightening to consider the actuality that our history is false. As displayed in the novel 1984, our history textbooks and teachers could all have been duped into believing the wrong facts. The past is too fragile, and it contains so many variations of beliefs and stories that we, as humans, should just accept that there is not one answer for everything, amirite?

eastcoasts avatar People & Celebrities
31 37
The voters have decided that eastcoast is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My world history teacher was visiting some place in Asia and wanted to go to the museum nearby, but it was closed. When she asked why, the lady said that they just had a civil war, and the government executed thousands of its own citizens. Now their leaders are trying to write their history so it doesn't portray them badly. After all, history is written by the victors.

I live in America, and about a month ago a British guy moved here and goes to my school.
My friend has history with him, and she says she's often amused by arguments he has with the teacher.
Appearently when they were going over the American revolution they had a discussion that involved him saying "Well they were colonies! They were supposed to listen to us!"

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me speaking, but I think that has already happened. I know that this isn't the right way of thinking, but I honestly can't trust anything the government puts out.
It's no different with history books. If they pass it, I'm sure something is missing or incorrect.

1984 was probably one of the best books I have ever read.

This is a really interesting theory. Probably wrong, but interesting to think about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph...ime_hypothesis

@Harper I don't really understand. What does this mean?

Well the theory is that the years 614AD-911AD didn't actually exist, meaning that it is actually the year 1715 today.

Well there is one answer, whether anybody knows it or not

qwerty123s avatar qwerty123 Yeah You Are +4Reply

If you're interested, China already doctors its textbooks and reference books 1984-style. For example, no one here has ever heard of tank man from tiananmen, and few know that the soldiers fired first. Also, they don't know that Mao Zedong told the Japanese prime minister that there was no need to apologize to China for the war since it was largely thanks to the japanese distracting the nationalists that the communists managed to get into power anyway

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +2Reply

This is why I can never really get into history and I tend to question everything my World History teacher says. :/

mirandaamirites avatar mirandaamirite Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1857084

Neither have I. What is it?

@WideAwake Neither have I. What is it?

Well you could wait several hours/days/weeks for a reply or there's this thing called Google that will tell you right now in under 30 seconds....

Wow and just when I decided I was pretty much done with this site

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are -1Reply
@eastcoast Wow and just when I decided I was pretty much done with this site

Just for the record though, this is probably the best birthday present ever l smilie

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +12Reply
@eastcoast Just for the record though, this is probably the best birthday present ever

I knew something was fishy about that "Bye" in your profile. d smilie

You're ours now and forever more.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +13Reply
@1856832

Thank you! :)

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are 0Reply

"In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem...." (Genesis 1, LOLcat Bible)
I see no room for doubt here wary smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are -1Reply

Well, we know Columbus didn't discover America. Also, my history teacher from my junior year in high school tried to convince us that the Gulf of Tonkin incident actually happened when evidence points to the contrary.

MusicIsAGifts avatar MusicIsAGift Yeah You Are -3Reply
@1856796

...what is wrong with you

@1856800

hehe smilie oh anon, you know me so well