+72

When you're writing fiction, sometimes you have no control over the characters. "Why did Harvey buy a zeppelin?" "I don't know, you'll have to ask him that." amirite?

Bonkavas avatar Entertainment & Hobbies
8 4
The voters have decided that Bonkava is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Finally, someone understands.

"You just made your character drop the F bomb like six times."

"I can't MAKE him do anything."

BagelFinagles avatar BagelFinagle Yeah You Are +6Reply

I've been trying to control my character's too much lately. Maybe that's why my writing hasn't been as satisfying. It's much more authentic when they take on a life of their own, even if you don't particularly like the life they've chosen.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +1Reply

Yeah, my character named himself Agnes. AGNES. Not typically a guy's name.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are 0Reply

Thank you so much for this.
People who don't write rarely understand this. A good character takes a life of its own, and once it's done that, I can't make him/her do anything. People will be like, "You're the writer; just make her do it!" All the while I'm wondering what to do because my character somehow ended up in Mexico when a novel is supposed to be set in California or something weird like that.

Inamoratas avatar Inamorata Yeah You Are -1Reply