+127

Nature versus Nurture: It's usually a mixture of both, amirite?

fuzalas avatar Animals & Nature
0 54
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

*always

chchs avatar chch No Way +3Reply
@chch *always

always is too absolute
there might be something out there that isn't a mixture

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuzala always is too absolute there might be something out there that isn't a mixture

Are you referring to the most common usage of this phrase, used most in psychology? If so, then yes, it is ALWAYS a mixture of both nature and nurture. If you're not referring to psychology, please enlighten me on what you are referring to.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Are you referring to the most common usage of this phrase, used most in psychology? If so, then yes, it is ALWAYS a...

I'm saying there might be a possibility because we don't know everything there is to know

there may be an aspect out there that we don't know or don't know about yet that includes a mixture

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala I'm saying there might be a possibility because we don't know everything there is to know there may be an aspect...

Again, if you are talking about psychology, then there's no "may be". It's simple: human thoughts, behaviors, and everything that may be affected by nature or nurture is affected by both. It's about a 50/50 combination. Studies have been done, and they're quite accurate.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Again, if you are talking about psychology, then there's no "may be". It's simple: human thoughts, behaviors, and...

You apparently haven't been in a very good psychology class. That just isn't true, no one knows if it's 50/50 or how much of each it is, it would be impossible to actually do a study on how much nature and how much nurture makes someone do something, and it's really pathetic you lied about it just to make yourself seem right. There are certain things that are brought on only because of how you were raised or only because of your genetic predisposition, ex: schitophrenia is gentic.

@Frank_n_Furter You apparently haven't been in a very good psychology class. That just isn't true, no one knows if it's 50/50 or...

Actually, I was in a really good psychology class. And please stop insulting me. People have done studies. Are you forgetting Harry Harlow's experiment? Not ethical, but proves my point.

And I'm not talking about certain things. If you'll see above, I was talking about "human thoughts, behaviors, and everything that may be affected by nature or nurture ". I didn't want to say just behaviors because that's not what I meant...I'm talking about behaviors, thoughts, actions, personality, etc. You as a whole are a combination of nature and nurture; so is everyone.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Actually, I was in a really good psychology class. And please stop insulting me. People have done studies. Are...

Yeah, a monkey chose the cloth mom over the food mom, what about it? That doesn't prove anything about how much is nature and how much is nurture. You said there has been studies that prove it is 50/50, that is a lie. It's impossible to prove that. Being honest isn't insulting you. The post isn't talking about everything that makes a person, otherwise it wouldn't say "usually". It wouldn't make sense "every thing a person is about, their entire personality, behaviors, all that, can be fully nature or fully nurture but it's usually both" so you can infer it is talking about certain things.

@Frank_n_Furter Yeah, a monkey chose the cloth mom over the food mom, what about it? That doesn't prove anything about how much is...

You called me pathetic. I'd say that's pretty insulting.

It proves that monkeys can't thrive without nurture; therefore, we need both nature and nurture. I think this can be extended to humans: orphans in a Siberian orphanage, once adopted, grew about 6 inches per year (compared to the average of 2, I think it was), while they had grown way less than the average before they were adopted. Why? Nurture.

I'm really confused about how you can argue that things aren't nature and nurture. It's pretty simple. You must not have been in a very good psych class, or else your teacher would have taught you all this.

Other studies: twin studies(there are lots), adoption studies (again, lots), and of course Harlow's experiment. So, no, it's not actually "impossible" to do a study on nature vs. nurture.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch You called me pathetic. I'd say that's pretty insulting. It proves that monkeys can't thrive without nurture;...

Needing nurture isn't what the nature vs. nurture argument is about ono smilie It's not impossible to do a study on nature vs. nurture and I didn't say it was, I said it's impossible to say how much of something is caused by each. Nature vs. Nurture is about why people are they way they are, not about being nurtured or nurture being good for you. It's about "are you smart because your parents are, or is it because you all went to good schools?" that kind of thing. You don't seem to know what you're talking about, so this conversation is over.

@Frank_n_Furter Needing nurture isn't what the nature vs. nurture argument is about It's not impossible to do a study on...

Sure, you can't measure how much nature and how much nurture makes someone do something, but that wasn't what this post was about or what I was talking about.

Nature vs nurture usually refers to human behaviors/thoughts/personality, and in that case, it is a mixture of nature and nurture, and it is impossible to argue otherwise.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Sure, you can't measure how much nature and how much nurture makes someone do something, but that wasn't what this...

". It's simple: human thoughts, behaviors, and everything that may be affected by nature or nurture is affected by both. It's about a 50/50 combination. Studies have been done, and they're quite accurate."

And use the context of the post to infer what it's talking about. In psychology in general, you'd be absolutely right but I think the post is talking about specific things. I might be wrong though, that's just what I inferred. OP may have implied something totally different.

Sorry for rudeness, I just got home from school and sometimes I don't realize how I'm talking when I'm tired.

@Frank_n_Furter ". It's simple: human thoughts, behaviors, and everything that may be affected by nature or nurture is affected by...

Colebowl: my point exactly. It's really hard to argue about this without knowing what the OP was referring to; I assumed it was about psychology because that's the context I'm most familiar with. However, it's fair to say she could have written this about something else. I asked her but I never got a response.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Colebowl: my point exactly. It's really hard to argue about this without knowing what the OP was referring to; I...

Your point exactly? You didn't say anything about it to them.

"I'm saying there might be a possibility because we don't know everything there is to know

there may be an aspect out there that we don't know or don't know about yet that includes a mixture"

@Your point exactly? You didn't say anything about it to them. "I'm saying there might be a possibility because we...

I asked Fuzala in the beginning what it is she's referencing. I then assumed it was about psychology. I mentioned it a while ago.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply

Studies by whom? When? How?
Do you have any kind of source for your statement? It's just, you obviously made that up, I failed psychology and even I know that that statistic does not exist and no one has or even could do an experiment to validate it.

@Truuninja Studies by whom? When? How? Do you have any kind of source for your statement? It's just, you obviously made that...

I just told you about the studies. Harry Harlow. Countless twin and adoption studies. http://lornareiko.wordpress.com...are-they-like/

If you care enough, go validate the facts yourself. Otherwise, take my testimony.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch I just told you about the studies. Harry Harlow. Countless twin and adoption studies...

That is a study in favour of nature, not even remotely 50/50, nor does it even imply a 50/50 correlation.

I have noting to validate, you are the one who is claiming to have all the facts, I was merely pointing out that you completely made them up.

@Truuninja That is a study in favour of nature, not even remotely 50/50, nor does it even imply a 50/50 correlation. I have...

I didn't make them up. I learned them. At this point in time, I don't want to research them for you. However, feel free to research it yourself or retake psychology. Otherwise, you don't know that I made them up and it's unfair of you to say that without validating my facts.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch I didn't make them up. I learned them. At this point in time, I don't want to research them for you. However...

@chch Yes, but specific to what? Psychology?

this goes for pretty much any topic

the studies and research found are not 100%
science and other subjects are still developing and are subject to potential change

@fuzala this goes for pretty much any topic the studies and research found are not 100% science and other subjects are...

Any...topic? I'm confused. Please be more specific as to what you are talking about.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Any...topic? I'm confused. Please be more specific as to what you are talking about.

that's exactly it
my post was made to look at generally
not specifically

@fuzala that's exactly it my post was made to look at generally not specifically

I am just soooo confused. I don't understand how this point references anything other than human behavior/actions/thoughts/personality

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch I am just soooo confused. I don't understand how this point references anything other than human...

I'm saying that even with psychology, nature vs. nurture
there is a possibility of finding an aspect where there isn't a mixture of both
we may not know of an aspect now
but we may very well find this aspect one day

just because we don't know it now, doesn't mean it doesn't exist

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fuzala I'm saying that even with psychology, nature vs. nurture there is a possibility of finding an aspect where there...

Okay, so it isn't USUALLY a mixture. It's ALWAYS. True, someday, we might find something that isn't a mixture. For now, though, it's always.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Okay, so it isn't USUALLY a mixture. It's ALWAYS. True, someday, we might find something that isn't a mixture...

Oh, and i don't want this to sound like I'm yelling--I don't know how to do italics (even though I've been here 2 years..)

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@fuzala I try not to use absolutes to take into account a range of possibilities

Wellll all the evidence points to a mixture, as of now

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@Schizophrenia, down syndrome, etc is genetic, so false.

there is a possibility of environmental factors that can trigger these

@fuzala there is a possibility of environmental factors that can trigger these

With schizophrenia, yes. But when it is genetic, it is just genetic, not both. Down syndrome can happen from an environmental factor in the womb, which alters their genetic code, it's purely genetic. You don't get down syndrome from being in a shitty enviorment.

@With schizophrenia, yes. But when it is genetic, it is just genetic, not both. Down syndrome can happen from an...

I honestly don't have enough knowledge to give a good response on what you said

I wasn't talking about any diseases. If you'll look above, you'll see I was talking about human behaviors/thoughts/personalities in general.

chchs avatar chch No Way -1Reply
@chch I wasn't talking about any diseases. If you'll look above, you'll see I was talking about human...

nature vs. nurture in psychology includes developmental aspects such as down syndrome as well

@fuzala nature vs. nurture in psychology includes developmental aspects such as down syndrome as well

Sure. But that wasn't what I was talking about specifically. It's only a small part of the big picture.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@fuzala thus, always is not the term for this post

Well, yes, if you're referring specifically to mental disorders. Are you?

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@fuzala I'm referring to nature and nurture in general

Okay. I assumed you were referring to personality, not mental disorders. My bad.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch Okay. I assumed you were referring to personality, not mental disorders. My bad.

That's why I usually stay away from absolutes

notice I said I don't always stay away from them

Those aren't diseases, they are thoughts, personalities, and behaviors. You didn't take a psychology class.

@Those aren't diseases, they are thoughts, personalities, and behaviors. You didn't take a psychology class.

Yes, I did (AP, actually). Schizophrenia is a mental disorder. It doesn't define a person's personality. Disease wasn't the right word, I meant disorder. Sorry.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@No, you didn't. Stop lying.

I'm not lying...I did really well, too, with a B and an A in each semester and an 5 on the AP exam.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch I'm not lying...I did really well, too, with a B and an A in each semester and an 5 on the AP exam.

Right. You're just like everyone else on the internet: got really good grades in whatever topic is relevant to the conversation, but some how everything you say is wrong.

@Right. You're just like everyone else on the internet: got really good grades in whatever topic is relevant to the...

I'm not lying!! I actually would send you my AP scores if there were a way to do that without you seeing my identity. I think the fact that I'm educated on the studies shows I know more than most people. Also, I'm not wrong.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply
@chch I'm not lying!! I actually would send you my AP scores if there were a way to do that without you seeing my...

Provide me with a scholarly article that proves nature and nurture are 50% responsible for a person. All you did was provide an article that supports nurture effects people. You're NOT educated on the subject and you haven't shown you know more than most people. I go to college for this shit, you are wrong. Anyone in AP psych will know you can't put percentage on how much of nature and how much of nurture is responsible for how a person is. Oh look http://www.dnate.com/nature_vs_nurture/ There is a DEBATE on nature vs. nurture specifically because no one can prove the claims you're trying to make or any similar claims. Btw: your articles of twins and adopted kids more prove that it is more due to nature, not nurture of 50% of each, you invalidated yourself.

@Frank_n_Furter Provide me with a scholarly article that proves nature and nurture are 50% responsible for a person. All you did...

I said my psych teacher said it was ABOUT 50/50. Either way, it's a combination of both. And as I told truuninja, I really don't want to. If you're that invested, find it yourself.

chchs avatar chch No Way 0Reply

Truuninja: are you serious? How can you be sure I didn't make them up when you refuse to research the subject? Also, you can't tell me what I learned and didn't. My psych teacher literally told me that it's about a 50/50 combination of each. I know that he had an article or something at the time; I can't be bothered to find it right now, but feel free to try and find it yourself.

chchs avatar chch No Way -1Reply