+351

You have at one point wondered if every other human in the world wasn't alive, and that they were activated by your presence somehow; that you were the only person truly experiencing consciousness, Amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar
32 33
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sometimes I'd think of that possibility when I was a child; it freaked the fuck out of me.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +24Reply

It's crazy how the most ridiculous thoughts have been thought of by many people. I've thought the same thing.

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Yeah You Are +20Reply

I can honestly say I've never thought about that. I feel stupid because so many people have...

kristins avatar kristin No Way +14Reply

Soliloquy of the Solipsist
by Sylvia Plath

I?
I walk alone;
The midnight street
Spins itself from under my feet;
When my eyes shut
These dreaming houses all snuff out;
Through a whim of mine
Over gables the moon's celestial onion
Hangs high.

I
Make houses shrink
And trees diminish
By going far; my look's leash
Dangles the puppet-people
Who, unaware how they dwindle,
Laugh, kiss, get drunk,
Nor guess that if I choose to blink
They die.

I
When in good humor,
Give grass its green
Blazon sky blue, and endow the sun
With gold;
Yet, in my wintriest moods, I hold
Absolute power
To boycott any color and forbid any flower
To be.

I
Know you appear
Vivid at my side,
Denying you sprang out of my head,
Claiming you feel
Love fiery enough to prove flesh real,
Though it's quite clear
All you beauty, all your wit, is a gift, my dear,
From me.

For all I know, the universe isn't 14 billion year sold, or 10 thousand, but I only know or sure it's 13 years old (I'm 16, but my long term memory didn't kick in for 3 years)

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +5Reply

I read a story on creepy pasta about a man who died and was about to be reincarnated. He was told he could be reincarnated as any person in any time period, since time doesn't exist outside the human world. Eventually he learned that he was actually every person in the history of the world. He was Hitler and every person killed by Hitler. He was Jesus and all His followers. It was pretty interesting and creepy to think about.

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are +5Reply

It's called "solipsism."

@eldorito It's called "solipsism."

wow, I never knew there was a word for it

I'm coming back to comment again because I had originally come to amirite.net to post, and after reading your post I completely forgot my ingenious idea.

I remember when I first thought this. It scared the shit out of me, because there's not many ways to "disprove" that.

Zippys avatar Zippy Yeah You Are +4Reply
@caylarose I can't imagine any way to disprove it..

There's a very obvious way to disprove it, at least to your own satisfaction. It would mean that every piece of music that has ever inspired me, every film that has ever awed me, every book that I've ever found creative and profound and to have impressive prose, every scientific,philosophical and political school of thought I'm aware of etc is all my own doing. And not only have I come up with it all myself, but I've come up with it in realtime in a lot of cases. It took Joseph Heller 7 years to write Catch-22 but all the words have immediately appeared on the pages as quickly as I've managed to turn them? And with the convoluted narrative that jumps back and forth, I've somehow managed to factor the whole plot in perfectly as my mind is coming up with the words for each pair of pages in realtime? What an insult to Heller to think I'm capable of such a thing and how much of a god complex would I need to have to think I could have come up with any and all of the things that I've mentioned? Solipsism is actually an incredibly arrogant position to hold, albeit unintentionally.

@RobertSine There's a very obvious way to disprove it, at least to your own satisfaction. It would mean that every piece of...

That's not really proof, and arrogance means excessive pride, not a belief that you are more powerful than all else.

@Watchful_questioneer That's not really proof, and arrogance means excessive pride, not a belief that you are more powerful than all else.

Sure. Hence the 'at least to your own satisfaction' part. Maybe I should have said 'there's no obvious way to disprove it but it's very easy to convince yourself it's not true'.

Merriam Webster defines arrogance as 'an attitude of superiority manifested in an manner or in claims or assumptions'. Solipsism falls under the assumption part even though it is an unintentional assumption as I said.

@Watchful_questioneer Oh, the definition I looked up used the word "pride". Yeah, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, definitions can vary quite a lot from dictionary to dictionary. I hate that because it can be hard to decide which one to go by. But we understand each other now anyway so it's all good.

In the "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut, a lonely author named Kilgore Trout wrote a short story in the form of a letter from the creator of the universe. The title was "Now It Can Be Told". After reading it, Dwayne Hoover became a homicidal maniac..

Dear Sir, poor sir, brave sir:’ he read, ‘You are an experiment by the Creator of the Universe. You are the only creature in the entire Universe who has free will. You are the only one who has to figure out what to do next – and why. Everybody else is a robot, a machine.

‘Some persons seem to like you, and others seem to hate you, and you must wonder why. They are simply liking machines and hating machines.

‘You are pooped and demoralized,’ read Dwayne. ‘Why wouldn’t you be? Of course it is exhausting, having to reason all the time in a universe which wasn’t meant to be reasonable.’

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are +1Reply

Silly me here thinking I was the only one who's been in that mindset before, when there's an actual word for it. I'm sure there are fiction novels on it as well, anyone know of one?

I don't really get this whole post. Can someone explain it to me?? What do they mean

@I don't really get this whole post. Can someone explain it to me?? What do they mean

Only deep intellectual hipsters are allowed in this post. Sorry, but you have to leave.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +11Reply

Have you ever wondered that the only things that exist are what you see? What if everything and everyone disappears when you're not around, and are only there when you can see it?

The truman show is basically this whole post in a movie.

No, but I have thought some very similar ideas, so I won't vote no.

I thought I was the only one who thought about this. Every time I try to explain it to anybody they don't understand what I mean. Thank you.

@Rebeccalovestoast I thought I was the only one who thought about this. Every time I try to explain it to anybody they don't...

You're welcome. I felt the same at one point (except I never really shared that thought with anyone before).

Sometimes I think I'm in the Truman Show and everyone is purposefully trying to screw me over.

666 -1Reply

This is one of the scariest things I think about.

caylaroses avatar caylarose Yeah You Are -1Reply
@caylarose This is one of the scariest things I think about.

How is it scary? If it's true, it's not like you can do anything about it, so why worry.

@Ueki How is it scary? If it's true, it's not like you can do anything about it, so why worry.

I wouldn't say I'm quite WORRIED about it, but.. I can't really explain why it freaks me out.. It just does..

you're welcome for that extremely intellectual reply

caylaroses avatar caylarose Yeah You Are -3Reply

WTF, no.That's some semi-deep thought you've got there.