+145

Someone can memorize the sentence "the ball is blue," but if they don't understand what it means, he or she is unable to answer the question "what color is the ball?," amirite?

fuzalas avatar Language
9 28
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The colour is round.

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +13Reply
@Myrania The colour is round.

I thought the color was ball :(

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply

Could someone please explain this concept to my physics teacher?

sprite590s avatar sprite590 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1874027

yes!
that's exactly it
I was trying to remember where I read it but couldn't remember
the line in there was something like the sky is blue

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1874058

oh wow
my memory of what I read twisted things around
at least I still remembered the basic concept though

Explanation?

@Rashed Explanation?

The American education system.

LinksLegionaires avatar LinksLegionaire Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Rashed Explanation?

could you elaborate?

@fuzala could you elaborate?

We're just not sure what larger point youre getting at here

colettes avatar colette Yeah You Are 0Reply
@colette We're just not sure what larger point youre getting at here

*I'm It's simple. You can learn to say something without knowing the meaning of the words.

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are +1Reply

oh okay
I replied to WinniethePooh and I'll just copy and paste that

"the ball is blue is just an example
but with a more complicated idea, someone can memorize the idea but not be able to explain it or answer questions about it because he/she just memorized it without understanding it

also, a person who does not speak English may memorize the ball is blue for a test without knowing what it means and then if a question asked "what color is the ball?" this person may not be able to answer because they don't know what's being asked

there's a better explanation for this but it's not coming to me"

True. I memorised a page for my biology test but was rubbish at the test because of this idea. ;-;

Georgies avatar Georgie Yeah You Are 0Reply

Correction: Someone can memorize the sentence "the ball is blue," but if this person don't understand what it means, he or she is unable to answer the question "what color is the ball?," amirite?

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Watchful_questioneer actually, i think the one up there is absolutely fine as it is

I thought so too at first, but I looked at it again and saw that someone is singular and they is plural

@fuzala I thought so too at first, but I looked at it again and saw that someone is singular and they is plural

oh, but "they" is often used to substite he/she when the gender is undetermined. i don't know if it's considered gramatically correct, but i do know it is generally accepted to do so

@Watchful_questioneer oh, but "they" is often used to substite he/she when the gender is undetermined. i don't know if it's considered...

back when I was in high school, one of my teachers really disliked when people used their instead of his/her for singular
so that's drilled into my head
or else, I probably would't have even noticed

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fuzala Correction: Someone can memorize the sentence "the ball is blue," but if this person don't understand what it...

Before you correct grammar mistakes, you should make sure your own post is correct... "if this person don't understand"

@wizard_of_koz Before you correct grammar mistakes, you should make sure your own post is correct... "if this person don't understand"

I didn't even catch that
and I did try to make sure the comment was at least correct
but there's still the possibility of making mistakes
"to err is human"

Correction: Someone can memorize the sentence "the ball is blue," but if this person doesn't understand what it means, he or she is unable to answer the question "what color is the ball?," amirite?

Wow. That is so insightful. The ball is blue...

@WinniethePooh Wow. That is so insightful. The ball is blue...

the ball is blue is just an example

there's a better explanation for this but it's not coming to me