+28

You believe there is such a thing as "the one", amirite?

Myranias avatar Relationships
0 9
The voters have decided that Myrania is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I've been with my wife for 11 years now (married for 5, dating for 6), we're very compatible and still in love. If something were to happen to her, I'd like to think I'd be able to fall in love with somebody else afterwards (and likewise I'd want her to find love if something happened to me).

With over seven billion people in the world, I wouldn't want to think that there's the one person who is right for somebody and if it should end for whatever reason then that's your only chance to be with "the one" gone up in smoke.

Kiras avatar Kira No Way +2Reply
@Kira I've been with my wife for 11 years now (married for 5, dating for 6), we're very compatible and still in love. If...

Do you think you'll ever be able to love someone else just as much as you love your wife? Don't you think you've spent so much of your life together that no one will ever replace her? That could be considered 'the one'.

@Emaphina Do you think you'll ever be able to love someone else just as much as you love your wife? Don't you think you've...

Yes, I do think it's possible that I could love somebody as much as my wife. It's not a case of looking for a replacement as it is loving somebody else for the great person they are rather than how similar or not they are to my wife.

Eleven years is a long time but it's also long enough to have plenty of bad times as well as good. I don't view my wife as perfection personified - after so long I love her warts and all. Equally I believe there's somebody else out there who I could love just as much as I currently love my wife. And who knows? Maybe they'll have fewer warts. ;)

Kiras avatar Kira No Way -1Reply

If you mean Neo, yes.
If you mean a "soulmate" no.

Lens avatar Len No Way +2Reply
@Len If you mean Neo, yes. If you mean a "soulmate" no.

I meant it in the sense of love, but I love your interpretation of it ;)

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are -1Reply

Unless you believe in destiny, the whole "one" idea doesn't make sense. There are way too many people on this planet for there to be just one person that you are compatible with. I personally believe that there are many people out there that you are compatible with; it's up to you to decide who you'll meet and whether or not you'll pursue a relationship with them.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like to think that there is someone out there for everyone (that person could be anyone), and when we find that person boom they're "the one" and it's magical yada yada. On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about fate and I think it sounds more romantic when two people aren't meant to be together, because nobody is, and they just make it into something wonderful with their common interests and such. Once you think about how many people there are in the world and how just one changed decision could make a million things in your life happen differently, anybody could end up being "the one." So...I dunno, that's how my mind works.

Witty_sobs avatar Witty_sob Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Witty_sob I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like to think that there is someone out there for everyone (that...

I think it's very interesting. I like how you find it more romantic if people make something out of it anyway, even if they're not meant to be. That makes sense to me. I somehow believe that there is no such thing as free will, making everything either predetermined or controlled by someone/something, as if we're a character in The Sims.

Myranias avatar Myrania Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Myrania I think it's very interesting. I like how you find it more romantic if people make something out of it anyway, even...

I do sometimes think what it would be like if we were like Sims. There's no way to say for sure, I suppose. These are the thoughts that keep me up at night though, haha.

Witty_sobs avatar Witty_sob Yeah You Are +2Reply
Anonymous