+81

An advantage shouldn't be taken away from someone just because it cannot be given to everyone. It may be unfair for people to have more advantages in life than others, but it is unjust to take them away just to make everybody even, Amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar Life
2 15
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I suppose inheritance doesn't quite fit this, but this post actually reminded me of the short story "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut, which is about genetic advantages.

Cocaia12912s avatar Cocaia12912 Yeah You Are +7Reply

Could you be more specific on what you mean? Like what kind of advantages did you have in mind?

@Watchful_questioneer what's that?

It's basically where we let minorities into colleges they don't deserve to be in and give them jobs they aren't qualified for because our ancestors from 200 years ago were mean to their ancestors from 200 years ago. Oh, and in the college area of affirmative action, it shouldn't come as a major shock that many of the students admitted under affirmative action get horrible grades and often flunk out.

... But it's all for equality, right? Because that's what equality is, isn't it? Giving one group priority over another group. Affirmative action goes against the very idea that the color of your skin doesn't matter. It goes against the very fucking idea of equality.

YeahIAms avatar YeahIAm Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Watchful_questioneer what's that?

Wikipedia does a better job than me as usual so
Affirmative action is intended to promote equal opportunity. It is often instituted in government and educational settings to ensure that minority groups within a society are included in all programs. The justification for affirmative action is that it helps to compensate for past discrimination, persecution or exploitation by the ruling class of a culture, and to address existing discrimination. The implementation of affirmative action, especially in the United States, is considered by its proponents to be justified by disparate impact.

@MartellusBoss Wikipedia does a better job than me as usual so Affirmative action is intended to promote equal opportunity. It is...

It's also essentially racist against whites. I've heard stories about people being rejected from schools that have instituted affirmative action just because they weren't a minority. This is ridiculous. We, as a country don't discriminate so there's no reason to artificially create an advantage that doesn't naturally exist.

It's also dumb because these people aren't owed anything. People that are likely to be helped by affirmative action weren't slaves, or most likely ever affected by segregation so there's no reason for the country to apologize to them.

WinniethePoohs avatar WinniethePooh Yeah You Are +5Reply

I don't think that applies to the post, then. I think that is too artificial an advantage to be applied to the post