+52

Tolkien was one of the greatest fantasy minds of all time. The sheer detail of the world and history of Middle-Earth, especially the languages, is staggering and beautiful, amirite?

isaactrails avatar Books
3 3
The voters have decided that isaactrail is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Yeah! Fuck Hairy Peter!

I'm probably just declaring my ignorance here by saying this, but I hated the Hobbit. That's the truth. The detail most find staggeringly beautiful, I found pointless and tiresome. I was supposed to read it in high school, but I couldn't get through it. This one book turned me off to fiction reading for decades.

@PhilboydStudge I'm probably just declaring my ignorance here by saying this, but I hated the Hobbit. That's the truth. The...

Ignorance=/=opinion. The Hobbit is a special case; it's a children's book, designed to capture and entertain young minds rather than paint the picture that LOTR does, and that turns some mature readers off. When I read that book, I had already read LOTR, and it was neat to see how the land and the characters had started to bud in Tolkien's mind. I find The Hobbit neat, and LOTR awe-inspiring.

isaactrails avatar isaactrail Yeah You Are 0Reply