+29

True evil is when someone can do something about an injustice, but doesn't. The person who causes may likely be scarred and may have good reason to drive them to such an extreme, while the many bystanders are just afraid to speak out against it. Such cowardice can often have less justification than the crime itself, Amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar Life
2 6
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

While I get what you're saying, "evil" seems a bit far.

So if someone is witnessing a murder happen, they are automatically worse than the person taking a life because they are afraid? I understand that in some cases this definitely applies, but fear is not equivalent to true evil.

@emilysoccer2 So if someone is witnessing a murder happen, they are automatically worse than the person taking a life because...

That's not what i said. i said that someone who would stand by allowing a murder to happen will often have less justification for doing so than the murderer. A murderer would likely have been scarred by something that made them unstable, while the person who let it happen was probably just too scared to get involved. If that is the case, I believe the bystander isn't as justified, and is therefore worse

@Watchful_questioneer That's not what i said. i said that someone who would stand by allowing a murder to happen will often have less...

I see what you are saying, since most people who murder do have something wrong mentally, I just don't see how that justifies a murder more versus someone being afraid to step in to help. Maybe I'm just hopelessly lost....
But then again, we are talking about murders which are at the extreme end of situations to which this applies. I agree that this applies in less extreme situations

@emilysoccer2 I see what you are saying, since most people who murder do have something wrong mentally, I just don't see how that...

By "more justified" I don't mean more appropriate, I mean more anticipated and more reasonable from an individual moral integrity standpoint