+228

If humans had always lived underground, we would have a very different concept of time, amirite?

ThymeAgains avatar
4 20
The voters have decided that ThymeAgain is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This post would have been a lot better if you did more than state the obvious. Give it some thought.

I don't think it would be THAT different. I mean, we wouldn't go to bed at "nighttime" necessarily, but since we need about nine hours of sleep per night, we would probably have the same cycle. I think it would be less productive since people might have different sleep cycles, unless the power (assuming there's some City of Ember-like power making it light) was cut off, thus making it nighttime.

@GiggityGoo22 I don't think it would be THAT different. I mean, we wouldn't go to bed at "nighttime" necessarily, but since we...

Came here to bring up City of Ember... You beat me to it. I was just going to say that it has to be "nighttime" at some point, even if this varies for different people. Because we need sleep to function. Or it could be a collective nighttime

@eastcoast Came here to bring up City of Ember... You beat me to it. I was just going to say that it has to be "nighttime" at...

That makes sense. City of Ember has a similar concept, but the idea of night and day had already been established (humans had lived above ground at an earlier time).

ThymeAgains avatar ThymeAgain Yeah You Are +2Reply

This POTD kinda sucks, but I would recommend reading Downsiders. It's a pretty good book and it touches upon the concept of time for a society living underground.

@1888042

That would be a concept of time.

@KirstenAnn That would be a concept of time.

You can't have a non existent concept of time. How can one own that which does not exist? That would mean non existence would have to exist making it tangible which is impossible. Your both basically saying the same thing but your statement provides a strange paradox

what a post

posts avatar post Yeah You Are -3Reply

Im having an heart attack ...

posts avatar post Yeah You Are -5Reply
@post Im having an heart attack ...

You should probably be calling 911 instead of telling us.