+91

It's weird how you get to go to basic school for free (well, not FREE, it goes into the cities taxes) but if you want an even higher education and a better job, you have to pay tens of thousands of dollars, amirite?

Lazynezs avatar Education
0 20
The voters have decided that Lazynez is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

OP: I don't see how this is weird at all. So you're saying it should be the other way around? Making people pay for basic education means that some people would not be able to afford it so their children have no education at all.

@WaffledFlambe I think OP thinks all education should be free, not just basic.

Or a little bit cheaper. I mean, if you want a better job, you have to pay about 5000 dollars for a university, and about 1000 for a Community College. But, even if you did get a great job, it would still take you years to pay it off.

Lazynezs avatar Lazynez Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Lazynez Or a little bit cheaper. I mean, if you want a better job, you have to pay about 5000 dollars for a university, and...

Massive amounts of resources, knowledge of the educators and running of the academic system do not run cheap. You try making a free university.
It would take you years to pay off debts, maybe. But the benefits for the future are colossal. Even between choosing different universities. My dad got an offer from state college and a specialist business university. The specialist was like 4 or 5 times more expensive but he got advice from some older friends. They said "no matter the price, always try to get the best education you can" so he went with the higher priced place. Let's just say it worked out well for him, even though during his education there he was basically eating super noodles every day due to lack of funds.

@32488

I'm in the UK. Apparently things are done differently here lol. Sounds like they waste your money.

@32528

Over here tuition costs $5200 a year no matter what university you go to, even the top ones. This doesn't include living costs etc.

@Chromana OP: I don't see how this is weird at all. So you're saying it should be the other way around? Making people pay for...

Some children just waste the hours and harm other kids education, so if they don't want to be there, why keep them there? They just sit in their desk all day complaining, "WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS S***?"
I even asked a kid, "So, you just want to go into the world knowing nothing? And, guess what she said...

"YES! EXACTLY! YOU FINALLY GET IT!"

@Lazynez Some children just waste the hours and harm other kids education, so if they don't want to be there, why keep them...

Well then what's the point in them existing if they'll never contribute to society? Kill the bastard.

Yes, of course that was over the top and a joke.
You can't expect all kids to realise the importance of education. Of course they'd regret it later in life if they could just quit when ever they wanted. Just saying "kids should just do whatever they want if they feel like it" is retarded. The truth is that adults DO know better than kids in many, many ways and letting them quit school would ruin their lives.

Over here in the UK, we get to go to Grammar schools for free, which are... "better".
Private school is £££ but they don't really do better than anybody else. I don't think.

In-state colleges are usually cheaper though, like in the $5000-$7000 range, amirite?

@WaffledFlambe In-state colleges are usually cheaper though, like in the $5000-$7000 range, amirite?

yea, but sometimes, the better colleges are out of state. And, when you think about it, 7K is alot of money.

@Lazynez yea, but sometimes, the better colleges are out of state. And, when you think about it, 7K is alot of money.

It is a lot of money, but there's usually financial aid and scholarships and grants and such. It would be great if college could be free though, I just don't see it happening =/

@WaffledFlambe It is a lot of money, but there's usually financial aid and scholarships and grants and such. It would be great if...

Yes, but if we got all the kids who don't want to go to school, and don't do anything, thinking they will still graduate, and kick them out, we could probably save so much money in tax dollars that college (or at least Community College) could be free.

@Lazynez Yes, but if we got all the kids who don't want to go to school, and don't do anything, thinking they will still...

So we should deny kids education because they're immature? I don't see how that would help things...

OK, why the hell is everybody assuming I wanted Universities to be FREE. You guys are putting damned words in my mouth.

Free or not, it'd be nice if they at least cost less. I used to have to pay 12k a year for a school that wasn't that great, and living off campus still costs 5k, plus travel fees. If society wants more people with post secondary education, they're sure not making it easy.

grimms avatar grimm Yeah You Are 0Reply