+181

Why is it that working full time for minimum wage still puts people about $2000 under the poverty line? The purpose of minimum wage is to make sure that doesn't happen, amirite?

NDPrincesss avatar Life
4 6
The voters have decided that NDPrincess is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Wouldn't be great to just sign a law that says we won't have impoverished people

And also, that's not the point of minimum wage. If that was the point, we would just lower the poverty line to minimum wage

Here's a tip: If you can't live off of minimum wage, find a job with a higher salary. If you can't find a job with a higher salary, you're not looking hard enough. If you don't meet the qualifications for a job with a higher salary, then do something to meet them. If you tell me you can't change something about you to meet the qualifications, then change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, then get back to your minimum wage job and shut up.

Minimum wage simply supports a basic quality of life.
No extras no anything, assuming you find a cheap place and are not wasteful whatsoever that is minimum wage

@msdrisco Except poverty means you cannot support a basic quality of life.

Poverty actually means lacking in things.
I never said you'd live comfortably and I never said you'd have extra money but minimum wage is calculated by how much it takes to just get by and not a penny more.

@Naggs Poverty actually means lacking in things. I never said you'd live comfortably and I never said you'd have extra...

pov·er·ty
[pov-er-tee] Show IPA
noun
1.
the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor. Synonyms: privation, neediness, destitution, indigence, pauperism, penury. Antonyms: riches, wealth, plenty.
2.
deficiency of necessary or desirable ingredients, qualities, etc.: poverty of the soil. Synonyms: thinness, poorness, insufficiency.
3.
scantiness; insufficiency

NDPrincesss avatar NDPrincess Yeah You Are 0Reply