+36

I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List. Sounds like a good idea, amirite?

miffedmuffins avatar Politics
3 19
The voters have decided that miffedmuffin is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I remember this one time a country called the U.K. employed stricter gun laws after a school shooting and they haven't had a shooting since. History works both ways my friend, only one is a bit more recent and applicable.

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way +6Reply
@tea_ I remember this one time a country called the U.K. employed stricter gun laws after a school shooting and they...

I remember this one time when a country called the U.K. employed stricter gun laws after a school shooting and then they became one of the violent crime capitals of the world.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply

There's this other country called Switzerland, and they issue every single citizen a gun and teach them how to use it. They also have one of the lowest gun related crime rates in the world.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@TheBlindMan http://www.businessinsider.com/...erring-2012-12

Sooo we should just all stop comparing ourselves to other countries? I like it. If people will stop telling me how we should look at the UK, I'll stop talking about Switzerland, promise.

@TheBlindMan The point wasn't to not compare at all. It's to find a more fitting comparison.

Ohh so it's okay to compare the UK, because that aligns with what gun control zealots want, but it isn't okay to compare for the other side, because that's too unrealistic. Gotacha. Funny how that works out perfectly for one side.

@miffedmuffin Ohh so it's okay to compare the UK, because that aligns with what gun control zealots want, but it isn't okay to...

I actually don't have a huge knowledge on the similarities and the differences between the UK and the US so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was a good comparison or not.

@TheBlindMan I actually don't have a huge knowledge on the similarities and the differences between the UK and the US so I...

As long as liberals want to compare us to the UK, I'll be pointing out the opposite works perfectly fine for Switzerland because so far, there is no real good reason the UK is a better comparison therefore being a more valid argument for why we should make guns illegal in the US.

@miffedmuffin As long as liberals want to compare us to the UK, I'll be pointing out the opposite works perfectly fine for...

First of all, I'm not a Liberal. And the reason why I'm comparing America to the UK is because they experienced a similar gun situation like we just recently did, and to my knowledge Switzerland hasn't.

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way 0Reply
@tea_ First of all, I'm not a Liberal. And the reason why I'm comparing America to the UK is because they experienced a...

But that's just what I currently know, if you have more information please share because it is fascinating how they have such good control with their firearms. Their low population is probably a key factor, but it's still crazy!

tea_s avatar tea_ No Way 0Reply
@tea_ But that's just what I currently know, if you have more information please share because it is fascinating how they...

Yeah I wasn't actually thinking about you when I said liberals, the UK is often an argument they make. I don't think having a similar problem makes them any better a comparison. We are two different countries with different people and a different dynamic. Even for a low population, their gun related crime rate is insanely low. Another key difference here is we have a Constitution that guarantees us certain freedoms and rights. That may mean nothing to another country, but it isn't your culture so why would it? The 2nd amendment avoids the tyranny we escaped. No Government is impervious to corruption and tyranny, and an armed people are much harder to rule with an iron fist.

That is my main reason, but giving gangs more incentive to smuggle in "illegal" guns just seems like common sense to me. If someone wants to do something violent or kill a lot of people, they will end of story. We need to attack violence at it's root, and that root is people. That way we do not tarnish the values we stand for, freedom, and can also be proactive.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are +1Reply

So you're comparing the Holocaust to a country having stricter gun laws...?

@TheBlindMan So you're comparing the Holocaust to a country having stricter gun laws...?

One of the things that Hitler did before the Holocaust was establish stricter gun laws. So yes, I believe that OP is making a comparison of the two.

The Holocaust wouldn't have been possible without stricter gun laws. Armed citizens are very hard to rule with an iron fist.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +5Reply

Taking guns away from citizens is not "stricter guns laws". Clearly, I'm comparing a country where only police and military have guns to a country trying to do just that. As these two people have pointed out, stricter guns laws is where it begins.