+13

Generally speaking I believe fully the way to get anything from men is by sex appeal and looks... whether that be in a relationship, friendship, or the work place it works, 9 times out of 10. Studies have even been conducted and showed results that mirror my opinion...and men wonder why so many women are devious? Cause and effect, amirite?

miffedmuffins avatar Life
1 69
The voters have decided that miffedmuffin is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I like to believe people are more complex than that

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way +6Reply
@fuzala I like to believe people are more complex than that

Liking an idea and that idea being the reality are not the same. Aside from studies done, porn stars, strippers, and webcam models are rolling in it for a reason.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are +8Reply
@miffedmuffin Liking an idea and that idea being the reality are not the same. Aside from studies done, porn stars, strippers...

your post says to get anything from a man is through sex appeal and superficial qualities, but other studies have shown that these factors aren't enough
ultimately, other factors play a huge role in what people do
I also don't agree with women being devious for that matter

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way +5Reply
@miffedmuffin I'd be interested in seeing these studies. I'm doubting their existence.

it was in my textbook about Everyday Living

you can also look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

@fuzala it was in my textbook about Everyday Living you can also look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs...

Not a very good source. You should check out some scientific studies. This isn't exactly my point, but it's pretty telling. "Pretty people" get hired more often, statistics show. That definitely says something about our society and how much we base on outward appearances.

http://scienceblog.com/14974/wh...t-better-jobs/

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are -5Reply
@miffedmuffin Not a very good source. You should check out some scientific studies. This isn't exactly my point, but it's pretty...

You said "studies have even...my opinion". You present to us only one study.

Reviewing the study, the experiment was entirely based on the interviewers seeing photographs of interviewees. That was the only basis used for deciding who to hire. When you nothing about their qualifications, you're more than likely to choose someone who you would like to be around.

You also say 9 times out of 10. What butt did you pull that statistic out of?

Then you mention cause and effect. The only way this would apply is if a woman resorts to this tactic, the tactic works, then she concludes that this is how I get what I want.

Your facts/studies/observations do not warrant such a conclusion to be lept to.

If you have more on this that you would like to present, I'd be open to reading it.

I edited my comment to add a pyramid

also, the textbook was a good source or else the uni wouldn't have allowed it in the curriculum

the textbook also said attractive people are more likely to get the job, be found not guilty on trial, etc.

I never disagreed with that

I'll repeat what I'm disagreeing with
"your post says to get anything from a man is through sex appeal and superficial qualities, but other studies have shown that these factors aren't enough
I also don't agree with women being devious for that matter"

if an attractive person does a bad job, he/she is eventually gonna get fired

I'm saying that there are other factors and that attractiveness is not the only one

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way +2Reply
@fuzala I edited my comment to add a pyramid also, the textbook was a good source or else the uni wouldn't have allowed...

No, it isn't the only one, but it is the main one. If you wear a low cut shirt to an interview, you're probably getting the job if it's a male interviewer. That's the point. Getting things with sex appeal over someone else who doesn't have that. Whether they can actually do the job is completely irrelevant.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are -2Reply
@miffedmuffin No, it isn't the only one, but it is the main one. If you wear a low cut shirt to an interview, you're probably...

Who would be more likely to make a higher salary or a promotion, a woman who wears a low cut shirt or a male? Probably the male. Did they get the higher salary from their male boss because of sex appeal? Probably not. Hence, sex appeal does not always get you what you want. There have been numerous studies on women making lower salaries than men.

if people are too forward in an interview, they won't be chosen because the interviewer assumes that this can cause a lot of problems down the road

@miffedmuffin I'm pretty sure you just pulled that out of nowhere.

are you saying that this person would be chosen?

I saw it on the Tyra Show wary smilie

@fuzala are you saying that this person would be chosen? I saw it on the Tyra Show

First of all, you said interview which one can not be fired from. Second of all, you didn't even specify what you mean by being too "forward" in an interview leading me to fill in the blanks myself. If being too forward is a low cut shirt and a short skirt, no I do not think the first thing on a male interviewers mind would be "Gee, she's going to make trouble...I shouldn't hire her".

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@miffedmuffin First of all, you said interview which one can not be fired from. Second of all, you didn't even specify what you...

yeah on the Tyra Show (she aired clips of this interview/experiment)
they got these subjects to go to an interview
the interviewers thought that these subjects were in for a legit interview

there was this one subject that made suggestive comments about the interviewers body or something
and he, the interviewer, didn't pick her, the subject

he said that she wasn't professional in her conduct and he didn't want trouble in his workplace

professional conduct and qualifications > attractiveness

@fuzala yeah on the Tyra Show (she aired clips of this interview/experiment) they got these subjects to go to an...

I mean I see your point, but I don't see why you're making it because I never insinuated I disagreed that being pretty doesn't get you everything. I would say it gives you a large advantage that you can still mess up.

@miffedmuffin I mean I see your point, but I don't see why you're making it because I never insinuated I disagreed that being...

I see what you mean

while I agree with a few of the things you commented
I don't agree with the post in general

I feel like it stereotypes people inaccurately

maybe it seems true to you based on your observations

but my observations go a different way

@fuzala I see what you mean while I agree with a few of the things you commented I don't agree with the post in general I...

Well I didn't mean all of anyone, clearly our society is diverse. Statistically speaking everyone can't be like that, but it is a huge number of men, because if it wasn't, the industries I previously mentioned wouldn't be thriving the way they are.

@1888789

Men are of a very visual nature. I'm sorry you think so little of your own gender, though.

@miffedmuffin Men are of a very visual nature. I'm sorry you think so little of your own gender, though.

They don't think badly about your own gender, they sarcastically said that to point the incredibly sexist viewpoint this post takes.

@Frank_n_Furter They don't think badly about your own gender, they sarcastically said that to point the incredibly sexist viewpoint...

Yes and my reply was facetious. Duh. It's not my fault this guy is sensitive about the fact that the typical man will favor an attractive women over an ugly one in most situations.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1888865

Stereotypes exist for a reason, and the stereotypical men and women are who this is about. I suppose "Generally speaking" wasn't enough for people to realize I am not saying every single situation and every single man and women are like this. It's a common trend.

@1888888

I never said the only way. I do need to make a correction though. It's a typically successful way to get things from men a lot of the time. Is that better? I don't think I have to generalize everyone to be "fair" and keep people from getting butthurt. I wasn't just referring to how we prefer attractive people, I was referring to how the same men complaining about women are contributing to specific issue of women being "manipulative".

@miffedmuffin Stereotypes exist for a reason, and the stereotypical men and women are who this is about. I suppose "Generally...

Saying "generally speaking" shows the opposite of trying to imply you're not talking about everyone.

@Saying "generally speaking" shows the opposite of trying to imply you're not talking about everyone.

The definition of "generally" is: In most cases; usually. Check out a dictionary they're awesome.

@miffedmuffin The definition of "generally" is: In most cases; usually. Check out a dictionary they're awesome.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/...nary/generally
Saying "generally speaking" does the opposite of show that you're trying not talk about everyone, it literally says disregard of specific instances and with regard to an overall picture. Quit acting like a condescending **** about things you think is an error in thinking on the other person's part when you're actually just too closed minded and hard headedd to even give any point of view that doesn't support yours consideration before dismissing it.

@http://www.merriam-webster.com/...nary/generally Saying "generally speaking" does the opposite of show that...

Sillybear. I think maybe you need to work on reading skills...I think they make classes for that. In 2nd grade. Yes, I was talking about an overall picture, not every single person. The definition you just supplied. Did you read the part where it said as a general rule and "usually"? I am saying usually. Typically. In most cases. Need I go on or are you getting the picture?

@miffedmuffin Sillybear. I think maybe you need to work on reading skills...I think they make classes for that. In 2nd grade...

There is a hugely different connotation when someone says "not to generalize, not everyone is like this" and saying "generally, everyone is like this" And you have done both. You know what else you learn in second grade? Social and communication skills for one, and word connotations- if you'd payed attention, you'd know why "generally speaking" and "I don't mean everyone" imply different and conflicting information to the audience.

@There is a hugely different connotation when someone says "not to generalize, not everyone is like this" and saying...

Generally speaking means most people. I was talking about most people. You're trying way too hard to look smart right now, it's kind of cute.

@miffedmuffin Generally speaking means most people. I was talking about most people. You're trying way too hard to look smart...

I'm not trying to look smart, the fact you even think that just goes to show you yourself thought it sounded smart. You don't even have a rebuttal, you just repeated yourself. You're trying way to hard to be that "haha bitch idgaf:)" person.

@I'm not trying to look smart, the fact you even think that just goes to show you yourself thought it sounded...

I'm getting as little irritated with someone who doesn't understand the meaning of words and keeps repeating the definition to me that I originally posted. Also, *too. English class please.

@miffedmuffin I'm getting as little irritated with someone who doesn't understand the meaning of words and keeps repeating the...

lol I've used the word too correctly in this conversation, it was obviously a typo. Are you really so idiotic that you don't understand the difference between definition and connotation? Ex: good and fine mean the same thing, connotation is different when someone says "I'm good" and "I'm fine". Same way "Generally, everyone is like this." and "Not to generalize, not everyone is like this." are different. You apparently are so 1 dimensional and black and white you can't see the subtle difference everyone else did that caused your post to be down voted, that or you're just a defensive little bitch. You also apparently have no reading comprehension skills, the definition of the word "generally" is not in question but you keep going on about it.

@1888789

Going on what you said I also don't like how people think it's acceptable to call women devious for using sex appeal.
I also don't like the idea that women are more likely to to farther because of sex appeal when the exact opposite happens and in order for a women to be taken seriously she has to look a certain way.
Actually I don't like they we've decided that a women will be ridiculed regardless of what they wear and their lifestyles and choices are decided based on how they dress.
This is literally the most mysogenic statement I've heard in a while.

Cut the bullshit, guys. We all like attractive people more and will treat them more favorably.

Someone made the stupid statement that if an attractive person does a poor job, they will be fired. No fucking shit. That applies to everyone. The question is, if 2 women do an equally poor job, would the more attractive one be fired? The answer is no.

@TheMisogynist Cut the bullshit, guys. We all like attractive people more and will treat them more favorably. Someone made the...

if you read through that thread
you'll see that I said
I know that attractive people are more likely to be hired, be found not guilty on trial, etc.

I never disagreed with that

I'm disagreeing that attractiveness is in only factor that plays a role

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way -1Reply
@fuzala if you read through that thread you'll see that I said I know that attractive people are more likely to be hired...

Which he pointed how was a moot point, because I never said it was the only factor, I said it was the main one. Also, more liklier? What university are you going to that doesn't require basic knowledge of the English language?

@miffedmuffin Which he pointed how was a moot point, because I never said it was the only factor, I said it was the main one...

that was a typo obviously
attacking my grammar doesn't prove your point

and your post said to get ANYTHING from a man is by sexual appeal which is false

so that doesn't make my point moot

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way -1Reply
@fuzala that was a typo obviously attacking my grammar doesn't prove your point and your post said to get ANYTHING from...

It was a general statement you're trying to make specific. It's kind of hard to take someone seriously who can't even communicate in their own language properly.

@miffedmuffin It was a general statement you're trying to make specific. It's kind of hard to take someone seriously who can't...

I make one typo and now I can't communicate properly?

that's a bit of an exaggeration

when you used the term anything, I focused less on the generality of the post

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way +2Reply
@fuzala I make one typo and now I can't communicate properly? that's a bit of an exaggeration when you used the term...

Well, bad choice of wording I suppose. I did include "Generally speaking" for a reason. To avoid this.

@1888882

When I constantly hear about how devious and manipulative women are, it gets old. No, I don't think woman are completely blameless for being manipulative, I am merely saying the same men complaining are contributing.

@1888882

As for stereotypes, as I said they exist for a reason. As I also stated previously, strippers, porn stars, and webcam models make tons of money for a reason. These industries play on the very fault in a lot of men I am referencing in this post.

@1888882

yeah you're right Logan

I guess I got caught up in the wording

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way -1Reply

This is idiotic. Hundreds of commercials have flimsily dressed models trying to push their product on me but I don't go out there and buy every stupid thing just because there was a pretty face attatched.
As for using sexuality to get what you want in your personal life, let me be the first to say that I hope your future boyfriend finds someone who won't treat him like a donkey with a carrot on a stick.

@TheBlindMan This is idiotic. Hundreds of commercials have flimsily dressed models trying to push their product on me but I...

"Cut the ****, guys. We all like attractive people more and will treat them more favorably." Haha, perfect.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are -3Reply
@Frank_n_Furter That's not even relevant to their comment.

"This is idiotic. Hundreds of commercials have flimsily dressed models trying to push their product on me but I don't go out there and buy every stupid thing just because there was a pretty face attatched."

@miffedmuffin "This is idiotic. Hundreds of commercials have flimsily dressed models trying to push their product on me but I...

Quoting what he said doesn't make it relevant. Treating an attractive person better=/=buying products because an attractive person is selling them.

@Frank_n_Furter Quoting what he said doesn't make it relevant. Treating an attractive person better=/=buying products because an...

Whoa, what? That is retarded. No, I'm sorry. Buying a product with some random person on the box does not equal treating attractive people better. Giving them a job over an ugly person is literally treating them better. It's like he's trying to say, no way I don't buy stuff just because someone is pretty! Like that was my entire point. Ridiculous. We naturally favor pretty people. That's the point. In various ways, not just buying stuff because they are on the box. How is this so difficult to understand.

@miffedmuffin Whoa, what? That is retarded. No, I'm sorry. Buying a product with some random person on the box does not equal...

You know what's retarded? Thinking =/= means something is equal when it means the exact opposite. Even without knowing that specifically, you could use context clues- why would I say what you said is irrelevant then say the the thing you said and the thing they said are the same thing?

@miffedmuffin "Cut the ****, guys. We all like attractive people more and will treat them more favorably." Haha, perfect.

Actually in response to my comment it is not perfect. Try reading again and coming up with a valid arguement.

@TheBlindMan Actually in response to my comment it is not perfect. Try reading again and coming up with a valid arguement.

Nah I got it the first time. You completely dodge the point. So you won't run out and buy something with a pretty face on it...how that's related to the fact that we, and men especially, favor attractive people and treat them differently I am unsure.

@miffedmuffin Nah I got it the first time. You completely dodge the point. So you won't run out and buy something with a pretty...

It is related because your point was that the way to get things from men is sex appeal.
As for the point that men treat attractive people differently, I never said anything to the opposite. I merely pointed out that if you are using sex appeal in your personal life to get things from men then I feel sorry for the people you are abusing.

@TheBlindMan It is related because your point was that the way to get things from men is sex appeal. As for the point that...

I'm pointing out the same men complaining about a certain type of women are contributing, all the sudden I apply this tidbit to my own personal life? Talk about assumptions. I've realized this because of the very opposite, honestly. Which would be I found I was treated differently in different outfits, that I am primarily judged by the way I look instead of as a human being who is unique and not just a women with ****. Thanks for the judgement though.

@miffedmuffin I'm pointing out the same men complaining about a certain type of women are contributing, all the sudden I apply...

I was never assuming that you did this, I said if you did this I would feel bad for the people you would be abusing.
Assumptions are flying both ways in this arguement.

@TheBlindMan I was never assuming that you did this, I said if you did this I would feel bad for the people you would be...

I wish the common trend in this thread wasn't that I like my realization or that I'm some flaming feminist who hates men. I just found it incredibly unfair for men, not in their entirety, to treat and view women in this manner and to then complain when women use it to their advantage.

miffedmuffins avatar miffedmuffin Yeah You Are +2Reply

just because people treat/like attractive people better
doesn't mean that those attractive people will get everything they want

or that the only way to persuade people is through attractiveness

people have been persuading people with their words for years and years

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way -1Reply