+117

Shaming people for being skinny is just as bad as shaming people for being fat, amirite?

Summerstars avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
2 25
The voters have decided that Summerstar is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's worse. Skinny people are often attractive. :-)

@PhilboydStudge It's worse. Skinny people are often attractive. :-)

Either I don't understand your comment or you didn't understand the post. Or you understood the post and I understood your comment and I don't agree with it.

OP is talking about when people do things like imply you're anorexic for being skinny or that there's something wrong with you for being so skinny. Not just saying, "Wow, you're skinny." or something to that effect. It's as bad as someone shaming someone for being fat because you're saying that there's something wrong with them because of their weight when some people can't help it.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are 0Reply

Meaning either not bad at all or horrible depending on whether it's bullying or genuinely trying to help the person.

MusicIsAGifts avatar MusicIsAGift Yeah You Are 0Reply

I think that sometimes it can be better, sometimes worse, because it depends on their health. If they're actually harming themselves by it, then they should feel ashamed for their own sake because they don't deserve the mistreatment they're getting from themselves.

@Watchful_questioneer I think that sometimes it can be better, sometimes worse, because it depends on their health. If they're actually...

There's nothing to be ashamed about having a mental disorder.. The person didn't choose it. Shaming an anorexic isn't different from shaming someone with cancer. Neither one had any control.

RebaSoups avatar RebaSoup Yeah You Are +8Reply
@RebaSoup There's nothing to be ashamed about having a mental disorder.. The person didn't choose it. Shaming an anorexic...

It's not shame for having it, it's shame from seeing it's effects on you, which is pretty different. If they don't feel shame, how are they expected to ever try to become healthier?

@Watchful_questioneer It's not shame for having it, it's shame from seeing it's effects on you, which is pretty different. If they don't...

I see your point but the person shouldn't feel bad at all. The want to become healthier comes from wanting control of your own life again. Anorexia is so much more than cutting back on food

RebaSoups avatar RebaSoup Yeah You Are +3Reply
@RebaSoup I see your point but the person shouldn't feel bad at all. The want to become healthier comes from wanting control...

Then I suppose feeling bad isn't the only thing that can motivate some people. But to those for whom shame would bring the most motivation, I think they should feel some. While they may not deserve the guilt of it, they deserve to do something about it even more

@Watchful_questioneer Then I suppose feeling bad isn't the only thing that can motivate some people. But to those for whom shame would...

Well the thing is most of the time they do feel a sort of shame, but that doesn't stop them from doing anything.
People with eating disorders also often have some level of depression. They think their fat is disgusting and that no one loves them because of it, and maybe if they were thinner they could get love. Same for thinner people but with thinking they look creepy and have not curves.
In order to get better they don't need to be ashamed of what they've done, they need to feel self-confident about what they already look like, and pride in themselves.

@sighcantthinkofaname Well the thing is most of the time they do feel a sort of shame, but that doesn't stop them from doing...

But couldn't contentment lead to them continuing an unhealthy lifestyle as well? I'm only wishing shame on those who would ultimately benefit from it and actually be proactive about their problem, not those who would make it worse after recognizing it. Not because they deserve to feel bad, but because they deserve to have motivation to become healthier and happier

@Watchful_questioneer But couldn't contentment lead to them continuing an unhealthy lifestyle as well? I'm only wishing shame on those...

I really don't think anyone with Anorexia is proud of the end result. I found the tumblr of an elementary school friend who I learned developed an eating disorder. Seeing how low her self-worth had become was sad. She was both ashamed of herself for doing this, and felt she was disgusting.
The truth of the matter is eating disorders rarely even cause you to lose weight as they shut down your metabolism. It just gives you thin dull hair and brittle nails, so it's really impossible to be happy with the result.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think anyone develops an eating disorder and thinks "This is the diet for me!" with pride.

@sighcantthinkofaname I really don't think anyone with Anorexia is proud of the end result. I found the tumblr of an elementary school...

Still, some may not even trace it back to their disorder and blame something else. If they realize their disorder is the cause, then that may not be enough to make people try to better themselves. There needs to be something to motivate change in such people's diets, and for some, I think feeling shame can provide that catalyst

Skinny, yes, anorexic, no. Shaming people who are anorexic is like shaming people who are overweight. It's bad to be under or overweight, but as long as they fall in the 18-24 (?) BMI range, it should be perfectly acceptable.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -1Reply
@B10ckH34d Skinny, yes, anorexic, no. Shaming people who are anorexic is like shaming people who are overweight. It's bad to...

Some people are underweight and not anorexic. They just naturally fall below the 18 BMI range, and they shouldn't be shamed for that.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +3Reply
@_Jojo_ Some people are underweight and not anorexic. They just naturally fall below the 18 BMI range, and they shouldn't...

I mean that they look underweight. If they naturally fall there, they still look 18-19. It only begins to look anorexic if they do it artificially.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -2Reply
@B10ckH34d I mean that they look underweight. If they naturally fall there, they still look 18-19. It only begins to look...

What do you mean it only begins to look anorexic if they do it artificially? I don't do anything artificial with my body and I've been mistaken as anorexic several times- by assholes who are making fun of me and school councilor's.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Frank_n_Furter What do you mean it only begins to look anorexic if they do it artificially? I don't do anything artificial with my...

To me, people only look anorexic when you can see all the bones and almost no muscle tone at all. For further specification, I mean 'morbidly skinny', as in skinny to the point of being off putting. I find people who have naturally low body fat percentage still look okay, but people who go to lengths to be less than 18 BMI look much skinnier than someone who is naturally, say, 17.

yeah true..but it doesnt work on slim ppl. i dont think you can offend skinny ppl for being skinny xD no shame in being skinny.

CombatSkills avatar CombatSkill Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter I'm skinny and I've been offended about it.

It's definitely still offensive. People telling me to "eat a burger" and crap like that. An old lady at work told me to get some meat on my bones, a complete stranger. I eat what I want but I'm still skinny. It's no different to a stranger telling a fat person they've got too much meat on their bones. Body criticism is offensive no matter what end of the spectrum you are on.

FaaaMulaaans avatar FaaaMulaaan Yeah You Are +5Reply
@CombatSkill yeah true..but it doesnt work on slim ppl. i dont think you can offend skinny ppl for being skinny xD no shame in...

Yes you can. Do you think it's fun being told that you are bony? Skin and bones? Like a stick? Just because being skinny is often seen as more acceptable and "better" doesn't mean you can't be made fun of for being skinny.

When shaming skinny people, you have to consider their unique factors such as family health history and metabolism. Shaming fat people is always justified and should be protected speech in all national constitutions.

@TheMisogynist When shaming skinny people, you have to consider their unique factors such as family health history and metabolism...

Yeah, you're going to have to try to be a little less obvious if you're going to try to troll on this site. troll smilie