+80

The problem with kids these days is that they hate school and they don't want to learn. You can't excel at something when you have no desire to succeed, amirite?

Chewbanshees avatar Life
2 23
The voters have decided that Chewbanshee is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

When I say that I hate school I'm talking about the actual system (the way some things work). I honestly don't think I've ever met someone who says they "hate learning."

@TheBroadwayAudition When I say that I hate school I'm talking about the actual system (the way some things work). I honestly don't...

How do you feel about the system?

I see it as a gateway. The school exposes you to a bunch of different subjects to see what interest you. You wouldn't know that biology interest you if you were never exposed to the subject.

The problem with school is you can like one subject, and start excelling in it, and the school is like, " Shit, look! That's guy's a chemistry genius! That means he can attain the highest grade in the other 8 subjects. Now, we should increase the time he spends on the others, so he'll improve." It's liek the school is trying to be hated.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +4Reply

If they wanted to teach me something in school that was relevant to me in some way, I'd be happy to learn it. But of course I'm going to resist when they shove bullshit down my throat like algebra, Shakespeare, the farm life in 17th century Poland. The only reason that high school matters is that the people who decide our futures say that it matters. If they pulled me out of high school right now (halfway through junior year) and sent me to college to take classes on psychology (my chosen field), I could become an accomplished psychologist. High school doesn't matter in any practical sense (for most people).

@AtheisticMystic If they wanted to teach me something in school that was relevant to me in some way, I'd be happy to learn it. But...

Thats another problem I think is people asking "When am I ever gonna use this in life." which creates the idea that things like algebra are irrelevant. Learning algebra or shakespeare cannot hurt you in any way and it makes you a well rounded individual. Life is not just about your occupation later on.

Chewbanshees avatar Chewbanshee Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Chewbanshee Thats another problem I think is people asking "When am I ever gonna use this in life." which creates the idea that...

That's exactly what life is about. My life, anyway. I'm as well-rounded as I care to become and none of it is due to what I've learned in school. I read, I watch the history channel, I have intellectual discussions with people. School doesn't round me at all. Explain the advantage that an average person gains from learning algebra or Shakespeare. Requiring students to study things like that just creates an atmosphere of resentment and lethargy because 98% of the students are uninterested and will never use what they're being forced to learn after the test. It's all arbitrary with no practical application for a vast majority of students. The problem with our education system is the bullshit curriculum.

I have a desire to succeed and I'm still not going to excel at certain things. I like math and science, I just want to learn that. I don't want to read Shakespeare and analyze books, I'm not good at anything poetic because my mind is literal, if you don't say exactly what you mean I'm going to be lost. No matter how much effort I put into it, I will never understand Emily Dickinson poems or know why the author made the curtains red. And I don't care, that kind of stuff just doesn't interest me and it's of no importance to me. I have to do it though, and no matter how badly I want to succeed, I fail. And no, it's not a problem with just kids "these days." And no, lack of want to succeed isn't the problem, it's lack of interest, teaching method, and your abilities.

@Frank_n_Furter I have a desire to succeed and I'm still not going to excel at certain things. I like math and science, I just want...

I will agree that a lack of interest is a major problem.Perhaps this post would be more accurate if it said "You can't succeed in something you have no interest in." instead.

Chewbanshees avatar Chewbanshee Yeah You Are 0Reply

No way on kids hating school - most like it. Agree with all the rest.

@VicZinc No way on kids hating school - most like it. Agree with all the rest.

Haha, the only reason my friends would say they like school is to see their friends. Personally, I don't like school at all.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +5Reply

I am disagreeing with the part about kids not wanting to learn. It's not learning the lesson but how the lesson is taught that the kids hate.

This post times a million. There are so many teens out there aren't self-motivated and aren't willing to learn. It's just tragic.

Yeah, well maybe kids don't want to succeed or excel in math class. They might want to succeed in life, but they don't think that should require success in the class.

qwerty123s avatar qwerty123 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I would say that a lot of teens in my school don't want to excel because it makes you what they call a 'crack' and that's not a good label. This one boy asked me what my goals are for the new year, he was shocked that most are school related and responded with "you're being such a crack. I'm fine with 50s and 60s. I don't want to be a book nerd."
I didn't understand why, you need school to better your future. And don't get me wrong, some teachers aren't all that great at presenting the material to us, but you have to meet them half way to get the marks you want. I get called a crack and a nerd on a daily bases because of the work I put into school. It makes me sad how so many of peers don't have the drive for school.

Kaycees avatar Kaycee Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Kaycee I would say that a lot of teens in my school don't want to excel because it makes you what they call a 'crack' and...

That happened to me too. Two of my classrooms were right next to each other, so I always got to my second class fast. One kid said to me, "Why do you get here so early? God, you're such a nerd."

I also think that a lot of kids might think that if they play sports they can get scholarships and go pro and make money so they don't want to succeed in school

ZachNSC14s avatar ZachNSC14 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I hate school with a passion, I just want it to be finished... but I still work hard and get all excellences (equivalent to A's) because I know how important it is.