+95

It's weird when you can be who you wish you were when surrounded by complete strangers but crawl back into your shell when you are accompanied by people you know. It is almost like the people who love you most are inadvertently dragging you down, amirite?

lanas avatar People & Celebrities
6 6
The voters have decided that lana is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm literally the exact opisite. When I'm around strangers I don't act like myself at all, I try hard to be cooler than I am or I get too nervous and don't say anything at all. When I'm around my friends though I'm myself. I joke and laugh and relax.

I find myself copying their mannerisms a lot. I've never noticed anyone copying mine- I think some people are "stronger" (for lack of a better word) in terms of personality and it influencing people. Around strangers, I haven't picked up on their personality yet so there's no one for me to be but me. I've also noticed that generally people who act really cocky tend to like me more when I get to know them and act more like them and people I think probably have lower self esteem tend to like me more in the beginning when I'm more myself- I think they don't like seeing themselves in someone.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter I find myself copying their mannerisms a lot. I've never noticed anyone copying mine- I think some people are...

For me, it more like I want to change but the people that know already have an impression of me and I don't want them to see me go through a metamorphosis of sorts. But when I am with strangers, I can be who I want to be and not who I have always pretended to be which was something I created just to distinguish myself from those I know.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +1Reply
@lana For me, it more like I want to change but the people that know already have an impression of me and I don't want...

That's a shitty place to be in. But if they're really your friends, they will support your metamorphosis, I think everyone understands people change. As long as it's not in a bad way you should be fine. I understand the nervousness though, they got to know you when you were like that, what will they think when you're someone else?

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +1Reply

I see a little bit of myself in both what Colebowl and what Kiriopolis said. I think overall it's because I'm very insecure about myself and am moderately awkward (especially around unfamiliar people), but I also have a deep rooted part of me that desperately wants to be liked.

I think it's because I want to be liked, so when I'm around people I know I act how I think they want.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough Yeah You Are +1Reply