+70

It's pretty messed up that I'll be qualified to operate a nuclear reactor before I'm legally allowed to drink, amirite?

BigTRexs avatar Life
0 12
The voters have decided that BigTRex is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

How is it messed up? What does your ability to operate a nuclear reactor have anything to do with your body's ability to limit the effects of alcohol or your ability to maintain self-control while under its influence?

****ing idiots not thinking things through.

@TheMisogynist How is it messed up? What does your ability to operate a nuclear reactor have anything to do with your body's...

The concept of the drinking age being three years above the age you legally become an adult is what's is messed up. Specifically, in my case, the fact that I will be allowed to operate a nuclear reactor before I am allowed to drink just blows my mind. If you're trying to say that my body needs a few more years to develop/mature before I can be trusted to maintain self-control under the influence, shouldn't I have to wait that much longer to be allowed to operate a device capable of mass destruction?

BigTRexs avatar BigTRex Yeah You Are +6Reply
@BigTRex The concept of the drinking age being three years above the age you legally become an adult is what's is messed up...

No moron, you've obviously taken the required courses or whatever in order to operate a nuclear reactor. You've proven you can operate one without killing yourself or other.

And I'm not saying your body isn't ready, but it's much easier for the law to have a one-standard-fits-all age. Ideally, we could look at each person individually and determine if their bodies and mind is ready for alcohol, but we can't.

@TheMisogynist No moron, you've obviously taken the required courses or whatever in order to operate a nuclear reactor. You've...

I understand that there needs to be a one-standard-fits-all age. My question is why can't that age be 18 like 95% of other countries?

BigTRexs avatar BigTRex Yeah You Are +3Reply
@BetterThanEzra1119 Dude, if you want to drink so bad, you don't have to be of legal age.

I really don't think that's the point. The point is if you can be trusted with something which could be so dangerous, why shouldn't you be allowed to choose for yourself whether or not to drink alcohol?

@Fv92 I really don't think that's the point. The point is if you can be trusted with something which could be so...

I'm not sure if OP wants the drinking age lowered or not, or if they want the age to operate a nuclear reactor to be raised. Isn't that the point?

The US has one of the highest drinking ages in the WORLD, on par with many religious Islamic nations such as Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, and UAE. I had a conversation about this and someone says its for safety and to keep drunk-driving accidents from occuring. But you don't see the people of UK, Canada, Australia, etc. dying in car accidents much more frequently than in the us

MyHotHotJams avatar MyHotHotJam Yeah You Are 0Reply

Maybe we should just make 21 the age that you legally become an adult. That way arguments like this won't be valid anymore.