+150

You suck at consoling people because you're too realistic, amirite?

tags avatar People & Celebrities
5 13
The voters have decided that tag is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I just have no idea what I'm suppose to say and generally take the route of "well fuck, I'll tell you something even worse" which doesn't help most of the time.

Lens avatar Len No Way +7Reply
@Len I just have no idea what I'm suppose to say and generally take the route of "well fuck, I'll tell you something...

People like to hear, "everything will turn out alright."
But I can't ever bring myself to say things like that because I don't want to give false hope.

tags avatar tag Yeah You Are +12Reply
@tag People like to hear, "everything will turn out alright." But I can't ever bring myself to say things like that...

I'm always like, "well at least it isn't aids?" And no one seems to appreciate the fact that it isn't aids

I read this twice as "controlling" darn dyslexia. Consoling ...ah, yes.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +5Reply

I'm not too realistic, I just never know what to say so I usually just nod in agreement and say I'm sorry a lot.

I haven't experienced most of the problems people come to me with so I have no idea what to tell them and my brain starts flailing and I just want to hug them until everything is better.

Nah, I'm just not good at consoling people because I'm an awkward child. Generally, when people come to me with their problems it's because they don't want to talk about it and know that silence isn't awkward to me.

People seem to fail to grasp that realism and pessimism don't always go hand in hand. Sure, something bad happened. But that bad thing will happen a LOT more often if you think it is going to happen.

names avatar name No Way +1Reply

Well, if a friend needs consolation for a relatively minor problem that will DEFINITELY get better, then I can give them positive advice that's still true. For example, a few weeks ago, my junior friend (I'm a senior) was upset because he was stressed out from all his SAT prep, and he told me he just wanted the whole school year to be over. So I just reassured him that it would get better after the test--because it most definitely will.

I've been speaking with someone from my past lately about how fucked up his life is. He still talks to me while I am realistic with the advice I give (but not harsh), which is saying something.

"It's okay. We're all going to die anyway," sounds a lot worse when you don't respawn, apparently.

The_Zombiess avatar The_Zombies Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'm realistic but I make people feel better just by listening

I don't really have to say much at all

I'm not really a physical person, so when people are sad and need physical contact, I'll just sit next to them awkwardly.