+71

The world is an immoral place, amirite?

BetterThanEzra1119s avatar Life
1 11
The voters have decided that BetterThanEzra1119 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I would say amoral as opposed to immoral

That's because morals are arbitrary concepts that don't matter to anyone except those that have them.

@Mike_Hawk That's because morals are arbitrary concepts that don't matter to anyone except those that have them.

I don't buy that. Morals affect everything a person does including how they treat others, so morals do matter to others.

BigTRexs avatar BigTRex Yeah You Are +1Reply
@BigTRex I don't buy that. Morals affect everything a person does including how they treat others, so morals do matter to others.

They inadvertently affect other people, but it's not a direct affect. They certainly don't matter to anyone else, because they can't really do anything. Morals have no tangible effect on the outside world. If someone breaks into your house, no amount of morals will protect you or make them leave. If two other people are fighting, your morals aren't going to break them up.

But more in line with the post, morals only exist when there is a consciousness to think of them. The world exists regardless of any sentient life, and is therefore devoid of morals. Tossing a lit match into gasoline vapors will cause them to conflagrate whether or not a living thing is at risk. A gun pointed at an innocent person is no more likely to jam than a gun pointed at an assailant. The Universe is cold and uncaring.

By "the world" do you mean Earth as in the planet or "the world" as in everyone on Earth or . . .?

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Len By "the world" do you mean Earth as in the planet or "the world" as in everyone on Earth or . . .?

Not necessarily people. Just the world and things of the world, like money or getting swept up in the mindless ever-changing "norm". If I can think of a better way to explain it, I will.

immoral ?? Seriously ??

silverspoons avatar silverspoon Yeah You Are -1Reply