+8

The ratio of non-leaders to leaders is huge because most groups have only one leader. So why do schools teach “leadership” instead of “followership”? It would be far more beneficial to a society if it developed good followers. Amirite?

VicZincs avatar Life
2 21
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Even with being taught to be leaders, there's still few of them and there needs to be leaders, there's no reason to make less of them. A society full of people taught to be followers seems like it would easily manipulated.

@Frank_n_Furter Even with being taught to be leaders, there's still few of them and there needs to be leaders, there's no reason to...

Maybe this post is like a shopping cart with four good wheels. It goes wherever you want it...

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply
@VicZinc Maybe this post is like a shopping cart with four good wheels. It goes wherever you want it...

It's all perspective. That's how I think it would be unless someone else says another example of how a society like that would be, then I'd know someone else's perspective. The way I kind of imagine it is that we're all on the surface and deep under us is a diamond (the truth). I imagine a sort of mine being dug by us, that's us trying to think our way to the truth. Talking to people about their perspectives is like combining your mines and coming closer to the diamond.

@Frank_n_Furter It's all perspective. That's how I think it would be unless someone else says another example of how a society like...

Yes, people would more easily be manipulated in such a society. I would not like to be part of the that society (unless I was a leader) but I do think that such a society would benefit (in that it would succeed in its goals).

It's just that I, as an individual, do not allows agree with all of the goals of my society.

But the shopping cart potd made me think, if we are all leaders we'd all be going in different directions and nothing would get done.

But if we teach everyone to follow, who will lead?

@VicZinc You

and of course I am an anarchist so I don't give a damn about society. But logically it would be better to teach people both leadership and followership because good followers get better paying jobs than do rebellious workers.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1922388

Leadership is not inborn. It is made in classrooms and on the job and in the field.

Leadership is mostly common sense and confidence. A leader without one or both of those things is not a leader.

What do you think leadership skills are, if not confidence, and common sense?

@1935667

How do they inspire? Being confident is a huge part.
People naturally follow the best leaders because the best leaders are the ones who can best act confident even when they aren't.

if you were gonna follow a confident leader, or an uncertain leader, who would you follow? Of course you'd take the confident one.

That something extra that the best leaders have is practice. They rarely need to fake their confidence, because they are genuinely confident.

@DanTheMan How do they inspire? Being confident is a huge part. People naturally follow the best leaders because the best...

So before classrooms, or in preliterate cultures there were no leaders?
Of course there were.
Leadership can be taught, but in most cases, successful leaders are born that way.

Followership can also be taught, and rarely is taught in schools,

mostly it is taught in churches which is why religions have out lasted every government in history. the Jews, the Catholics and the Muslims have been exceptional at teaching followership. Now the new-age Christian faiths are catching on, watch out..

@VicZinc So before classrooms, or in preliterate cultures there were no leaders? Of course there were. Leadership can be...

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/new...t_powell.shtml

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/j...icleid=1717881

http://www.situational.com/wp-c...WhitePaper.pdf

http://www.psychologytoday.com/...s-born-or-made

A hell of a lot of really smart people spent a hell of a lot of money to discover that leaders are made, not born.

Things like confidence and common sense are really hard to teach, so there is an element of genetic predisposition, but great leaders don't need genetics to be great, they need practice.

Followership doesn't need to be taught, because it's so natural. Anyone who has ever been born has been a follower. Learning a first language is entirely followership. Doing what your parents say or your teacher or whoever just makes sense. No one needs to sit in a classroom to figure that out.

That you even suggest religion indoctrinates with blind, sheep like followership proves you know nothing about region.

@DanTheMan http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/new...t_powell.shtml http://www.emeraldinsight.com/j...m?articleid=17...

Interesting. So leadership can be taught but followership cannot. Got it. Having good followers would be "bad" for society. Got it. Having a religion with no followers (only leaders) is better than the alternative. Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I can rest easy now.

@VicZinc Interesting. So leadership can be taught but followership cannot. Got it. Having good followers would be "bad"...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious but I'm hoping for the latter and expecting the former.

No followers without leaders and vice -a-versa. Not everyone can lead. You either lead, follow, or get the **** out the way. The problem is that most followers do it blindly.

Hi

Kristi2140s avatar Kristi2140 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Interesting point. Maybe because when people know leadership, then being a good follower just follows (no sort of wordplay intended). Like how a square is a rectangle, but not vice versa. But

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are 0Reply