+78

There is no struggle quite like choosing a pronoun to refer to an androgynous person with a gender-neutral name, amirite?

lunalee003s avatar Jokes & Humour
2 16
The voters have decided that lunalee003 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

couldn't you just refer to them as they?

@xxdetroitxx couldn't you just refer to them as they?

Using "they" like that wouldn't be grammatically correct because he/she is only one person and the word they refers to multiple people

How about "you"?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc How about "you"?

Saying "hey you" to someone would probably be considered rude...

I just heard the word "androgynous" for the first time today, & now I'm hearing it again.

I will admit it: it took a few months before I knew for sure that my friend Cameron was a guy. (I mean, he does have long hair!) That was back when he was more of an acquaintance who I saw every now and then. By the time we hung out more later in the year, I was aware that he was a guy. ...I have never told him this though. XD

Cocaia12912s avatar Cocaia12912 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I actually don't understand how someone can be offended if they get mistaken for the wrong gender. I get mistaken for a boy all the time – but I've seen myself in the mirror, I know I look kind of boyish, and I take the opportunity to relish in the awkwardness that ensues when someone make a mistake and I "take offense" call them out on it.

@Fluoxetine I actually don't understand how someone can be offended if they get mistaken for the wrong gender. I get mistaken...

My son used to take great offence in being mistaken for a girl. It is a tribute to your self-confidence that your take it in stride.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply

They, them... it...

@Chewbanshee "It" feels awfully impersonal.

I was joking. Mostly. I mean, it would work, but I don't actually think you should do that.