+171

Attraction to someone's personality is stronger than physical attraction, amirite?

erusolos avatar Relationships
6 19
The voters have decided that erusolo is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The former can heavily influence the latter

someone average looking can start to look exceptional when you get to know him/her

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +10Reply
@fuzala The former can heavily influence the latter someone average looking can start to look exceptional when you get to...

the thing is that if someone finds another ugly
he/she is less likely to attempt to get to know this person

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +9Reply

Perhaps, but it seems some people will put up with a nasty personality because of physical attraction.

@PhilboydStudge Perhaps, but it seems some people will put up with a nasty personality because of physical attraction.

I am stumped by this one. Great post. I think they might be two different things, like gravity and magnetism. I homepaged it so I can see more thoughts.

I think physical attraction definately matters a little bit, but personality is more important. Sorry, i can't spell definatley.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough Yeah You Are +2Reply
@cookiedough I think physical attraction definately matters a little bit, but personality is more important. Sorry, i can't...

SPELLCHECK! I CHOOSE YOU!
Quick! Use Check Up!
SPELLCHECK used Check Up
But It Failed

kidder4life31s avatar kidder4life31 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I can't think of any time I've liked a guy because of physical attraction. Oddly I can't think of what any of them look like.

ItsATraps avatar ItsATrap Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's really great when you get both though

Well, for me anyway.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +1Reply

Personality has a definite impact on attraction. That said, people say this, but I have yet to see someone date someone who is really ugly just because of their personality. Personality is important, but so is physical attraction.

Most people who say personality is more important aren't being completely genuine. Yes it is important but physical attraction is just as important to people. So yes, physical attraction matters way more than just a "little bit" and there's no shame in it. Humans just like other animals are drawn to others based on physical features. That being said, you can definitely get a strong bond from someone's personality. However, if you aren't physically drawn to them you don't have to force yourself to be with them just because they're a nice person.

@Fugiama Most people who say personality is more important aren't being completely genuine. Yes it is important but physical...

psychologically speaking
personality is more likely to trump physical aspects

personality is longer lasting than physical aspects

it's able to mend and stand the test of time much more stubbornly than your looks

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala psychologically speaking personality is more likely to trump physical aspects personality is longer lasting than...

That doesn't mean that people are drawn to that alone. There are lots of people who will admit to you that if someone had a good personality but they were absolutely repulsive physically in their opinion, then it would never work. Notice I never said that you could do without the other, but pretending that looks don't matter at all would be naive.

@Fugiama That doesn't mean that people are drawn to that alone. There are lots of people who will admit to you that if...

sure looks matter

but personality is able to trump that
that's what I'm saying

my point is that personality holds more weight

and personality starts to matter even more with age when someone is looking to settle down

I'm just speaking generally though

No. Ugly people just wish it was.

@John_MacTavish No. Ugly people just wish it was.

There are no ugly people, only people whose beauty is not recognized by underdeveloped minds.

@VicZinc There are no ugly people, only people whose beauty is not recognized by underdeveloped minds.

I don't know why people down-voted your statement, I think it is completely true!

Get that strait from
A Disney book? Sometimes life can't be rainbows and sunshine just because we want it to be. there are ugly people and pretty people just like smart and dumb. A dumb person isn't 'intelligence not recognized by underdeveloped minds' they're just dumb. In many ways beauty can be defined, like facial symmetry and proportional facial features. Believing there are no ugly people in the world is a pleasant mind set, but it exposes your naïveté

@John_MacTavish Get that strait from A Disney book? Sometimes life can't be rainbows and sunshine just because we want it to be...

Perhaps your are right. Clearly many people observe what they believe to be ugly and they must enjoy it or they would choose to think otherwise.

After many years, I decided not to see ugly anymore because it was hindering my path. I may be an odd old man deluding myself into a state of bliss. Bliss is good.

Beauty has been defined by our society as you say, but I do not believe "ugly" has been defined in the same way. Many people without symmetry and proportion are still considered "not ugly" (Adrien Brody comes to mind among countless others I could name). Any quick look at Cuteoverload.com will give dozens of examples of wrinkly-irregular "ugly" little creatures that are just adorable.

I appreciate your comments.