+47

It's funny how there's no synonym for synonym. Amirite?

orangemangos avatar Jokes & Humour
1 13
The voters have decided that orangemango is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You and I must have very different senses of humor.

Another one of these incorrect posts? THERE ARE SEVERAL ALTERNATIVES FOR SYNONYM! synonym
noun
'harsh' may be used as synonym for 'oppressive': alternate, substitute, alternative, equivalent, euphemism.

@I think you are mistaken. Those aren't synonyms for synonym.

I JUST not even kidding JUST looked those up in a thesaurus. Are you disagreeing with a thesaurus about synonyms?

@VicZinc There is no synonyms for thesaurus

A synonomy is one. Wordfinder, wordbook, synonym dictionary...

@Skr3wBall A synonomy is one. Wordfinder, wordbook, synonym dictionary...

Synomineneniminy

Me trying to read that in my head.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +1Reply
@VicZinc There is no synonymy for Skr3wball

That doesn't quite make sense, a synonymy is a thesaurus... A synonym for a screwball is an eccentric or a goofball. Not the baseball kind though, I think that's a coined thing with no substitute.

@Skr3wBall I JUST not even kidding JUST looked those up in a thesaurus. Are you disagreeing with a thesaurus about synonyms?

Nope, just stating a fact. Synonym may be a synonym for alternate, but alternate isn't a synonym for synonym.

@Nope, just stating a fact. Synonym may be a synonym for alternate, but alternate isn't a synonym for synonym.

I just used it. There are alternates for synonym, and synonyms for alternate. You could say synonyms for synonym and alternate for alternates and they mean the same thing... Synonym is specific for words, but int hat context "alternative" refers to words as well.

Actually I looked this up a couple of days ago out of curiosity. Synonyms are equivalent, metonym and antonym is antonym.