+101

Words aren't offensive, only the manner in which they are used, amirite?

WolfeDeWarys avatar
4 12
The voters have decided that WolfeDeWary is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm, personally, offended when nigger is used by any race at any time toward anybody.

@Skr3wBall I'm, personally, offended when nigger is used by any race at any time toward anybody.

I think OP meant context.. like you said the word nigger. Some people are so afraid of the word that when even discussing it they resort to using "the n-word". Obviously if someone uses the term to insult another it is very derogatory and offensive but if used by itself, like in the context of explaining the uses of the word nigger, then it's just the same as any other word.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +4Reply

Why is that? I mean, I know you're black but I'm rather sure that isn't your only reason. I've never really gotten another view point on this sort of thing so it'd be interesting.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Len Why is that? I mean, I know you're black but I'm rather sure that isn't your only reason. I've never really gotten...

I don't think it should be used at all, I don't think that using it excessively in our society give the word a less offensive meaning. If we all started saying spic or kike, it's still very offensive. I don't think racial slurs should be used ever, they're pointless and I hate hearing them. I listen to music that says "nigga" a lot and "nigger" sometimes, they're the same to me, but whatever. I don't like hearing it in every day life, I know white people at my school that say it and it annoys me because we're going back into segregation and slavery where no matter what race, blacks were nergroes. Same thing now, but it's niggers.

This comment was deleted.
@1901856

Awh Len! l smilie

WolfeDeWarys avatar WolfeDeWary Yeah You Are +3Reply

I hate when certain people say things in a negative manner, know they said it in a negative manner, and when you take offence ask why you're making assumptions that what they said was negative. Soooooo irritating...

All language is inherently idiosyncratic. It's the context in which it is used and conversely how it is taken that makes it offensive. But the language itself is just a poorly formed mammalian species' best attempt at communication.The word fuck is no more offensive by default than the word darn except that someone somewhere along the line decided that it was.

RobertSines avatar RobertSine Yeah You Are +2Reply

Some words, like "synergy," really get on my tits.

@1901986

Well, the other day, I put some band-aids to cover my nipples because it felt like my shirt was about to rip them off. So, that's right. Band-aids also get on my tits.