+42

Bullying likely originated from a chastisement of socially unacceptable action. It was never the best way, but it would at least function because it would (mostly) discourage truly inappropriate behavior. Now, it has devolved to an immature practice of status and it no longer even discourages inappropriate behavior because it's over petty things that people no longer respond well to. Bullying is now pointless and obsolete in society, amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar Life
0 14
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I suspect it originated from competition for mating rights and sadly it still serves that function as long as humans continue to be attracted to bravado and repelled by vulnerability.

@VicZinc I suspect it originated from competition for mating rights and sadly it still serves that function as long as...

But if it stemmed from competition it wouldn't be bullying, because it would be two-sided. Bullying, by definition, is one sided.

@Watchful_questioneer But if it stemmed from competition it wouldn't be bullying, because it would be two-sided. Bullying, by definition...

Competition not between the two but with the whole "tribe" or group. The bully would traditional have more access to fertile partners because they would be held in a higher esteem. Bullying is a mating display. The peacocks tail, the more people you can bully the higher your social status.

Bullying definitely has a place. If someone clings to my arm every second of every day dropping the most foul spew of words I have ever heard, I am going to either punch them in the face or insult them until they leave. Depends on how much weight/arm length they have on me of course.

names avatar name No Way +2Reply
@name Bullying definitely has a place. If someone clings to my arm every second of every day dropping the most foul spew...

Again, that wouldn't really be bullying because it would be two-sided, and it would be only one instance of that occurring, whereas bullying is one sided, and repeated.

I'm not a bully but I do feel like it has a place. I would bet money that more lives would be ruined if there wasn't somebody that knocked you down a peg and made you climb back up than the ones that are currently being ruined by relentless bullying

@Kumquat So you're saying that in general we would be worse off without bullying? How so?

Because everyone needs to know how to deal with crap the right way. If we coddle every precious gift from God, we'll have a society of perpetual children that don't know how to accept failure with grace, or strive to be better people.

We all need to be knocked down so that we know how to get back up. Don't get me wrong, of course there is an inherent evil with bullying, but in moderation I think it serves a purposeful rule in society

@WinniethePooh Because everyone needs to know how to deal with crap the right way. If we coddle every precious gift from God...

I was bullied unmercifully in middle school. Looking back now I realize I was a smug pretentious douche-bag (still am) I would have smacked me around too.

Well i'd say there's a difference between bullying and constructive criticism. I see no place for bullying.

Bullying is not the best way to make people realize their flaws. And nowadays, many victims of bullying just pity themselves and don't get back up. It's often too harsh, and uncontrolled and can get out of hand. People need to learn to cope with difficulty in other ways, and life has no shortage of them - believe me. Those that are too arrogant are most often the bullies, not the ones getting knocked down like they should be.

@Watchful_questioneer Bullying is not the best way to make people realize their flaws. And nowadays, many victims of bullying just pity...

It sucks to be bullied. I am afraid it will never go away. The best bet is to teach kids how to respond, both as victims and as spectators. The bully will only learn if his/her ass gets beat. By the intended victim, no amount of coaching will make it go away.

I believe it's likely that the practice of discouraging behavior split, one evolving and the other devolving or more likely stagnating. The side that evolved became a societies justice/legal practices where the individual became labeled deviant and set standards were put in place as punishment. The devolved side is "bullying", which serves a similar purpose but it punishes behavior that isn't particularly harmful and seeks to punish an individual regardless.

Anonymous