+170

I think it's just as offensive to say you love all gay people as it is to say you hate all gay people. Love or hate them for who they are, not their sexuality, amirite?

Relationships
5 57

Saying you love all gay people doesn't mean you love them for being gay. I like all black people, not because they're black but because I like people.

@I think in both cases it's putting too much focus on a minor detail.

Well I, personally, take a lot of time with the wording of my posts so there are no loopholes or different ways to read it so you have to GENUINELY disagree with me to NW. So if I find an occasion where I don't agree with a post, then I can't agree with the post, I'd be lying.

@I doubt you like every single person in the world tho

That's true, but I can't name a black person off the top of my head I don't like, I know one white person I cannot stand, no asians and one hispanic who is kinda leaning both ways... Just happens that I like all black people. I don't know any gay people I hate, but the white guy who is a total prick is straight. Also I like all bi people as well.

Just how the cookie crumbles ya know?

@Now I feel like you're coming off as a tad stereotypical

What stereotype am I following wary smilie It's not my fault that prick has white parents...

@Skr3wBall What stereotype am I following It's not my fault that prick has white parents...

Because I feel like it is just so irrelevant that he is white. And I feel like it is so stereotypical to say you like all black people based on a few experiences with them

@Because I feel like it is just so irrelevant that he is white. And I feel like it is so stereotypical to say you...

It is irrelevant, but if I said I liked every white person, I'd simply be a liar. I like all asians to if it makes me seem like less of a racist...

@Skr3wBall It is irrelevant, but if I said I liked every white person, I'd simply be a liar. I like all asians to if it makes...

But you don't know that because you haven't met every Asian. You're basing your opinion off of a few people you've met

@But you don't know that because you haven't met every Asian. You're basing your opinion off of a few people you've met

Well... yeah... I'm not just going to assume the worst of every person I haven't met... I like to say I like everyone until proven that I do not like them. That's just my philosophy though, a lot of people have it neutral or they dislike everyone until they happen to like them.

@Skr3wBall Well... yeah... I'm not just going to assume the worst of every person I haven't met... I like to say I like...

But you know that there are going to be people in a group that are bad. You can't just say "I'll assume this group of people is perfect until I've personally witnessed otherwise". You know that there will be murderers, thiefs, and criminals in a group, and it's offensive to say you like them, while not judging another group of people to the same standard.

If you say you like all black people, when you know that includes bad people, just for being people, then it's discriminatory to say that you don't like all white people, because that judges two groups by different standards.

@Butthenyouagreewiththemainpointofthepost

I don't think it's offensive to say you like all gay people. It shouldn't offend anyone that you like all members of a certain group of people.

@I think it's objectifying

It's not, because in Skr3w's case, he's saying that he honestly likes every gay person he knows, he's not making a broad generalization about all gay people.

shelbmes avatar shelbme Yeah You Are 0Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean that you like all blak people that you know. Odds are in favor of you not liking every black person ever, just as you don't like every white person ever. By summing up an entire, large group, seems sort of dishonest.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Skr3wBall Saying you love all gay people doesn't mean you love them for being gay. I like all black people, not because...

You don't have to personally be able to name someone black/gay you don't like, you just have to admit that there are people of said group that you don't know, and therefore you can't say you like them. There have definitely been murderers, assholes, and bad people in that group that you refer to when you say "I love all _ people".

How is it offensive to say you love a group of people? o.e

@xxdetroitxx How is it offensive to say you love a group of people? o.e

It's discrimination. Loving people because they're gay is like assuming someone's smart because they're Asian.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +9Reply
@xxdetroitxx That seems more along the lines of a stereotype than discrimination

What I was trying to say was this:
Whether you like someone or hate someone based on their sexuality, it's putting too much focus on it.
Their sexuality is a minor detail, no more important than their hair color or eye color.
When I find out somebody is gay, I don't like them more or less because I don't see anything different about them. I like them because of things I later find out about them, but their sexuality doesn't (and shouldn't) effect it

You should judge people on their actions, intentions, morals, effort, etc. not on a trait that they have no impact on. It implies that you like even the people in a group that are murderers, bullies, thiefs, and such solely due to the fact that they're gay, which is wrong and offensive because you don't necessarily hols other groups to that same standard.

I think in both cases it's putting too much focus on a minor detail.

I don't think it's offensive but I do think it's ignorant to think you can categorize such a large group based on one fact.

Anon, I like you.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Len Anon, I like you.

I quite like you too :D

I'm gay myself and it bugs the crap out of me when ever girls say "I love my gays". Oh what are gay men a fashion accessory or something now? Or "I love gay guys, they're so funny", yeah funny story, we don't all act like Richard Simmons or Andy Dick. Hell I probably act straighter than half of my straight guy friends.

I get what you mean and agree but I think offensive is the wrong word. Patronising fits a little better but not properly. It's like using the term 'Afro-caribbean'. It just draws needless attention to itself.

RobertSines avatar RobertSine Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's not about loving them because they're gay. It's about loving them because they're a human being, regardless of their sexuality

@Fanatic It's not about loving them because they're gay. It's about loving them because they're a human being, regardless of...

Well, do you love every human being? Even those that stand in the way of other human beings, and have a negative effect on society? Because I have never heard someone say the phrase referred to by the post and intend it that way. If you truly love all people, why would you ever need to single out a single group, why not just say "I love all people"? All the gay people in the world would be contained within that group, therefore it makes much more sense to say it like that, and even that is morally questionable, though not discriminatory.

@Watchful_questioneer Well, do you love every human being? Even those that stand in the way of other human beings, and have a negative...

Well I do love all people. I'm not trying to single out gays. But if the topic is gay people, and I love all people, regardless of their sexuality, why wouldn't it be okay for me to say I love all gay people?

@Fanatic Well I do love all people. I'm not trying to single out gays. But if the topic is gay people, and I love all...

Well in that case, it's not discriminatory, but it may still be considered offensive to some that you love even the murderers, criminals, and other awful people in the world just as much as the very good people of the world.

@Watchful_questioneer Well in that case, it's not discriminatory, but it may still be considered offensive to some that you love even the...

alright. All I'm trying to say is, why would a gay person ever get offended for someone saying they love them as a person, no matter what their sexuality is?

@1905559

It's not about me saying, OMG I LOVE GAY GUYS. It's about me saying, I love all people, including those that are gay.

@1905669

It could be taken either way

@Fanatic It could be taken either way

If you don't actually pay attention to what the post is about and only apply a subjective reasoning that only applies to your view instead of taking into consideration the feelings of gay people to it then yes.

@If you don't actually pay attention to what the post is about and only apply a subjective reasoning that only...

I absolutely was taking in the considerations of gay people. I still don't see why any gay person would be offended by me saying that I love then regardless of their sexuality, although I don't agree with their actions.

@ Although I don't agree with their actions

Not agreeing with their actions doesn't mean I don't love them. That's the point I'm trying to get it. And I don't know any gay person who has ever been offended by me saying that I don't agree with their actions, but I love them regardless

@Fanatic Why I think homosexuality is a sin?

Sure, if that's why you disagree with it

@Sure, if that's why you disagree with it

That is. I live by the standards God has set for me and I try to live how I know he wants me to live. It's not necessarily homosexuality I agree with, it's more about me thinking that all intimate relationships need to glorify God. A homosexual relationship doesn't do that

@Fanatic That is. I live by the standards God has set for me and I try to live how I know he wants me to live. It's not...

I could give you a long rebuttal from a Christian standpoint but idk if that's what you're looking for here

I wish I knew who you were so I could follow you.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Frank_n_Furter Woot!

That awkward moment when you only allow messages from people you follow....

@I shall send you a message!

You should tell me as well. jolly smilie

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are 0Reply

Thank you. I've experienced something like this a few times:

Me: I can't stand that guy
Friend: you know he's gay right?
Me: yes
Friend: and you're gay too
Me: yes
Friend: sooooooo shouldn't you like him?

It's stupid

tags avatar tag Yeah You Are 0Reply