+59

You hate it when your dad has you killed in order to prove he is omnipotent, especially when it would have been easier to just get over that grudge he's been holding about great-great grandma eating his apple. Amirite?

Religion
4 41

The Christian/Catholic God comes off as a giant douchebag. He asks an awful lot for the amount of effort he puts forth to do anything for us.

"I'm all-powerful and all-knowing, but I'm going to do literally nothing to prove I exist. In return, you must worship me as the most important thing in the entire Universe and love me more than you love yourself or your family; if you don't, you will be spending eternity in a place getting tortured far worse than is even possible in life."

Seriously, you can't even expect another person to like you if you don't at least remind them you exist every now and again (which is His design, anyway). Also, why even give us free will if He's going to throw a fucking tantrum if we don't do what he says? It's like a video game designer being a whiny bitch over the in-game characters not doing what he wants. REALLY, BRO?!? YOU WROTE THE FUCKING CODE!!! JUST MAKE THEM DO WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO!!

I don't think it's 100% impossible that there is a higher power, but I highly doubt it's the asshole of a creator that some religions make it out to be.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Mike_Hawk The Christian/Catholic God comes off as a giant douchebag. He asks an awful lot for the amount of effort he puts...

I understand where you come from, but you have to try and see it from a Christian perspective. God is all powerful and created us so we could have a relationship with him. All he wants out of that relationship is to love us and be loved in return. With that relationship with God, we have a newfound hope for an eternal paradise with him, even though we disobey him every day and fall so short of how awesome he is. I don't know, I see why you think the way you do about Christianity. But it's quite the opposite to any Christian. We just feel so unworthy of any of God's grace and mercy. We want to obey him and we want to love him because we know he knows better than we do and only wants the best for us, if that makes sense. It's about looking at it through the perspective that we all deserve hell, but God made a way out

@Fanatic I understand where you come from, but you have to try and see it from a Christian perspective. God is all powerful...

God sounds like a mentally ill child with severe separation issues. Completely all-power and all-knowing, but still has desires. Rather than eliminate the desires Himself, he makes an attempt at satisfying those desires, but fails it completely when he makes us. Rather than fix us, He makes us inherently evil and punishes us.

Here's my take on the whole situation. I am the head chef of a restaurant, and I really want some pancakes. Rather than make myself some pancakes, I decide to start hiring employees in the hopes that they will make me some pancakes. Rather than perform background checks and look at credentials, I hire literally anyone who will walk through the door. I end up with a bunch of children, homeless people, and felons. Thing is, I only told the first guy that all the employees have to make me pancakes, or they will be locked in the dungeon I have under my house, and it's his job to pass on the information to everyone else. Meanwhile, I go home and never swing by to check up on how things are going. Also, the restaurant doesn't even look like a restaurant. Now I have no pancakes, AND and bunch of people needlessly trapped in my dungeon. Does That make any sense?

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Mike_Hawk God sounds like a mentally ill child with severe separation issues. Completely all-power and all-knowing, but still...

The thing is, he didn't make humans inherently evil. We did that by committing the first sin and bringing evil into the world. I don't really care to argue about it because I know neither of us will change the others mind. I just wanted you to see how I saw it

@Fanatic The thing is, he didn't make humans inherently evil. We did that by committing the first sin and bringing evil into...

Didn't he, though? He made everything the way it is. He set up the scenario in a way that the outcome was pre-determined, and he KNEW what the outcome would be. There are a million things he could have done to change it, and any of them would have been nothing to Him. He can't claim ignorance. The fact that the original person's actions were enough to condemn all of us shows he has the capacity for understand responsibility. How was he not responsible for us? Why didn't He do anything to solve His dilemma? You don't just hand a person a hammer and set them in a puddle of nitroglycerin, and then not tell them why they shouldn't hit it with the hammer. If it is within your power, you take away the hammer, the puddle, or both. At the VERY LEAST, you give them a valid reason not to hit the puddle.

He's fucking shitty at his job, and the only reason anyone is saying he is great is because He said He is. I should be worshiped! I say I am great, I'm better at what I do than God, it's possible to prove I exist, and I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO PUNISH YOU IF YOU DON'T! I just made a new religion, it's called Cockism. Chill out, have fun, and don't fuck with other people's shit.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply

A bit of a cop out there. And about the calling them rude but saying "haha" to someone who has just expressed their valid reason for their opinion... I'm not saying he couldn't have been a bit more tactful or that they were polite, but practice what you preach.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Frank_n_Furter A bit of a cop out there. And about the calling them rude but saying "haha" to someone who has just expressed their...

I wasn't meaning my "haha" to be rude. But he was clearly making fun of my religion and disrespecting it in every way. That "haha" was more of me taking a deep breath and trying to explain myself in a calm way, which I believe I did

@1905785

What? Down voting is for comments you don't agree with, If I don't agree with it, it would only make sense for me to down vote it

@Fanatic I wasn't meaning my "haha" to be rude. But he was clearly making fun of my religion and disrespecting it in every...

Sorry, but laughter generally doesn't show a deep breath and explaining yourself calmly. I already mentioned the way he presented his comment, and I've already addressed: "practice what you preach." In other words, don't use his rudeness to justify your own.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Fanatic I wasn't justifying anything. Besides my laughter, how was anything I said rude?

Are you going to down vote every comment that doesn't agree with you and close yourself off to logic and reasoning? Yes, you have, it's pretty clear you're justifying yourself at this very moment, and if you're going to ask "besides me being rude, how was I rude?" then this conversation is over.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter Are you going to down vote every comment that doesn't agree with you and close yourself off to logic and reasoning?...

What? People down vote comments when they don't agree with them. Why would it not make sense for me to down vote comments I don't agree with? How does that have anything to do with reasoning and logic?

@Fanatic What? People down vote comments when they don't agree with them. Why would it not make sense for me to down vote...

Nothing, no one ever said down voting comments you disagree with is illogical. It's just childish to down vote every comment the person you're talking to makes and you have a habit of ignoring logic.

@Frank_n_Furter Nothing, no one ever said down voting comments you disagree with is illogical. It's just childish to down vote...

I'm not ignoring any logic. I believe in a completely different lifestyle than you, so of course we're going to disagree, but it doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong. No one knows the absolute truth, and we won't until we die. It's pointless to argue about it and I wasn't trying to in the first place. I wanted to explain how I saw things.

@Fanatic I'm not ignoring any logic. I believe in a completely different lifestyle than you, so of course we're going to...

I wasn't talking about God or your life style being illogical. I was talking about you laughing at someone's valid opinion but being hypocritical and calling them rude, in other words, not practicing what you preach, which no matter your life style, is illogical.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter I wasn't talking about God or your life style being illogical. I was talking about you laughing at someone's valid...

I didn't mean for my "haha" to be rude. I really didn't. I'm sorry it came off that way. I wasn't trying to he a hypocrite and I tried to explain my view as respectfully as I could. Sorry my one "haha" completely ruined my argument. It was my intention to disrespect anyone

My religion may not be as intricate and ingrained in society as Christianity, but it's definitely a better deal.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Mike_Hawk My religion may not be as intricate and ingrained in society as Christianity, but it's definitely a better deal.

And it's not about having an intricate religion. It's really not that complicated when it just comes down to living as Jesus did and trusting and loving God. And that's fine if you don't believe it, but you really don't have to be so rude about it.

Haha. Okay. That's really not what happened. God made humans to like in shalom and happiness with God. He told them not to eat the forbidden fruit, but they believed Satan instead and thus chose Satan's side instead of God. And we are condemned because of that choice but that doesn't mean we don't sin too. We're just as responsible as Adam and Eve because we sin just as much as they did on a daily basis. And have you ever thought about it in the way that God created us, knowing that we would eventually rebel against him, but also knowing he would get us out of it? He didn't just leave us in our sin. And it's not his fault we sin. He gave us free will and we chose it.

Aside from the fact that you're trying to make a bad joke ridiculing Christianity, you don't seem to actually know much about the religion because that's not even close to the way it went

@WinniethePooh Aside from the fact that you're trying to make a bad joke ridiculing Christianity, you don't seem to actually know...

Just another test of your faith, and you pass again. I love testing you guys. I hate relying on omniscience! See you in heaven with my dad when you die. Hallelujah!

@Just another test of your faith, and you pass again. I love testing you guys. I hate relying on omniscience! See...

Hm, seems Jesus can go 40 days without food or water but not without an internet connection.

Jesus was a socialist who took a stand against existing class systems and expressed solidarity with the poor, thus threatening the status quo, so the Romans had him killed. Ironically, a few centuries later, the Romans adopted Christianity as the official religion. Fuckin' hypocrites!

I am going to get hated for this.

If god knows all, why did he put the god damn tree there? He knew we would eat it.

@guitarplayer213 If god knows all, why did he put the god damn tree there? He knew we would eat it.

He also would have known that Lucifer was the one who'd get us to do it so why was he allowed in the Garden?

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not that he "knows all" as in there is a set path that everything will go. His knowledge of "all" comes in more of the form of a forever-expanding tree. Of course, only one path will be the actual, but human free will comes into play in deciding which path that one will be. He knows the result of each individual path, which is where the all knowing part comes from. Hope that helped.

@WoIverine It's not that he "knows all" as in there is a set path that everything will go. His knowledge of "all" comes in...

Dad! Quit messing with their heads. Tree, ha ha, - that's rich - and so self referential. BTW, I love the "Wolverine" persona, it actually fits your personality so well (jk dad).

Sorry folks...he in one of his "moods" again. The whole global warming and Arab Spring thing should calm down in a few centuries. He's such kidder!

@Dad! Quit messing with their heads. Tree, ha ha, - that's rich - and so self referential. BTW, I love the...

Actually I'm not quite "Wolverine", I'm WoIverine, the L is an i. I'm like his lesser known twin, with claws and all, but without all the anger issues and problems that arise with the original!

My dad is a real cut-up. He loves to make jokes and such. I remember the time he made people populate the Earth and then (he-he get this) he flooded the whole planet! He killed all but like 4 or 5 of them. What a card! Oh my dad, I laughed for like a whole week. Got to love the guy. Glory!

"You bitches! That was MY apple!"
-God

Such blasphemy in this post. Smh.

Lol anything Fanatic is saying is bullshit #srynotsry

@Lolita Lol anything Fanatic is saying is bullshit #srynotsry

I don't completely agree with Fanatic, but I am not one to have religious debates with people (except on this post because it's such a perfect post to spark a troll-debate.)