+155

It's weird how "'I' before 'E' except after 'C'" is a rule that when weighed against others is practically seized with exceptions that can be used at one's leisure. It has to be either heinous trick by english teachers or a rule that needed better surveillance before being told to everyone, amirite?

Skr3wBalls avatar Language
21 32
The voters have decided that Skr3wBall is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"'I' before 'E' except after 'C' and when sounding like 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'"

@fuzala Einstein?

Yes I know.
But if I had said "you look like Albert Einstein in your picture" I wouldn't have been able to say the word science which is also another exception to the "I" before "E" except after "C" rule

xxdetroitxxs avatar xxdetroitxx Yeah You Are +1Reply
@xxdetroitxx Yes I know. But if I had said "you look like Albert Einstein in your picture" I wouldn't have been able to say the...

I was wondering why you bolded "science"

I did a report on him in 5th grade where I dressed up, so I still had the costume c:

oh I didn't even notice that
the bold didn't catch my eye for some reason

there's an e before i in his name,
but I don't know if that fits with the rule he's talking about

fuzalas avatar fuzala No Way -1Reply
@Frank_n_Furter "'I' before 'E' except after 'C' and when sounding like 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'"

Weird, seize, leisure, fahrenheit. I just couldn't get fahrenheit in this post.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Skr3wBall Weird, seize, leisure, fahrenheit. I just couldn't get fahrenheit in this post.

Here's a list of all the exceptions. I think it's kind of a pointless rule to have if there's that much wrong with it. http://alt-usage-english.org/I_before_E.html

@Frank_n_Furter Here's a list of all the exceptions. I think it's kind of a pointless rule to have if there's that much wrong with...

Yeah, I did too, so I went through the trouble of forcing exceptions into my post about how weird the rule is.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are -1Reply

"i before e, except after c, or when sounded as 'ay,' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.' 'weird' is just weird, and 'neither' doesn't follow the rule either."

idk about science, einstein, or heinous, though xD

sabachthanis avatar sabachthani Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Skr3wBall heinous is like weigh... at least in an american accent. but Fahrenheit.

whoops i thought it was pronounced high-nous.
but fahrenheit, the guy who invented fahrenheit, was dutch/polish so he doesn't count :DD

sabachthanis avatar sabachthani Yeah You Are 0Reply
@sabachthani whoops i thought it was pronounced high-nous. but fahrenheit, the guy who invented fahrenheit, was dutch/polish so...

ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: named after Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit (1686–1736), German physicist.

I've never heard of him wary smilie

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Skr3wBall ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: named after Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit (1686–1736), German physicist. I've never heard of...

the german rule regarding i and e is good...whichever letter is last is the one that gets the sound

I was actually confused about this as a child. When I came across words that had an e before the i I would always think about that rule then it would get my mind all twisted up before I finally decided that the rule was invalid. For years I've been spelling weird like, "wierd." Thank you, educational system and your rules and whatnot. no smilie

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yeah You Are +2Reply

More words break this rule than follow it.

DevonHollanders avatar DevonHollander Yeah You Are +2Reply

It's disappointing that the words you put in bold don't stand out as much as they should.

It isn't taught as a rule in the UK anymore.

Can we just agree that English is a terribly inconsistent language? English doesn't borrow from other languages, it holds them at gunpoint in back alleys and pickpockets them for their irregular rules.

Budweiser.