+94

The best way to win a fight is to resolve the situation without one, amirite?

Watchful_questioneers avatar Relationships
4 18
The voters have decided that Watchful_questioneer is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1906576

It's the best outcome in a situation involving the possibility of a fight. You beat the fight by not letting it exist, in a way.

@1906576

It's kind of like saying the best way to cure a hang over is to not drink so much in the first place. It's prevention, not resolution. I guess avoiding a fight is beating the fight in a way, but it's not winning a fight.

@Watchful_questioneer Not to cure a hangover- but to deal with the notion of hangovers

Yes, not drinking is a way to deal with the notion of a hang over. What I'm saying is "winning" a fight without actually fighting is like "curing" a hang over by not drinking.

@Frank_n_Furter Yes, not drinking is a way to deal with the notion of a hang over. What I'm saying is "winning" a fight without...

I meant to generate irony by altering the meaning of the phrase "winning a fight" to "winning in a situation involving potential fighting" in this post, which I was hoping would be implied by context.

@Frank_n_Furter Oh.

It's also different from your example in that if you've already drank, you're going to have a hangover no matter what, and it's too late to change the cause to prevent the effect, but it's still theoretically possible to diffuse the tension that causes a fight, so it's not quite the same thing.

I have to go sleep now

@Watchful_questioneer It's also different from your example in that if you've already drank, you're going to have a hangover no matter...

In my example, you cure a hang over by not drinking, you're already not drinking. Saying the best way to cure a hangover is to not drink is like saying the best way to cure a cold is to wash your hands frequently.

In all of these cases, it is prevention, not a cure or winning.

@Frank_n_Furter In my example, you cure a hang over by not drinking, you're already not drinking. Saying the best way to cure a...

But winning a fight doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as curing a situation in which a fight is already present. The word "curing" is what makes it different- I'm not referring to a situation in which a fight has already started, and if it has, one can still stop it willingly with mutual consent, unlike a hangover, which is doomed to occur from the moment you drink too much.

@Watchful_questioneer But winning a fight doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as curing a situation in which a fight is already...

Fights are meant to resolve problems. A fight or argument is a solution or a cure to a problem
(even though it doesn't always work, but no cure is 100% effective), it just sounds weird saying it like that. It's the same concept. A hangover isn't always gonna be there the moment you drink too much. I have found I can drink an entire bottle of JD to myself as long as I drink a lot of water, I won't get hungover, so it's not always doomed, but if I have 6 beers and I'm dehydrated I'll be hungover as fuck. Hydration plays a major role in hangovers, just as emotions play a major role in conflict. And just like you're more likely to have a hangover when you drink a lot, you're more likely to not stop a fight before it starts when people are emotional.

@Frank_n_Furter Fights are meant to resolve problems. A fight or argument is a solution or a cure to a problem (even though it...

Oh, I forgot about that, but can you hydrate well after being drunk and avoid a hangover?

In any case, what I'm trying to say is that the victory with the most benefit in a fight is to stop fighting. People can change their minds, and if they're strong enough to will themselves not to fight after an altercation began, that's better than beating someone up.

Or pull a gun on 'em

“The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are 0Reply

Do I sense a fellow pacifist? goo smilie

@Altoid_Freak_250 Do I sense a fellow pacifist?

Perhaps you do, but It's not me. I believe violence is okay to use to protect people and stop more violence and pain, but not otherwise.

@Watchful_questioneer Perhaps you do, but It's not me. I believe violence is okay to use to protect people and stop more violence and...

That's almost exactly what I believe. I'm not an extreme pacifist who believes that all violence and war is wrong, but I do think that it's definitely not the best way to handle things and should be avoided if possible.