+106

It sucks that my parents just told me that they can't afford to send me to my dream college. They said I'll have to go to the state university with the half of my high school that couldn't make more than a 21 on the ACT. I have a right to want more for myself, amirite?

BetterThanEzra1119s avatar Education
2 43
The voters have decided that BetterThanEzra1119 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sure you have a right to want more. You do not, however, have the right to demand that your parents pay for it. If the state school is so bad in your opinion, you are free to pay to go somewhere else.

@fuzala I hate student loans with a fiery passion

Me too. But I needed them. My parents were broke and I paid for three degrees with them. Took me 12 years to pay off the loans.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fuzala I'm hoping I never have to take those ugly loans out I'm curious about the degrees you got

You mean why am I flipping burgers for a living if I have those degrees?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc You mean why am I flipping burgers for a living if I have those degrees?

NO that's not why I asked
I didn't even know about the flipping burgers until today
I thought you owned a Burger King or something if my memory serves me correctly

I'm genuinely interested in the degrees you got

@fuzala NO that's not why I asked I didn't even know about the flipping burgers until today I thought you owned a Burger...

I have a BS in math, an MS in communications, and an MBA. I started a market research company that I sold to a national firm. Then I was director of engineering for a national phone company where I worked for 15 years. I then ran an old-folks home for 10 years. I then bought a building in the inner city and converted into a gourmet burger shop where I work alone cooking and serving healthy food to inner-city people with low incomes.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +9Reply
@VicZinc I have a BS in math, an MS in communications, and an MBA. I started a market research company that I sold to a...

WHAT?
so you don't own a Burger King?
what a let down

but seriously
WOWZA
you've done a lot

I'd also like a lifetime supply of healthy burgers

@1908302

aww
can't you offer turkey bacon or something?

that looks good though
minus the bacon of course

hey
can you tell me the name of your shop?

you don't have to say if you're worried about stranger danger though

@VicZinc I am

yeah I would be too

someone who hates me could come in and shoot me in the kidney

this one time
this old lady came into my dad's store
and my uncle was working that day
and she shot at him
he dodged it though
but the old lady didn't get caught

he got to be on the news cool smilie

Yes. It sucks. Yes. You should go for your dream. But... a lot of people go to state with higher scores than you indicate and a lot of your high school won't even be able to afford community that only state.

If you want that then you should go out there and get it, if no one's willing to help you achieve your dream you've got the option to go out there and do it yourself or let it fizzle out.

As for if you have the right to want more for yourself, of course. That's not going to really help remedy the situation. Well actually I really enjoy complaining so it might help you get over the stark reality if you're anything like me.

@BetterThanEzra1119 I'm looking at scholarships online right now.

Great job y smilie I didn't take you to be the type of person who'd just be posting this to whine and not do anything, you confirming that is heartwarming.

@Len If you want that then you should go out there and get it, if no one's willing to help you achieve your dream you've...

I just want to say that they necessarily aren't willing, they just can't afford it.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are 0Reply

Coming from someone who is 8 weeks away from graduating from a state school with an Engineering degree, Its not where you graduate from. its what you do with it once you get it. Trust me the first two years are the same whether you go to a state school or ivy league. Save money.

@Adham06 Coming from someone who is 8 weeks away from graduating from a state school with an Engineering degree, Its not...

This is so true, and I think a lot of people overlook it. However, I also believe it's worth it to go somewhere you will be happy.

my dream school was my state university
so that worked out nicely for me

not to rub it in your face or anything wary smilie

@fuzala my dream school was my state university so that worked out nicely for me not to rub it in your face or anything

I used to live in MN and I was planning on going to their state university, but I moved out of state and now the tution is over $50,000.

Student loans are a hassle but its not like you pay it off all at once. In the end it'll be worth it. Although your parents would probably want the best for you, at the end of the day, its your life, not theirs. It would be selfish to demand your parents to pay for your schooling if they cannot afford it. I have to take out well over $60k in student loans to finish my degree. And you know what, something about not being financially dependant on my parents is somewhat fulfilling. Best of luck to you. Also, any education is better than none.

On a side note, WTF, American tuition is so expensive compared to Canadian tuition.

IAMSTORMs avatar IAMSTORM Yeah You Are +1Reply

Get a job, take out a loan, do whatever except whine to your parents.

@Get a job, take out a loan, do whatever except whine to your parents.

I have a job. I have about $2,000 saved, but that's not nearly enough.

this happens with many people, even i was a victim. But if you are sincere, it doesnt matter which college you got

valentineleos avatar valentineleo Yeah You Are 0Reply

I went to my state university. I worked my ass off. My parents told me they couldn't pay for it and took all the money for themselves. I ended up homeless and lived on the streets. Now I'm working at an A&W fast food restaurant. I'm happy that at least I have something. Dude, that's fucking life.

When applying for schools, the decision ended up coming to either my dream school which had been my dream school for a while or a state school, which would have given me almost a full scholarship. I ended up going with the dream school, but the decision was so close, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to make the other choice.

The Rant of a spoiled brat who couldnt even cut it in Highschool, if you would have applied yourself and done well in class, scholarships and your grades would have got you into any college you want,

@SpidermanRun1 The Rant of a spoiled brat who couldnt even cut it in Highschool, if you would have applied yourself and done...

you could be valedictorian
with over a 4.0 GPA
and a bajillion clubs
and be President of all of them
and do countless hours of community college
and win the Nobel Peace prize
and find the cure to cancer

but you can still find yourself being rejected by your dream school

@1908366

A 21 isn't bad. It's the national average. It's just that my parents have always had high expectations for me grade wise and now it's like I have to settle.

I have a 4.0, I take honors and AP classes, I volunteer at a food shelter, I'm on the varsity winter guard,I'm a member of Pay it Forward club, and I earned a 27 on my ACT. I'm planning on taking it until I get a 30.