+123

Sometimes you wonder what was the first word spoken by a human, and how did people long ago come up with the names to name things, amirite?

BlindMists avatar Language
1 15
The voters have decided that BlindMist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The first humans, or even humanoids, may have had utterances that could be considered "words" - I always guessed they were related to warnings of danger, but I would not be surprised to find out they were related to mating rituals.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply

father and mother are the "formal" terms

but in pretty much all languages
ma and da and ba (mama, dada, baba)
is used for parents
*call their bottle "baba" in English
baba is used for father in some places
and they're easier for babies to pronounce
something like that

this relates to the post
because people want their kids to say "mama" or "dada" as their first words
turns out dada is easier to say

so fathers can no longer rub it in the mothers' face or say that the baby loves them more

and the baby is usually just babbling
and has no idea what he/she said
but seeing the parents so happy reinforces him/her to repeat the same syllable(s)
most babies like to seeing their parents happy

happiness is an instinctual emotion I believe

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fuzala father and mother are the "formal" terms but in pretty much all languages ma and da and ba (mama, dada, baba) is...

Interesting. I wonder what they be thinking. Do they think like, "Ba ba de da ma" or do they actually make words in their thoughts that they just don't know how to form into words?

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yeah You Are 0Reply
@BlindMist Interesting. I wonder what they be thinking. Do they think like, "Ba ba de da ma" or do they actually make words in...

they just string together random syllables
depending on the language
they loose certain things

like in Japanese the double r and double l
there is no differentiation (might be wrong about this)
so Hello become Herro

and think about Arabic
Pepsi become Bebsi
there is no P sound in Arabic

eventually, I think the the babies realize an order in the syllables

even a deaf baby who has deaf parents or hangs around a lot with deaf people will pick up on hand signals
and start to make recognizable signs

the deaf babies usually give up babbling with their mouth because no one really reinforces it
(the parents can't hear the cooing and whatnot)

I don't know exactly what they think
haven't gotten that far

and I don't know how far others have gotten

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala they just string together random syllables depending on the language they loose certain things like in Japanese...

Haha, suppose not. It was part question-I-was-asking-myself and part rhetorical. Perhaps we will never know hmm smilie Unless somewhere deep in the future someone invents some kind of machine that can read people's thoughts...

@BlindMist Haha, suppose not. It was part question-I-was-asking-myself and part rhetorical. Perhaps we will never know ...

developmental psychologists (and dev. scientists?)
try to guess the thoughts based on reactions

they think a baby remembers something when they get bored with a stimulus

like if you show them a toy
it's novel to them
they stare at it long
show it to them again
they get bored and won't look at it
the toy is no longer novel

if a certain time period passes (hours, days, etc)
you show that same toy again
and they get bored quickly
it's assumed that they remember this toy
or else the baby would have looked at it a long time thinking it was a novel thing

I also edited that other comment
if you wanted to see

@fuzala developmental psychologists (and dev. scientists?) try to guess the thoughts based on reactions they think a baby...

That's quite interesting. Probably more along the lines of memory and recognition, which goes along with dianectics (a set of ideas and practices regarding the metaphysical relationship between the mind and body) and engrams (a presumed encoding in neural tissue that provides a physical basis for the persistence of memory; a memory trace.)

@BlindMist That's quite interesting. Probably more along the lines of memory and recognition, which goes along with dianectics...

ohh I don't recall hearing those terms before
so it's pretty new to me

is that something you're into?

@fuzala ohh I don't recall hearing those terms before so it's pretty new to me is that something you're into?

Yeah, kind of. It's from the church of scientology but really interesting. It talks about how we have something called the reactive mind that records every single painful emotion or incident that we've felt, and the analytical mind which records every single day of our lives, and that's why some people can remember up to the day they were born. Really deep.

@BlindMist Yeah, kind of. It's from the church of scientology but really interesting. It talks about how we have something...

so is there like a method to trigger that?

because I kinda wanna remember my first few days of life on Earth

because I know babies have blurred/terrible vision and recognize their mothers through sound and smell

@fuzala so is there like a method to trigger that? because I kinda wanna remember my first few days of life on...

Yeah, there's this process called auditing to help people relieve themselves of those painful moments so the pain can no longer be a burden to them or hold them down. Some people have gotten to their last painful moment, which was birth, and actually visualized themselves being born and they actually went through it over again in their minds. I can't tell you much though, I've only watched the dvd, which was about 12 hours long (I didn't watch it 12 hours straight).

I have seen a couple of people that were considered to be "reborn." There was one man that was so happy and jocular like he didn't have a care in the world. His spirit was just so amazing.

@BlindMist Yeah, there's this process called auditing to help people relieve themselves of those painful moments so the pain...

wow

that's really interesting
I don't know if I wanna try that anymore though wary smilie

don't wanna get scarred for life
my mom told me how I had to get this huge bump on my arm lopped off

you can still see the indent
and we were in a place that doesn't have that numbing stuff (anesthesia?)
so I went through it RAW

and I don't remember this
I would gladly keep it that way