-45

Rights take away freedom, amirite?

FlotatiousTurds avatar Politics
0 20
The voters have decided that FlotatiousTurd is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But uppercuts are worse

@1909268

If you have the right to not get punched in the face that takes away my freedom to punch you in the face.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Len If you have the right to not get punched in the face that takes away my freedom to punch you in the face.

You can't have a right "not" to do something. That's the opposite of a right, that's a restriction.

I thought the OP meant that the "right" wing takes away freedoms.

@VicZinc You can't have a right "not" to do something. That's the opposite of a right, that's a restriction. I thought the...

Well it wouldn't necessarily be phrased as "the right to not whatever". It could be phrased as "the right to safety", or "the right to the opposite of whatever".

You're free to punch someone in the face, and they have the right to smack the living piss out of you. Very simple.

Yeah, but they also give freedom,and that's usually what's important.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +2Reply

Rights are the by-product of freedom. Take away one, you lose the other. However, ones rights don't end where another's freedom begins.

What about the freedom to be safe, the freedom to do what the rights are there for?

@DevonHollander Please explain to me the freedom to be safe.

Do you have the right to be safe from harm? To walk about and execute your rights? I suppose I should have, there, said "right" instead if "freedom." So basically I agree that rights take away freedoms, but I strongly disagree with the implication that this is a bad thing.

Although, are you really, truly free if you don't have the right to safety?

@Wunderscore Did I say they were the same thing? No.

Well you're saying the freedom to be safe. You're saying you have a freedom to have less freedom because that is essentially what safety is.

@DevonHollander Well you're saying the freedom to be safe. You're saying you have a freedom to have less freedom because that is...

I corrected that earlier when I said that it would have been more appropriate if I would have said right instead of freedom. No, I'm saying that if you aren't safe you're not really free because of how influential the dangers are on your decisions. If you're not safe, instincts will drive some of your decisions, resulting in a lack of freedom of choice.

Technically yeah. The right to free speech stops people form legaly forcing you to shut up and go away. It''s like a restriction to other people, rather than the person with the right. But since everyone has rights, everyone is part of 'other people' so everyone is limited by rights.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply

Freedom removes the relevance of right/wrong.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Do you mean like if I said I have the right to not have my opinion challenged? If so, than yes this can often be the case. Often, but not always.

Without rights you would have no freedom. You just said something takes away the exact thing it specifically gives.