-32

Belief in luck is as equally primitive as belief in ghosts and gods. There is no such thing as luck or fortune; there are only decisions and outcomes. Amirite?

tyrannyvigilants avatar Life
1 45
The voters have decided that tyrannyvigilant is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Yes and no. I think if I flip a coin 5 times in a row to heads it is luck. Dumb luck, based on probability/chance/statistics. But I still call it "luck." I don't see it the same ways as I see the belief in gods. I see it as a name for unusual circumstances that /just happen// that way. Right-place-at-the-right-time kind of "luck".

VicZincs avatar VicZinc No Way +10Reply
@VicZinc Yes and no. I think if I flip a coin 5 times in a row to heads it is luck. Dumb luck, based on...

Hmmm... I see what you're getting at. But, whether we're aware of it or not, there's always an explanation. Always some logic or circumstances or series of events that lead up to the seemingly inexplicable event that causes some to refer to it as "luck".

tyrannyvigilants avatar tyrannyvigilant Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter Exactly. To me, luck doesn't have to be super natural.

No offense intended but, what it is to you doesn't really matter. Luck is in and of itself supernatural. It is a mysterious inexplicable force. And it is used by those who can't connect the dots of cause and effect.

@tyrannyvigilant No offense intended but, what it is to you doesn't really matter. Luck is in and of itself supernatural. It is a...

The actual definition of luck is "Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions" and "Chance to find or acquire: 'he lucked into a disc-jockey job'". There is nothing about supernatural in the definition- Sorry man, you can't just make up your own definitions, say you believe in them and expect people to take you seriously. Also, I recommend actually looking up the definitions of words before you go tell people to not make up definitions.

@Frank_n_Furter The actual definition of luck is "Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own...

Your understanding is wrong. But, that's your perception and I'm not going to change it as your perception is your reality.

@tyrannyvigilant Your understanding is wrong. But, that's your perception and I'm not going to change it as your perception is your...

That's from a dictionary, your understanding is wrong- you made up your own definition then accused other people of doing that when they used the official definition. And your perception isn't reality, so quit telling people their perception is wrong.

I am guessing the concern here is with the use of the word "luck."

I am agreeing with the NW crowd because I follow the "book" definition of luck as "happy circumstance"

but I also guess you are referring to "lucky charms" like: having a rabbits foot or crossing your fingers or rubbing a baby's head "for luck".

IF that's what you mean by "luck" then I agree with you that is just primitive nonsense.

@VicZinc I am guessing the concern here is with the use of the word "luck." I am agreeing with the NW crowd because I...

Primitive nonsense?!? Me and my cursed monkey palm beg to differ! Don't you know that rabbits feet are infused with quantum particles that make chance circumstances repeat in the same manner at a higher frequency, I thought that was common knowledge.

@shelbme That literal definition of luck is just what it is to you; who's to say that doesn't matter?

I'm really not sure what to say to that... do you intend to write that you're free to make up your own definitions of words and then propose that others should be tolerant of such... absurdity?

What I write about this word matters because it's a predefined word. It's already got a definition.

Sorry man, you can't just make up your own definitions, say you believe in them and expect people to take you seriously.

tyrannyvigilants avatar tyrannyvigilant Yeah You Are -1Reply
@tyrannyvigilant I'm really not sure what to say to that... do you intend to write that you're free to make up your own definitions...

Luck: good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance.
chance, is essentially the same word as, luck. Science has loads and loads and loads of chance in it. Even if something is predictable there is always a chance that something will go wrong,i.e. unlucky.

@Qeez Luck: good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance. chance, is essentially the same word...

Chance defined as, “there's a chance that something could go wrong” is not the same as, “we'll be lucky if nothing goes wrong”.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Better preparations could have been made. One can see what could have prevented something from going wrong after the fact. That these realizations come after does not change the fact that they were preventable. It is not luck that “causes” something to go wrong.

There are the unknowables but, once we know them we can prevent them in the future.

Would you propose that a scientist who made the decision to significantly reinforce a container before igniting a combustible material of unknowable strength thereby preventing a catastrophe got “lucky” or, made a wise decision in an unknowable situation?

@tyrannyvigilant Chance defined as, “there's a chance that something could go wrong” is not the same as, “we'll be lucky if...

This is pointless. Luck is when circumstance works in one's favor, when a person does not know, or has no way of knowing whether it will or not. That is still luck, even if physics and a knowledge of the entire universe can show why it turned out so.

If a person guesses on a multiple choice test and gets every question right, that is luck, even if it's completely explainable and understandable.

Luck is not defined as a supernatural force that causes circumstance to work in one's favor, it is simply the term given to scenarios in which it coincidentally does.

@Watchful_questioneer This is pointless. Luck is when circumstance works in one's favor, when a person does not know, or has no way of...

And watchful questioneer bitch slaps OP with an open handed palm of logic. Looks like OP didn't quite have an idea what he was talking about, but he sure sounded like a cocky ass

You say that as if your perception is a universal reality, which seems quite self-absorbed.

Am I correct to understand that you believe the definition of luck is a force that causes circumstance to work in your favor? Because google does not define it as such, and I'd love to see the dictionary you're using. That's what I love about language. Every word is defined, so there's very little grey area.

@Watchful_questioneer You say that as if your perception is a universal reality, which seems quite self-absorbed. Am I correct...

I respect your perspective and your candour combined with your acknowledgment of our douche friend is appreciated.

I'm at that point in my online "blogging/debating/posting" experience that I rarely have the attention span required to engage in more than a few lines of debate.

My perspective on this may be wrong and I challenge my perspectives daily. And, you've nailed a truth about me; like most people who write or speak with confidence I can have a tendency to come across as being egotistical which may or may not be intentional as again we're usually self-aware.

And with this, I'm aware that I'm babbling so, until our next engagement...

@tyrannyvigilant I respect your perspective and your candour combined with your acknowledgment of our douche friend is appreciated...

I admit I too was somewhat condescending about this matter, and I appreciate that you admit something you did wrong (it's not often you see that on the internet).

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."

That's pretty much my philosophy on it.

“Luck is a word the bitter teach to the ignorant.” -Steve Maraboli

I'm still going to use it to describe an event that happened but was unlikely. But I hate when people (or the bitter) look at the success of another person and say, "well, they're just lucky." My 9th grade social studies teacher gave us the perfect quote about luck but for the life of me I just can't think of it. The one above will have to do.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +2Reply
@StickCaveman “Luck is a word the bitter teach to the ignorant.” -Steve Maraboli I'm still going to use it to describe an...

I think that's an instance of the word simply being abused. If someone won the lottery, that was luck (and if not, then what else was it?), but if someone truly worked hard and embraced inevitably opportunity, it was not.

That, and coincidence.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I must write that I'm surprised at your disagreement Vic...

@1913788

Good point on karma. I (sort of) believe in collective human consciousness, or at least that consciousness is poorly understood and that it has the potential to be something much more powerful than we imagine. Not like ESP or anything. I think about how individual ants on their own are not much, but collectively the ant hill itself behaves much more like and higher level organism than does the individual ant.

Someone once asked if thought was more like the steam coming from a tea-kettle; the wet-brain acting as a kettle of water on the stove using fuel to convert the impulses into thoughts. Or is it more like a radio, not producing anything on its own but simply channeling some (karmic) life force that is poorly understood. I don't know.

I don't like the use of the word "primitive" in this. I don't understand how believing in luck can really be compared to believing in God or a god. People believe in luck because they have no in-depth understanding of what's behind the things that happen. I, for one, believe in God for completely different reasons. Why would that be primitive?

@Fanatic I don't like the use of the word "primitive" in this. I don't understand how believing in luck can really be...

You believe in God cause you have no in-depth understanding of the world too. That's how they are both equally primative. We've seen why you claim to believe in God for diffferent reasons, but its still the same in the end.

@You believe in God cause you have no in-depth understanding of the world too. That's how they are both equally...

Please tell me all the reasons why I believe in God. I'm dying to hear it, because its not because I don't have an in-depth understanding of the world

@Fanatic Please tell me all the reasons why I believe in God. I'm dying to hear it, because its not because I don't have an...

If you were actually dying I still wouldn't list them. There are about 20 pages of Amirite filled with them. Amirite already has enough of your nonsense. It is because you don't have an in-depth understadnding of the world (that's really the only reason needed).

@If you were actually dying I still wouldn't list them. There are about 20 pages of Amirite filled with them...

Funny because I've never seen anything on amirite that tells me why I believe what I believe. My faith is personal and no one will ever know why I have it except for me.

@I think they meant your posts specifically. You post a lot about your faith.

That's because my faith is a big part of my life. I don't see a problem with posting about it a lot

@Fanatic That's because my faith is a big part of my life. I don't see a problem with posting about it a lot

I never said it was a problem. I'm saying you said "Funny because I've never seen anything on amirite that tells me why I believe what I believe." They didn't say amirite tells you your religious beliefs and that's how they know your beliefs, they said you tell amirite your religious beliefs and that's how they know what you believe.

you play blackjack?