+43

You don't quite understand how people manage to fail at committing suicide so often, amirite?

Mike_Hawks avatar Life
0 24
The voters have decided that Mike_Hawk is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I assume most suicide fails were by people who wanted attention rather than death (and I'm not passing judgement on that).

@PhilboydStudge I assume most suicide fails were by people who wanted attention rather than death (and I'm not passing judgement on...

I thought about it, and this still makes the most sense. That and suicides tend to be a spur of the moment thing. I will still say I don't understand how someone who determined to end their life can't do it. I'm talking about people who have attempted suicide multiple times and still don't want to live.

The post was inspired by one of my friends on Facebook. I made a status about possibly experimenting recreationally experimenting with sleeping pills. She said that would land me in the hospital and told me about how she attempted suicide that way. I said I was glad that didn't kill her, but she said she wasn't. She's been in and out of the hospital multiple times in the very short amount of time I've known her, and is clearly not happy. I'm just wondering how people can be determined to kill themselves in the long term, and fail multiple times. Maybe it's just my knowledge of biology and physics, but I'd be able to kill myself with almost 100% efficiency at virtually any point of my day.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +2Reply

I always think that, if someone really wanted to kill him or herself, they would do something basically foolproof, like taking a really potent poison or shooting him or herself in the brain.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Wunderscore I always think that, if someone really wanted to kill him or herself, they would do something basically foolproof...

I don't think too many people have a gun at the ready to do it, or know where to get one.

@ItsATrap I don't think too many people have a gun at the ready to do it, or know where to get one.

What about carbon monoxide? I don't think hat suicide is the best answer, but I see it in sort of a "if there's a will there's a way" light.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Wunderscore What about carbon monoxide? I don't think hat suicide is the best answer, but I see it in sort of a "if there's a...

The only thing I can think of for that is a car in a garage. As I see it, if it didn't work and they really meant it, sometimes what the person did wasn't enough, they don't have the resources I suppose? or it just didn't work out as planned, like someone walking in or being found or something.

@ItsATrap The only thing I can think of for that is a car in a garage. As I see it, if it didn't work and they really meant...

Are you serious? You're arguing how many ways there are for the common man to kill himself?

Hmm, shall I count ye the ways?

Kitchen knife to the throat. Jump off a tall penis structure thing. Tie something heavy to your leg and jump into deep water. Drive your car into water. Jump in front of a train/car/something. Live....

@KickAss Are you serious? You're arguing how many ways there are for the common man to kill himself? Hmm, shall I count ye...

I wasn't arguing how many ways there are to do it. I was trying to say that sometimes it doesn't work as the person planned.

@ItsATrap I wasn't arguing how many ways there are to do it. I was trying to say that sometimes it doesn't work as the person...

There are plenty of accessible, almost guaranteed ways to kill yourself though. Jumping in front of a train, as KickAss mentioned, would be a good one.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but didn't your first comment say, pretty much exactly, that there are fewer ways for the "common man" to kill himself? What I've been saying, though, is that there are ways which are basically guaranteed to kill you, and not go wrong, such as shooting yourself in the head and taking a potent poison.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +1Reply

very interesting fact about suicide: there are about 4 male deaths by suicide for each female death by suicide. But keep in mind that there are about 3 female attempts for every male attempt.

found this on a very informative website that tells you all kinds of statistics on suicide: http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.html

@helloandgoodbye very interesting fact about suicide: there are about 4 male deaths by suicide for each female death by suicide. But...

That is because men are more likely to choose a violent form of suicide (gun, cutting, hanging, etc) than women, who often try pills. Because of this, it is easier for women to be saved than men.

If they fail it means they didn't want it bad enough

Sometimes they didn't really want to do it, but usually it's because their survival instinct kicked in (which everyone has even if they're suicidal). If you take pills then your body can reject them and just vomit them out, you might unconsciously grab onto something during a fall, etc. There's also poor planning (being found before the job's done because you didn't magically know how long it takes you to die), and lack of opportunity/skills (nowhere to get the potent stuff, nowhere to get a gun, really poor at tying a noose). Really, this is just off the top of my head. It can happen.

Also, certain Japanese figures are infamous for their multiple suicide attempt failures because they wanted seppuku.

And then there's attention whores. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai is my favourite. Really. Look at those suicide attempts. They're ridiculous.

This comment was deleted.
@1915399

And you wonder why people kill themselves? Maybe people calling them fucking losers is what drives them over the edge. And you don't even dare to say something like this unless you post as Anonymous?

I voted no because if someone wanted to die, they would. If you "try" to kill yourself and fail, you don't really want to die. For example, I was suicidal at a time in my life and I found a cliff that would most certainly kill me if I jumped. I didn't, obviously, but there's so many ways to die that it's ridiculous that someone couldn't think of one sure fire way.

@TylerMayhemDurden I voted no because if someone wanted to die, they would. If you "try" to kill yourself and fail, you don't really...

But you can't really say you tried killing yourself. I am constantly suicidal and have several sure-fire methods that I don't even have to leave my room to use.

In a way, your comment lines up with the post. If you wanted to die, you could have. You also find it ridiculous that someone who wanted to die wouldn't be able to. I know several people who have actually went through with multiple suicide attempts and failed. Every time someone tells me about their attempted suicide, I have to fight back the urge to ask them how they fucked it up.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Mike_Hawk But you can't really say you tried killing yourself. I am constantly suicidal and have several sure-fire methods...

Yeah that was sort of my point, if I did want to kill myself I'd be dead. And I used to know people who attempt and fail suicide and it also irritates me. It makes me feel like it's an attention thing even if they just couldn't go through with it

I always think about this. In a way, it's kind of scary how easy it is to end your life, and to think that some people have actually tried to multiple times but couldn't is just suspicious. Then again, I like to think that everyone has a purpose in life. Maybe God (or fate or whatever you call it) just steps in the way because it's not their time and they still have great things ahead of them.

Fanatics avatar Fanatic Yeah You Are -1Reply

..or they dont do enought drugs..or they do too much of them :P

CombatSkills avatar CombatSkill Yeah You Are -2Reply

I wanted to die. Took a variety of pills and some alcohol. My parents found me before it was too late.