+158

Isnt it weird that you can sleep walk up and down stairs or go in the kitchen and open the fridge totally unconscious. But if you tried to walk ten feet with your eyes closed youd trip over a shoe and break your neck. Amirite?

The_Allie_katts avatar Life
6 14
The voters have decided that The_Allie_katt is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My sister once went to the kitchen while she was sleep walking and emptied a can of gingerale and poured milk in it and started to drink it, which was weird at the time because she was allergic to milk.

@The_Allie_katt Haha that's horrible!

It was kinda funny. The thought of gingerale milk seems really gross.

@ItsATrap It was kinda funny. The thought of gingerale milk seems really gross.

Milk mixed with anything (other than cookies and chocolate syrup) is gross.

The_Allie_katts avatar The_Allie_katt Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ItsATrap True. I actually just can't stand milk at all.

I too always hated milk. To get me to drink it my dad would mix it with grape soda. He called it "purple cow" and I remember it being very good. That was a very long time ago, but there you go with a mixture of milk that is ok.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc I too always hated milk. To get me to drink it my dad would mix it with grape soda. He called it "purple cow" and...

The only times I can remember drinking milk as a kid was just before I'd go to bed I would always have a glass with cookies. And chocolate milk, but it had to be from a certain place, and still does.

Once at my gran's house I sleepwalked into the kitchen, and took out a knife. My gran said she asked me what was I doing and I said, "Cooking eggs."

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yeah You Are +1Reply

When you're asleep, you cerebellum is the main controlling force. When you;re awake, your cerebrum is constantly telling you that you're not getting information from the environment. Your cerebellum simply takes the old information, and probably remembers there was a shoe there while your cerebrum is preoccupied with being blind.

@personThingy There's a difference between "weird" and "scientifically inexplicable."

Is there? Or is it just not obvious? Once you explain something with science, it becomes perfectly normal. It's only weird because you didn't know what was really happening, and you only didn't know because it wasn't obvious.

Sleeping is not just having your eyes closed. It's also the activation of a part of your brain, so sleep is actually a more movement-in-a-familiar-environment-friendly state than being awake with your eyes closed, thus making it perfectly normal for it to be easier to move around while asleep than just with your eyes closed.

It's like saying "Isn't it weird that it's easier (% of strength used wise) to push open a door with your foot than with your hands when you do it so much more with your hands?" You leg muscles are way stronger than your arm muscles, so a foot push uses up less of your muscular capacity than a hand push. OP simply brings up an obvious point in his favour, but if you look deeper you find a stronger but less obvious point.