+67

Marriage: a union between people, called spouses, that establishes rights and obligations. Nobody is saying anything about the gender of the spouses, or about their numbers. What’s the big deal if two girls want to marry a guy, or three guys want to marry a girl, or six guys want to marry each other, who cares? Why is this even a point of contention? Amirite?

VicZincs avatar Politics
3 10
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The issue is that some religions define marriage as an institution between a man and a woman. These religions are not necessarily against a partnership between two males or two females or whatever, but they simply want marriage to remain as a thing between man and woman. Then you add the opinions of people intolerant of any homosexual behavior who happen to be Christian and you've got a situation where it's easy for people to generalize and make assumptions as Christianity as a whole.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1918064

I know, right? That's why I'm personally for separating marriage completely from the state. If you want to make a legal contract between yourself and a loved one, then you should of course still be able to do so no matter how many people or what their gender is. Then these little Christian groups who think marriage is just between man and woman can keep their definition and other groups who see marriage as anything can keep theirs.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@StickCaveman The issue is that some religions define marriage as an institution between a man and a woman. These religions are...

True enough, but the bible certainly allows multiple partners to be married. Why do most modern states think it is so awful to have three or more people in one marriage?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc True enough, but the bible certainly allows multiple partners to be married. Why do most modern states think it is...

Yeah, I just know what my cousin, who is probably the most devout Catholic in my family tells me about his point of view.

I'm not really sure why the state is against it. The only logic I can see behind it is that they're afraid two or more friends will be like, "hey.. we don't really love each other in a married kind of way but since the state allows us to have tax benefits if we're married, let's do it." In that case, adjust the stupid little tax breaks or whatever (or get rid of them) but maintain the partnership/marriage agreements so that if a loved one dies, they're still entitled to the possessions of their spouse(s).

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +3Reply

I'm not disagreeing that anyone should be allowed to marry whoever they want, but in Australia part of the legal definition of marriage is "between a man and a woman, to the exclusion of all others." However religion is supposed to be completely separate from the state so I don't really understand why we haven't legalised gay marriage here yet.

I say if everyone involved in the marriage is happy and approves, they can marry whoever and however many they like.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think people couldn't imagine it working out if they did it, and by extension conclude that it's not worth letting others try because the marriage would become less personal and perhaps affect the children raised in it. I think that this becomes true at a certain point (imagine 100 people interlocked in marriage- could a child really be raised together by all of them and have a close relationship with them all? How about 1000 people?), but with smaller numbers of people I think it could work and we shouldn't forbid people from trying because it's too complicated for us personally