+13

If you give up your means of protection because someone gave you a false sense of security, you're probably not even thinking about how vulnerable you are (or else you wouldn't have given them up in the first place) and how that someone might turn around and kill you. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Politics
2 8
The voters have decided that fuzala is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

(remake)

(classic)

I know George meant well
but I hated that he killed Lennie

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fuzala (remake) (classic) I know...

It was right; they could never achieve their dream, and Lennie was dangerous

@Watchful_questioneer It was right; they could never achieve their dream, and Lennie was dangerous

sure he was dangerous
still didn't need to kill him

I would have George prosecuted
it wasn't his place to do what he did

despite everything
Lennie was like an innocent and happy kid
who didn't know his own strength

there are plenty like him
who deserve to live

and it's okay that they're dreams stayed dreams
Lennie was happy enough with just the idea

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala sure he was dangerous still didn't need to kill him I would have George prosecuted it wasn't his place to do...

If the same thing were to happen in real life, I'd agree with you, but in the book, it's implied that his problem was getting worse, and that he couldn't know his own strength. George would be in poverty as long as they were friends, and as long as Lennie was alive, he'd be dangerous. In a book, there are certain things that can be assumed, such as the fact that Lennie would not suddenly change to stop being dangerous, or that they'd find a way to suddenly get money unless it was suggested in some way. In real life, there are more possibilities and there aren't any "out of bounds" areas, and there is a wider world of more living options. But in the book, they were constantly in poverty and moving around because Lennie had committed a serious violation, and it worsened each time. It's implied that it would continue to do so. He would always be a danger, and George would never rise out of poverty.

@Watchful_questioneer If the same thing were to happen in real life, I'd agree with you, but in the book, it's implied that his problem...

we'll have to agree to disagree here then

only way I could justify the killing of someone who is not sane is accidental
such as self defense

I see killing as a punishment
the insane cannot be held responsible for their actions generally

@fuzala we'll have to agree to disagree here then only way I could justify the killing of someone who is not sane is...

I don't think of it as punishment when done like this. And don't you think he would have killed people himself? Wouldn't it be even worse to allow that indefinitely?

@Watchful_questioneer I don't think of it as punishment when done like this. And don't you think he would have killed people himself?...

He killed one lady
that was the first one

he didn't have the intention to kill her
and I think with proper warnings and training
he would've been alright

it's common sense you don't stay alone with a big, burly stranger

now I'm not saying Curly's wife deserved to die
but she wanted trouble
she loved it
sadly, she ended up with the kind of trouble she didn't want
she spooked him
and he was trying to keep her quiet

Lennie didn't kill George all those years
George knew how to work with him

and Lennie is constantly misunderstood
like when he liked touching a dress and was mistakenly accused of rape
the girl in the red dress was spooked
and it looked really bad since he tore her dress

these kinds of situations escalate for many
not just for those like Lennie

I also don't think George killed Lennie because he was a burden

I think he killed him to "save him" from the pitchforks

still don't agree with it though
still don't think it was his place

they used to lock up the insane and treat them like criminals
and I feel like that's what happened to Lennie
it was a step back from progress

@fuzala He killed one lady that was the first one he didn't have the intention to kill her and I think with proper...

I don't think there was any way to make Lennie a safe person. He isn't in full control of himself, and it's impossible for George to always be there for him. He would have found worse trouble; there was no way for him to be rehabilitated from his mental state. If there were a safe institution for him to seek solace in, that would have been a better option, but there was not, and in the outside world he, in my opinion, would always be a danger to people.