+63

A girl can wear black nail polish without being "goth" or "emo", amirite?

_thegirlonfire_s avatar People & Celebrities
1 12
The voters have decided that _thegirlonfire_ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Probably, but not likely. Once a group starts and is identified with or by certain characteristics, it is extremely hard for anyone to do those things and not be associated with said group. I am not saying it is right or that I agree with it - just saying the way things are and work in our world.

@freespeechfreelancer Probably, but not likely. Once a group starts and is identified with or by certain characteristics, it is extremely...

I disagree in the case of black nail polish. The goth and emo look has a lot more to it than the nail polish. Many people I know (including myself) wear black nail polish, and because the way that they dress and behave doesn't fit into the "goth" or "emo" stereotype, nobody ever assumes that they are a part of those groups.

I agree in a general sense though. I just had to speak up for black nail polish smile smilie

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are +1Reply
@rilara I disagree in the case of black nail polish. The goth and emo look has a lot more to it than the nail polish. Many...

So you are saying it is totally commonplace for many or even most people to wear black nail polish? Must be a fairly new trend that I missed. I see people in public every single day, and look them over carefully. I can not recall ever seeing black nail polish unless on someone I would have identified as goth or emo. Yes, the hair, the leather, the studs, the chains, the boots - I got it. You have heard of copycat or wanna be types - right? Those are usually the youth whose parents would not allow them to go all the way with the full look and lifestyle, so they pick and choose one or two items from the group they want to be like so they will appear "cool."

@freespeechfreelancer So you are saying it is totally commonplace for many or even most people to wear black nail polish? Must be a...

I wouldn't say it was extremely commonplace, but if I saw black nail polish on a girl not in traditionally goth clothing I wouldn't even be a little surprised or shocked by it. As I said, I know a lot of people who wear black nail polish, but I also live in a college town. The people that I see every day aren't an accurate sample of a normal city, since I know mostly 18-22 year olds.

I think that my original comment made it sound like everyone wears black nail polish, and that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to explain that it really isn't a groundbreaking fashion statement anymore.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are 0Reply
@rilara I wouldn't say it was extremely commonplace, but if I saw black nail polish on a girl not in traditionally goth...

And if you will look at my original comment (the first one in this thread), you will see that I fully believe you can "probably" wear black nail polish without being labeled a goth or emo, but it isn't "likely" by most people. We humans have this nasty little habit called "association" - and we tend to fit things in groupings and classifications. We are forever trying to decide and determine where something fits and needs to be placed. It is in our DNA. Sorting, identifying, labeling, organizing, categorizing - all things we do instinctively and by design.
Black nail polish has never been a typical or standard color of use by any mainstream group of women (or men). Certain groups of people pick the most unusual and absurd looks or practices to make statements and to get attention. Black polish will do it every time.

I know some Christian girls who cover their hair
and most assume they are Muslim

so just because a certain idea is prominent in one group
does not mean other groups can't share the same idea

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1948300

LOL....they think 'cuz we are old, we were never young or that we have not kept up with things around us.

@1948579

You can have and keep them. I never got in to that sound or scene. I understand the rage behind the music, but since I listen to music for entertainment and relief (rather than release), I could never take songs that scream at me in that deep throaty voice of doom and death! If I listen to 10 minutes of alternative or death metal, I want to go hurt someone - and that is not a good thing for me.
Also, the whole notion of mosh pits and people slamming and slugging each other just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can think of numerous ways to release stress and aggression without going that route.
Hope you enjoy it.

It's my favorite nail polish. I hate bright colors and shit.

JohnJillkys avatar JohnJillky Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yeah, metal fans also dress in black.

raintrails avatar raintrail Yeah You Are 0Reply