+38

Religious people: if an intelligent alien race were to be discovered you would wonder if they have their own version of a messiah/prophet and if they have souls. Amirite?

PopsicleSticks avatar Religion
0 53
The voters have decided that PopsicleStick is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You don't have to be religious to wonder.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Skr3wBall You don't have to be religious to wonder.

I guess.

Just to be clear I meant an alien version of a messiah/prophet from the same god they believe in.

I think they would have the same God that we have, and the same prophets, but I kind of hope that they wouldn't need a Messiah.

@I think they would have the same God that we have, and the same prophets, but I kind of hope that they wouldn't...

How would they have the same prophets? Are you like saying a human prophet transporting to an alien world to share the message of God?

Why do you hope that?

@PopsicleStick How would they have the same prophets? Are you like saying a human prophet transporting to an alien world to share...

Not a human prophet to the alien world, but God (or Jesus or who ever He sends) in alien form in the alien world.

I hope they don't need a Messiah because it means they fucked up and need to be saved. Needing to be saved is not fun.

@Not a human prophet to the alien world, but God (or Jesus or who ever He sends) in alien form in the alien...

The chance that we would find an alien race that worshipped the same concept of a divine being as many humans do is quite remote.

What if their entire society was centered around more material things, or the religious ones were the minority?

Also, if their religion was anything like any modern one, then their entire theory of creation would have left out the creation of a whole other living planet.

@speckleasme The chance that we would find an alien race that worshipped the same concept of a divine being as many humans do is...

There's a very good chance that they do

all they'd have to do is believe in the One that created them

if they agree that One created the entire universe(s)
it's not that hard to see

The Creator of everything literally takes into account everything

@fuzala There's a very good chance that they do all they'd have to do is believe in the One that created them if they...

But think about all the factors that contributed to humanity's current belief systems and cultures. The chance that those factors would be the same on an entirely different planet that had absolutely no contact with us is extremely small.

it's far more likely that their species would have evolved past the point of needing religion, and starting trying to explain the universe through careful analysis of their surroundings, accepting nothing as fact until it is proven.

@speckleasme But think about all the factors that contributed to humanity's current belief systems and cultures. The chance that...

I'm not talking about belief systems and cultures

I'm merely talking about the existence of the Creator of everything

@fuzala I'm not talking about belief systems and cultures I'm merely talking about the existence of the Creator of everything

So am I. I'm also saying that the abrahamic "revelation" of the one true creator was based upon centuries of specific environmental and cultural circumstances.

The three monotheisms didn't simply "realize" the truth. Certain circumstances in the past lead to people making those assertions.

@speckleasme So am I. I'm also saying that the abrahamic "revelation" of the one true creator was based upon centuries of...

the 3 monotheistic religions aren't the only ones that have the Creator

there's more

forget Abrahamic for now
these aliens probably don't even know of Abraham

this is about the Creator
it makes sense for the Creator to be universal

it makes sense for another race to think "the Creator created us"

Abraham is human like us
so it wouldn't be shocking if an intelligent race had no clue about him

If an alien race acknowledged a Creator
it would not be shocking at all to me

it's not hard to think
"hmm, we were created by One"

@fuzala the 3 monotheistic religions aren't the only ones that have the Creator there's more forget Abrahamic for now...

But the only reason that some of us think that is a series of environmental and cultural circumstances that led to the first people declaring that there was only one god.

What if those people never moved passed a polytheistic religion? What if they've moved beyond religion because they found a good alternate explanation that all of them are willing to believe?

@speckleasme But the only reason that some of us think that is a series of environmental and cultural circumstances that led to...

it's not some of us who think such
it's the majority of us

and polytheists still believe in the Creator

if they exist
I don't know what they think

I just said that it makes sense if they acknowledge the Creator of everything

no matter how much you know
we (the creations) have to be created

http://amirite.com/773274-they-...t-what/1944701

@fuzala it's not some of us who think such it's the majority of us and polytheists still believe in the Creator if they...

Of course we were "created', though I'm not sure if I would use that word. We were created by the process of evolution, so if you want to worship that, go right ahead.

@speckleasme Of course we were "created', though I'm not sure if I would use that word. We were created by the process of...

evolution = origin of species
evolution =/= origin of life

did you not see the image in the link I put in the previous comment?

these aliens obviously are not from Earth
and if they are
that's another story

I'm not gonna worship evolution
no need to be condescending about it

my mom gave birth to me
that doesn't mean I worship her

@fuzala evolution = origin of species evolution =/= origin of life did you not see the image in the link I put in the...

Honestly, I think it's kind of arrogant to believe that your religion is universal knowledge, and that a random alien species would share your beliefs.

And yes, I've seen that image before, and while the person who made it clearly has no idea what they're talking about, thats the general gist of it.

@speckleasme Honestly, I think it's kind of arrogant to believe that your religion is universal knowledge, and that a random...

when did I say Islam is universal outside of the Earth?

how many times do I have to say I'm not talking about cultural values or our environment

I'm not talking about Abrahamic religions
I'm not talking about anything else

I'm talking about the acknowledgement of a Creator

AND I did not say that these aliens believe in the Creator FOR SURE

I'm not the arrogant one here
telling me to go ahead and worship evolution if I want

@fuzala when did I say Islam is universal outside of the Earth? how many times do I have to say I'm not talking about...

First of all, I said "worship evolution IF YOU WANT".

By saying that you wouldn't be surprised if an alien species shared your beliefs implies that you think it is likely. You thinking that it's likely implies that you think your belief system could be shared in other parts of the universe. I suppose thats not exactly "universal", but its pretty darn close.

@speckleasme First of all, I said "worship evolution IF YOU WANT". By saying that you wouldn't be surprised if an alien...

David, don't deny you were being condescending
when you said that

and how in the world is that arrogant?
to say that I have something in common with another intelligent race

by that logic
it's arrogant if you to think that it's likely that they don't acknowledge the Creator

and it's not BELIEFS
it's one belief about believing in the existence of God

I said that it make sense to me
I'm not talking about the multiple beliefs I hold

@fuzala David, don't deny you were being condescending when you said that and how in the world is that arrogant? to say...

It's arrogant because you're not acknowledging how extremely remote the possibility is that an alien species would believe in your creator.

You can't talk about this subject without considering the vast cultural and environmental conditions that led to our society today.

Think about all the different religions and gods that have existed on our planet alone. Many of them have fairly little in common, and what they did have in common they strived to ignore, as they didn't want to be akin to a false religion. Now that you've thought about those civilizations, picture another planet with a whole new set of environmental and cultural conditions. Many new civilizations emerge with varying beliefs. you probably share no religious beliefs with ANY of the cultures that have ever existed on that planet. Even if you share your beliefs (sorry, belief) with just one of those cultures, what are the odds that THAT culture was the one to achieve spaceflight?

@speckleasme It's arrogant because you're not acknowledging how extremely remote the possibility is that an alien species would...

actually
you're wrong
religions have a fair amount of things in common

creatures in another plant can have this thing in common with me because again
it's not hard to think
"Hmm, we were created by the Creator"
their morality may be completely different
but this could be the one thing we have in common

it seems like a pretty common thing to believe in

this from my point of view

you obviously have another point of view that influences what you think to be possible

you have also been influenced by Earth's culture
as I have

let's just end it at that

@fuzala actually you're wrong religions have a fair amount of things in common creatures in another plant can have this...

Well it's becoming increasingly less common on this planet.

Also, that's an earthcentered view. You're still not getting my point. This is a completely different planet, we have no idea what is different there, or how the species would have evolved.

I'm making this up of course, but what if their brain was shaped in such a way that religion wasn't a part of their culture. What if they don't even have brains. What if they were able to evolve in such a way that they developed a new organ that served as a brain substitute. Getting down to the very basics, we are carbon based life forms. this is because carbon can form 4 bonds with other atoms. Another atom that can do this is silicon. it has been theorized that there could be silicon based ecosystems. What if these creatures were silicon based? What would that mean?

I got really off topic there, but my point is there are so many possibilities, so many things that could be different, it is impossible to make any kind of prediction about their culture with any form of accuracy.

@speckleasme Well it's becoming increasingly less common on this planet. Also, that's an earthcentered view. You're still not...

exactly
I don't know much about them
and neither do you

your view is earth centered too

I believe that a belief in the Creator is something we're born doing

so it makes sense for me to think that of another race

in my point of view
animals worship God

this is all in my view

now that I think about it again

I think that they may have a similar break up that we have

with there being atheists, agnostics, and other kinds of people

atheists have always existed David
some were open about it
and some weren't

but I don't think atheism is rising all that much
I think it's still in proportion with the population of Earth

we have more people than we used
so it makes sense that there are more atheists

@fuzala exactly I don't know much about them and neither do you your view is earth centered too I believe that a belief...

Well I agree that there have always been atheists, however, if some weren't open about it, then we don't know if they were atheists or not. I do believe that there were some that stayed hidden, but I also think that the proportion of atheists to population is growing. Even if it's not, our culture is becoming more agnostic, as is our government compared to those of the past.

Also, I never really thought about god until I actively started not believing in it. So I was definitely not born believing in god.

My belief is that it is highly improbable that an alien species would believe in one god the way that you do. I don't find that earthcentered whatsoever, or were you talking about a different thing that I said?

@speckleasme Well I agree that there have always been atheists, however, if some weren't open about it, then we don't know if...

you don't even remember what happened in your infancy
so you can't even say that definitely

I think animals worship God

I think the sun worships God

it's earth-centered because your belief is influenced simply by living on Earth

@fuzala you don't even remember what happened in your infancy so you can't even say that definitely I think animals...

I'm interested as to why you think that these other creatures and things worship god. They certainly don't do it in the way that you do. Unless you are just referring to existing and being its creations.

say this intelligent alien race believed in God

do you think that would change the perspective of humans?

@fuzala say this intelligent alien race believed in God do you think that would change the perspective of humans?

If they were a lot more advance and more intelligent than us, probably. It would definitely be interesting.

I natural think that anything has a soul.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu No Way 0Reply
@Ryuu I natural think that anything has a soul.

do you say the same for inanimate objects?

@fuzala do you say the same for inanimate objects?

Yes. I also think they have personalities.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu No Way 0Reply
@Ryuu Yes. I also think they have personalities.

and when they transform

for example
when wood gets carved
does personality change with it?

@fuzala and when they transform for example when wood gets carved does personality change with it?

The wood's personalty wound do a U turn. But everyone's personalty changes over time. So it would change naturally.

However, in the example of it being carve. That would not change its personalty. Simply change its appearance to show its personalty better.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu No Way 0Reply
@Ryuu Personal belief.

oh that's interesting

how did you get to this belief?

@fuzala I guess

I'm always thought that things are alive, so to speck. That everything has its own personalty. Along with everything having a soul.

Ryuus avatar Ryuu No Way 0Reply

I'd wonder if they had religion but not if they had souls.

@fuzala it says "religious people"

You don't know if I'm part of a religion or not :P

@JohnJillky You don't know if I'm part of a religion or not :P

your profile says you're not

oh wait
never mind

are you religious?

@fuzala your profile says you're not oh wait never mind are you religious?

Actually no... Just making a point. Everyone ignore my comments!

I would wonder about the messiah, but not if they have souls. Every sentient creature has a soul.

Trishs avatar Trish Yeah You Are 0Reply

The truth is: there is no other human-like beings besides humans. It says somewhere in the Bible, so this post is basicly wrong